Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1.55 Tamiya Subaru Brat build (STRC)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 1.55 Tamiya Subaru Brat build (STRC)

After several failed (although cool) attempts to build a cool Subaru Brat, I have finally found my inspiration.

So while shopping online for a chassis I found this from STRC.

It is a short wheel base kit designed for the smaller Tamiya bodies.

So after placing an order for it, I decided the best route to go was to order a Dingo kit. Once my kit arrived I built the axles and trans.

After that I began making the links that come with the kit. The kit itself is very nice and very good quality. It comes with aluminum links and new hardware.

Frame rails in place. Notice how the kit places the skid inside the rails. This provide solid mounting points for the links and doesnt just let them rely on just the plastic tabs on the skid.

Axles were next. It will be running 4 link front and rear. The kit comes with a nice front 4 link plate.

After all of the cross members and electronics boxes were installed this is what it looked like. I used the stock SCX shock hoops and shocks for mock up. I have VP shock hoops and Proline 90-95mm shocks on the way.

Here is where my electronics will go.

Big Block Brat!!!!

Last edited by iluvdrt; 03-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1.55 Tamiya Subaru Brat build (STRC)

My Brat body showed up today from RPP.

The wheel base is perfect. Exactly 10" from wheel nut to wheel nut. I know these tires are 1.9's, I am ordering the 1.55 white steel wagon wheels from RC4WD, but I am undecided on tires at this moment.

As you can see the body doesnt fit very well with the stock shock hoops, and I dont want to cut the bed.

So today I ordered this:

Gear Head SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit

Its the Gear Head shock relocation kit. The idea is that I can remove the rear shock hoops and thus lower the bed to level it out.

Also had to send my ROC 412 into Tekin to get new bearings and cleaned up. It sounded crunch when running and got pretty warm even with no load. The remaining plans include:

using a Savox high Torque servo or the new HH servo,
BEC
MMP
ROC 412
32P gears
some VP axle goodness
XR10 shafts
Axial light kit
Spectrum DX3C remote and reciever

I also ordered some MG chemicals 422B spray silicon conformal coating. I heard it was pretty good. I dont plan on this thing getting into too much water, but I am building it for Axial fest and we all know how Parker is lol.

Big shout out to Ikaika at The CrawlSpace in Arvada Co. He has been awesome selling and shipping me the parts I need. He has (or) can get almost ANY scale part you want. Its a true Scalers store! Also RPP for having sick bodies and adds and ends!

So thats where I am so far.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

NICE!!! Ive wanted to do the same but so tied up with other projects. Looking good man keep it coming!
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I am hoping to have it done by May. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Updates coming tonight!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Awesome! Following this thread. Please let us know if there are any binding issues with the shafts. I've heard that may be an issue.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Here we go.

Got my 1.5 wheels and tires in. Mounted them up pretty quick. The Iroqs are huge. I wasnt expecting them to be this big.

I also got the shock relocation bracket installed I ordered. I decided to not use the lower brackets the kit came with and instead install them on the axle lockout. Being SWB and having the rear axle chocked made the brackets not very effective. I used Proline 90mm shocks. Everything is silky smooth. I also installed King shocks on the front.

This stuff had pretty good reviews for waterproofing so I got some. Coated all of the circuit boards and cases about 5 times. Hope it works!

Finally mounted the body. This will be the stance.

Mando Flex shots! She has a little more, but she isnt a flex monster at all.

Because I am running the Brat body and it is pretty thin, I couldnt go with a winch bumper or it would look silly. Here was my winch mounting solution. It is a very solid mount. Ill run the line through the bumper the Brat came with.

And here she is almost ready for paint!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The wheelbase is spot-on! Great job so far. The only thing I'd change is the tires. I just think these are too big for the Brat shell. Something in the 3.75 - 3.85 range would be ideal.

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yea 1.55 mud thrashers would look good tjere

Sent from an SG3-Mini
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastimesteve View Post
The wheelbase is spot-on! Great job so far. The only thing I'd change is the tires. I just think these are too big for the Brat shell. Something in the 3.75 - 3.85 range would be ideal.

Steve
Yeah they are kind of big, but I have big block power. I have some smaller cut bloggers I might throw on there. It actually looks pretty sweet though in real life. Reminds me of a TTC truck. Those are always out of proportion.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Well I got the body painted, lights installed and bumper and stuff on. Here it is; 90% done. Just need some inner fenderwells and bolt in the interior I am painting.

Last edited by iluvdrt; 03-29-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Looks mean man! Nice job!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Brilliant
I,ve owned a 1:1 Subaru Brumby ( thats what there called in Australia ) for 15 years
And you have just inspired my next build
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Sweet build so far! I think mud thrashers, baja mtz's or growlers would look awesome on that body. Feel free to post up any videos of the brat in action
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Sweet build so far! I think mud thrashers, baja mtz's or growlers would look awesome on that body. Feel free to post up any videos of the brat in action

Thanks man. I'll have to try a few different tires and see how she sits. Thanks for all of the help! You guys are awesome!

Just need to figure out why servo is chirping. Works great but it has an occasional loud chirp. Probably going to get a savox soon. Hitecs seem too problematic.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well its been awhile since I updated this.

OK, so after a few cosmetic changes, going back to my trusty HH 35T expert and BRXL combo (I hated the MMP and ROC 412) and Mirroring the trans (the twist was bad on SWB chassis) I took it to Axialfest. I also made headlight buckets and installed lights in there too. I ran it in the Ultra 1.9 class with 1.55's. Parker designed a sick course (as always) with a TON of water. We didn't win, BUT we did finish. We actually treated more like our own scale adventure and just took our time. Plus the course probably covered 20 miles easy lol. The only carnage was 2 sets of brushes and a ripped Super Swamper. So I changed them out for a set of PitBulls. Looked more scale as youll see. On with the pics.

This is the crew I started with. My friends from Colorado and my sons Orange Honcho. He did Ultra with me.

Last edited by iluvdrt; 01-10-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

At the end of Axialfest I won a RTR Jeep! Here it is slightly modded with new shoes, and STRC links and a Solar D772 servo (just thought I would try it, it actually does very well so far). It also has a custom MADSKINZ soft top.

After Axialfest, she got a bath and the paint touched up, and everything relubed. These are a few pics on a trail I built by my house.

I am going to continue to add bits and pieces to it, but overall this has been a VERY solid and reliable build. To date it has broken 1 WB8 driveshaft, and 2 sets of brushes, with 1 super swamper tire. Thats it. I probably have over 70 miles on it of tough driving, several good roll overs, complete water submersion, and a dog attack. It is truely my favorite and will go anywhere even if the wheel base is about 9 and 3/4".

Last edited by iluvdrt; 01-10-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm starting to feel the same way about my class 1 bronco - it pretty much hangs with any class 2 and is WAY more fun than driving my wraith.

Looking forward to starting my Amigo build so it'll have a class one buddy

You still need to post up some vids
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I've been thinking about a brat for my next build, this may have pushed to towards the decision
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
I'm starting to feel the same way about my class 1 bronco - it pretty much hangs with any class 2 and is WAY more fun than driving my wraith.

Looking forward to starting my Amigo build so it'll have a class one buddy

You still need to post up some vids

You're right. I need video. I'll have to make a small stand to hold my phone while I drive. Something to mount it to the remote.

1.55 Tamiya Subaru Brat build (STRC) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya DF-01 Subaru Brat K.O.M. Scale Videos! 1 06-03-2010 07:55 PM
Subaru Brat build sierradmax 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 12-11-2009 08:31 AM
Tamiya Subaru Brat RE-Release rockrunner Chit Chat 4 03-24-2007 06:31 PM