Notices

Thread: Noll11's Land Rover Discovery 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
What could go wrong?

Default Noll11's Land Rover Discovery 3

EDIT as of late Feb 2016. it's current state:

--------------------------
Meant to post a build thread, but never got around to it. I will post updates here as they occur here, though better late then never ).

Anyway, here it is. Nothing too special (scx10 chassis, NB LR3 body etc), but is the first time I've really done a custom-ish build, and it was quite fun. Still need some resistors to be able to wire up the lights, but its functional for now.currently running 1.55 rock crushers.

Pics:

As far as electronics go, it's still pretty basic;
HH 27t, ae-2 in waterproof box, hs645mg (waterproofed ), turnigy x3s, and a locked-up rc servo winch that I won a little while back.

Can't wait for the snow to melt

Last edited by Noll11; 02-23-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noll11's Land Rover Discovery 3

Looks pretty good, I have one of those sitting on a shelf that I need to break down to paint. Stance looks pretty good, are you running stock width AX10 axles? I think that shell on an scx10 chassis might very well be my next custom-ish build as well. Happy trails!
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
What could go wrong?

Thanks! It was a pretty fun build. I ended up filling in the sunroof (except for the holes for the custom rack), as well as the mirrors (they had broken off); other then that I didn't have to do much - it came apart for paining really easily.

The axles are the stock ax10/scx10 ones, yes . I may get some thinner ones sometime, or maybe not - while they protrude out of the wheel wheels, I think that they still look fine, and the wider stance gives it more stability.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
What could go wrong?

Just realized that I haven't updated this in over a year, oops!

The LR3 has been through a LOT of changes since I last posted.
Go give an abridged version, I eventually decided to rebuild it as a land rover from the SCX-exo hybrid that it had become, after finding a body and frame on here cheap:

And then i found a Rastar Lr3 body on ebay from poland, and got that all mounted up, changed the tires, and swapped to a SCX frame:

Which brings us to now (nearly):

Throughout the summer, the LR3 has been setup with 1.7 iroks, which, while great for the Rc4wd comp here in ontario that it made it through unscathed (in C1,2,3 AND kotf I must mention ) and the other events that I participated in, are a bit big for this body imo.

So, as it needed a rebuild anyway (and this chassis is going to be temporarily used for a build-off over at SBG, with the same tire/wheel setup) I decided to swap it back to the old 1.55 mud thrashers that used to be on it, albeit sandblasted and rusted now.

Here's how it sits now. Needs the bumper to be raised to touch the body (new mounts to be printed), body mounts, electronics, trans, and a rear bumper, but once the body's mounted that should all be fairly simple. Might also lower it a tad, and am going to give it some lights finally.

Rust

Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
What could go wrong?

Bringing this one back from the dead yet again! Going to be setting it up for G6/C1 use for this year.

After about 3 weeks shipping time, the SDI fenders that I ordered from Spain finally arrived, so I wasted no time cutting them up and epoxying em on:

Tire tuck with stock/sdi:

I like the approach angle a lot:

as I'm planning on running this in the Adventure Series events this summer (as well as the local to Ottawa "Call to Crawl" series using the same ruleset) in addition to it being a C1 rig, I need full tire tuck for some bonus points; plus, the challenge of making it all work is fun . As such, I have some custom-width GCM terramod housings that Chris whipped up for me coming from shapeways that should finish tucking the tires nicely. They're 174mm hex to hex instead of 190 like stock SCX.

I'm going to put the custom frame idea on hold for a while, but may come back to it at some point. Currently, I'm waiting on a set of used 4.19 baja claws to match the one I have up front, as well as some LEDs, wraith universals for the terramods, and some other stuff (now that I'm a ScalerFab team driver I'm working with them to have some custom F/R bumpers made up for this thing ).

In the meantime, I'll be figuring out electronics/drivetrain placement, and making some sheet aluminum bits for replace some parts of the interior that hit the frame etc.

Last edited by Noll11; 02-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Nice 1.9
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Nice 1.9
Thanks for moving it!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
What could go wrong?

alright, some progress! custom-width Terramods came in, as did a different set of wheels and tires and other misc stuff. Still undecided on final tire choice.

Started by taking apart the chassis; removing the front motor mount, sliders and skid.

/
While the skid was off the frame, I decided to slim it down a bit, just for the heck of it - turned out pretty well. I also removed some material from the topto have the t-case sit lower. I'll be filling in the few off center holes in the middle with epoxy soon.

Finished:

Made up all the links (other than panhard/steering), and assembled:

Need to decide how I want to do the rear shocks; put shock towers and add cutouts in the interior to match, or see about making a cantilever setup or trading for a dinky-rc kit.

More to come tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
What could go wrong?

Been a while, but it's time to update this. I have 8 days to have this running for a comp next Sunday, so this rebuild is kicking into high gear.

First up, my ScalerFab bumpers and sliders arrived. Despite being solely based off of rough measurements, the front bumper came out perfectly:

My main dilemma at this point is tire choice; the 3 options that I'm considering are below. Anyone have opinions on what I should run? (wheel choice doesn't matter currently; probably will use the SSD 1.9's)

I'm leaning towards the mud thrasher 1.9 clones currently (left over from the 5 lug landy wheels in pic #2).

Next up is interior fitment, and I need to redesign the front inner fenders.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

That's sweet. I've got a Landover body but not sure what I'm gonna do with it. I'm more of a Jeep guy. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #11
What could go wrong?

Thanks! Its a fun body to work with.

Alright, more progress.

Got the body mounted properly in its final positioning (may move the rear axle back 2-3mm). Just used some homemade brass L-brackets.

Also made some brass retainers for the rear tailgate (which folds out) as the ones that came with the body were lost:

Noll11's Land Rover Discovery 3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover Discovery 3 Holdencars Scale Videos! 0 12-22-2013 03:28 AM
Land Rover Discovery I tozrovr 1.9 Scale Rigs 64 06-23-2013 05:12 PM
g4 land rover discovery Jas97 Scale Videos! 0 12-29-2012 04:28 PM
2001 Land Rover Discovery SE V8 Nylintjunkie Chit Chat 23 03-31-2009 05:34 PM
Land Rover DISCOVERY 2.2 !!! VerB 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 05-13-2007 09:18 AM