Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Lentsnh2012 builds: 1981 Toyota Pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 05:21 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lentsnh2012 builds: 1981 Toyota Pickup

Nice pick up Mike. Colour looks spot on.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #82
RCC Addict

I want it back It's a balst to drive and I hope it handles all of the beatings in its future.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

I'm very glad this one ended up in your hands brother! Cannot wait to see what you end up doing with it
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #84
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Nice pick up Mike. Colour looks spot on.
Thanks Matt,
I think it was a good choice over the flat black. I don't have anything in this color so its nice change up. Even weirder is that the hood is color matched most of my Toyotas have flat black hoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
I want it back It's a balst to drive and I hope it handles all of the beatings in its future.
I am hoping it brings back memories of my my chino clone... Miss that truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I'm very glad this one ended up in your hands brother! Cannot wait to see what you end up doing with it
Thanks dude. Hoping to have some more progress on it soon. Was working on building the Subaru engine the last 2 days but now I am missing a part so that's the end of that for now
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #85
Sinking with the ship

So I had been working on the Subaru engine but I am missing the cover on the one head for the AVCS solenoid so I figured I would do some more work on this today.

Duct tape... Solving problems since the invention of dirt. Marker light is solid now. I know they aren't suppose to be orange but I put the turn signals in them so that 5-0 doesn't bust my chops

Anyone who has owned a real Toyota knows they are famous for leaky windshield. My 4Runner leaked like a siv and Dean had to re do the window on the Hilux. When I had the Hilux restored they also put new glass in it again because they media blasted the frame to get rid of the rust. They also usually get so bad that they start to rot the pillar. Seems appropriate to add a little rust around the lower frame and onside of pillars

I goofed with the dremel and accidentally missed the real trucks bed seam... So apparently on this truck it rotted above it

This was a new technique I tried, use the dremel on back side then used a heated up safety pin to poke "rot holes" in it

Also rusted the bobbed bed seam and the spot welds that the real bed has and where they commonly start to rust

Inside the box I had painted it with the rust paint prior to painting the blue. I hit with one coat of the agent to start the rusting. I then today wet sanded it with some 1000 and added more agent. I should have went heavier with the metal paint as I accidentally burned through in a few spots but over all it looks the part

Other side of the bed

Next time I'm gonna sand the bed smooth after poking the rot holes, the raised melted plastic is a little suspect up close

The cab had a piece of rocker broken out of it, rather then repair it decided to just rust it out

Lastly, I added some upholstery to the dinky seats. They look a lot better now IMO

More to come, I like this little toyota, probably build some armor for it tomorrow maybe ?

-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 04-14-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:28 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Now that is well placed scale patina. . Don't forget the floor boards by the front body mounts.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #87
Sinking with the ship

It has been said that when this chucked up in the vise my building skills quantify and I turn out some pretty awesome stuff... I think I'm gonna have to agree, but I'll let RCC be the judge.

The magical bender that makes all of tube things awesomer

Years ago I would have to take measurement from scratch, now I cheat and mock my bumpers up off the TF2 bumper... It's very close to the real deal Marlin Crawlers bumper which is what my 1:1s had/have so that is what I generally base my bumpers on.

Bend all the everything

That'll work

Some supports, little bit of flux

Harris safety silv getting it done

Additional tube work

I almost didn't add the top tube work. It was a last minute decision but I think I am happy I did. I also brazed a 3racing winch plate right to it as well. I have a broken winch which well serve well for looks

Looks the parts to me

Started on some sliders too but then got roped into 1:1 vehicle disasters today...

The top radiator hose on my Chevelle has been on the edge of failure since I got it... Today it died... Replaced it only to find out while the coolant system was bleeding that the accelerator pump on the carburetor would rather spray fuel outside of the engine rather then into it and I won't even get started the 8.25 Xj rear in my step dads jeep... That was a mega fail... Oh and I hate my Subaru...

Toys truck, I heart them

End post

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 04-18-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Needs a smattering of dust. I can almost smell that burnt sugar odor of coolant.
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #89
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Larsen View Post
Needs a smattering of dust. I can almost smell that burnt sugar odor of coolant.
I actually want to do the "dirty windshield" look on it... I gotta read up on the methods or doing it. Going to finish the metal work and go from there.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I actually want to do the "dirty windshield" look on it... I gotta read up on the methods or doing it. Going to finish the metal work and go from there.
A little tape and a shot of flat clear.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #91

so is there a build thread or anything on your tube bender
8ball ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #92
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ball ice View Post
so is there a build thread or anything on your tube bender
No there isn't, although in the tools section here guys gave made similar versions of it. My friend who is a machinist made it for me some year back. It works amazing for solid 3/16 round.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Mike any updates on this rig.
THUG LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #94
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUG LIFE View Post
Mike any updates on this rig.
I wish... Been busy on another XJ lift kit side job again... Would rather be working on it but this side job is paying for some RC parts a friend made for me so it has to be done.

Mike
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Are those axle housings narrowed? The tars seem to be tucked in closer than normal w/ the 'yota axles.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Are those axle housings narrowed? The tars seem to be tucked in closer than normal w/ the 'yota axles.
Nope, they're run-of-the-mill cast Yota I axles. The LURC probably have a greater positive offset to them than other wheels.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #97
Sinking with the ship

I started the year off strong with RCs then once the weather broke I got sucked into fixing my Subaru, my 69 Chevelle got wrecked but it got replaced with a 68 SS Chevelle which I have been tinkering with some fixes and upgrades. Needless to say RC took a back seat. That was until I knew for sure I was finally getting out to do some some wheeling for the 1st time this year in the 1:1 83 Hilux. I wanted to take Lents old Yota here but I never quite finished making it run. I spent one night before heading into work making quick of the electronics and was able to get it functional. I had all my electronics left over from the Subarux so it's got a Tekin FXR, castle BEC, some 400oz hitec servo and bound with my dx3r. The wheeling trip was a little off schedule due to getting a flat with the trailer on the way up and having to get that taken care of which thank god we did cause we lost another tire on way home. With that said I didn't get much wheel time with the 1:10 scale truck but while my buddy fixed a flat on his diesel swapped Zj I found some time to get some wheeling in. Truck works pretty well, steering needs some help but I'll get to that eventually. It does look pretty good on the trails though

Future plans include finishing the interior a little more, maybe some pedals, a driver - thinking one of the new guys from rc4wd. If you look close the bed got a few goodies and I chopped the upper part off the original sliders for now and painted them and the front bumper black. Also went with some RPP hobby gear head wheels and swampers... Love gold center wheels.

Thanks for looking
Mike
Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

Without doors that truck just begs for a roll cage inside the cab. That might be a challenge, but it would look cool.
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJeep View Post
Without doors that truck just begs for a roll cage inside the cab. That might be a challenge, but it would look cool.
When the doors were cut out, that was the plan to build a simple cage that tied into the frame. Just never happened.

Mike, you have refined the little Yota to perfection. So much so it's making me jealous and getting the itch to build another one. Keep at it, brotha! As far as the driver goes, Charlie (my hard-headed 8" driver) was purchased from a randomly named website. PM me if you want the link.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 09-06-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #100
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
When the doors were cut out, that was the plan to build a simple cage that tied into the frame. Just never happened.

Mike, you have refined the little Yota to perfection. So much so it's making me jealous and getting the itch to build another one. Keep at it, brotha! As far as the driver goes, Charlie (my hard-headed 8" driver) was purchased from a randomly named website. PM me if you want the link.
I was actually thinking of some trail tube doors maybe for it. Inner cage is a possibility too, would probably do it out of styrene to keep it lighter.

Such an awesome truck even the new babe like it

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 09-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Lentsnh2012 builds: 1981 Toyota Pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JHTreyIII's Class 1 Build - 1981 Chevy Pickup JHTreyIII 1.9 Scale Rigs 321 11-18-2015 09:52 AM
808DA6's Toyota Pickup 808DA6 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 10-31-2015 03:00 PM
Lentsnh2012 builds: 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Lentsnh2012 Tamiya XC/CC01 27 12-13-2013 04:13 PM
toyota 4runner / 91 pickup ? phase10 Paint and Body 4 01-06-2009 08:02 PM
toyota pickup body 52crawler Newbie General 6 03-10-2006 09:35 PM