Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Green Station Wagon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Green Station Wagon

Hello everyone. This was my first scaler, and first crawler in general.

I wanted to make it look like a daily driver Cherokee that will get down on the trails... And that it will! It's a fine rig, and is surprisingly very capable considering the mild appearance. What it lacks in ground clearance, it more than makes up for with balance and poise. I trimmed and painted it to look as stock as possible, added wipers front and rear and made some factory-style cross bars for the stock roof rails. It looks fairly stock I think, like something you might see driving to work...

I used to like them loud when I was younger, but the older I get, the bigger the mufflers get, hehe...

Here it is at work... It sits pretty low on partial droop suspension with the helper springs removed, but the up travel is quite impressive considering the short 3.75" tires.

It's riding on 1.55 cut and shut Flat Irons, mounted on ABC Hobby wheels(made for the Genetic m-chassis racer). It's just a big station wagon so it can pull off car wheels

COG is very low so it will sidehill and handle really steep inclines with ease, even with no extra weight added to the wheels. Afterall, station wagons don't roll over as easy as trucks... Hehe

No body trimming and very minimal rubbing, even at full flex, thanks to the short tires and conservative wheel offset. I had to use 2mm hex spacers up front, so the inner sidewalls would clear the hub carriers. Actually makes it look more realistic with a slightly wider front track.

And here's the underside, a tried and trued SCX 10. Seen one, seen 'em all really, but they are fantastic to drive and this one looks even more low slung with the body removed!...

Tekin FX-R 35t combo is the motivation. Stock gearing. Nothing clever here, just a nicely balanced mix of slow control and wheel speed.

Vanquish dig controlled by a HiTec 645, to help add with tight maneuvers and slow descents. The green HR rings keep the Traxxas shafts nice and snug

Hand Bros chassis mounted servo kit with another HiTec 645 attached to it. Bent connectors on the panhard rod give a tad more clearance above the pumpkin, for extra down travel.

Here's a neat feature that is cool in theory, but I rarely ever actually use it, hehe... The front axle can be clocked or unclocked(is that a real term?) to adjust the steering/pinion angle by simply twisting this handy little turnbuckle

Last but not least, this is probably my favorite feature on this rig... The hand made custom muffler, lol. It was the first intricate styrene accessory that I made, and I guess I'm sort of proud of it. I always meant to come back and weather it some, because it looks like it just left the muffler shop, ha.

Well thanks for checking out my first scaler. It was responsible for getting me hooked on this segment of RC. It's a great rig, and I'll always think of it and smile.

]

Last edited by Bad Apple; 02-27-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: updating pics
Bad Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Green Station Wagon

Very cool looking chero!! I love these close to stock builds. That muffler / tail pipe is great!
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I think I'll take it outside for some new pics tomorrow. These are just awful.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice Jeep. I have a bit of a soft spot for 'wagons, but I like mine with an even lower COG - I drive a Subaru Wagon! LOL

just one teensy little thing - you have the exhuast running over top of the frame? a 1:1 would never do that....
heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I didn't want the exhaust tubing to interfere with suspension travel, or just stop in plain site, so that's where it ended up. Technically, the muffler is in the totally wrong location for a Cherokee anyway, but then again the whole frame and suspension is not remotely accurate either so I can live with the muffler inaccuracy on this one. It was just a fun thing to look at
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
Thanks. I didn't want the exhaust tubing to interfere with suspension travel, or just stop in plain site, so that's where it ended up. Technically, the muffler is in the totally wrong location for a Cherokee anyway, but then again the whole frame and suspension is not remotely accurate either so I can live with the muffler inaccuracy on this one. It was just a fun thing to look at

hehe, was just yanking your chain a little. Its all good! but you do need to do a little weathering on that - shouldnt there be a rust hole or two in that can?

Oh, wait - I see you are in NC - no salt... ok, maybe not rusty holes like we get up north here... hehe
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Updated first post with some not-so-craptastic pics. They still look fuzzy though... maybe my iPhone lens is cloudy, eh who knows.

Took the green wagon out for a quick spin today. First time driving it in a couple of months... Weathered the muffler finally, and already scratched it up, hehe. How's this look?....

The perfectly new muffler was really bugging me
Old 02-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I always appreciate a clean and simple build! Stuff that looks stock or mildly modified but can still hang with the big boys is great.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Now that looks like a muffler that has been around a while! LOL Nice job on the weathering!

Last edited by heartless; 02-28-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: cant spell...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

I think I've seen this truck driving around my neighborhood...
Looks great! I do love a stock-esque build. Something attainable by the common man in 1:1.
neverenuffrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the comments you guys. All of my builds(car and truck) have a normal-ish look to them I suppose. I guess I tend to build and paint them up the way I would want to have them in real life.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I like the little details like that weathered muffler. Nice touch!
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Great rig. Love the low stance and the 1.9 Irons on 1.5's. I think you really pulled off the look you were going for. Do you happen to have a wheelbase measurement?

That Hand Bros kit looks pretty new, where'd you get it from? It's the main thing I'm looking to find before starting a build.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! Wheelbase is 11.5". Everything on the rig was purchased a long time ago... I'm just getting a late start on posting my builds up, lol.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I saw this rig in the sale section doni had to look at the build thread.. You did a great job the set up really looks like a real rig.. I'm not big on Cherokees but this has changed my outlook I really like the rig.. Sucks that you sold it though ..I look forward to seeing what you do next man
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks j-bird. Yep, the Jeep has officially been sold. I'll miss it, but it went to a really good new home though... He's already ordering parts to enhance the scale-ness

I do have some other rigs already built that I need to post up, so stay tuned for some more real world style builds soon!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

No worries guys I'm going to keep the build going. This Jeep is going to be inspired by my 1:1 though it is a two door Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1362659892149.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  85.1 KB
So I got a ton of parts in and as it progresses I'll update. So far I just finished the interior and am about to do the wheels next. Only problem with the interior I'm going to have to remove the dig so I dont have to hack the interior away.

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Attached Images

Last edited by foratm; 03-07-2013 at 06:04 AM.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

4 wheel disc brakes going on. 1.55 stampedes with micky thompson mtz's. I can't wait to get this together. Some minor paint to go on the floor pan and then it's mounting time and real picture time.

Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

A quick mock up with my new little tires on it. I also got the ride height too scale of my 1:1 and the flex is almost scale too.

Attached Images

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You can follow my build thread here.
Roger Jr version 1/10

Green Station Wagon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon bodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2015 11:02 AM
soldering station? muddinscx Tools, and Procedures 17 10-19-2011 09:16 AM
New Brazing station prusik333 Tools, and Procedures 6 09-24-2009 07:53 PM