Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FJ with a V8!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FJ with a V8!

There is a reflection of the line on the upper part of the fairlead. Perhaps that is what you're talking about?
makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #102
RCC Addict

ya that could be it...Just checking page 81 last pic you can see a close up of it more of what i'm talking about...Anyways I'll stop bother you about this .lol...Looking forward to the end results of this nice looking rig....
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Default fender paint

Fenders are sanded down. Without all the excess JBWeld you can clearly see where I rolled the skins around the rod. The JBWeld just smooths out and fills the gaps between this on the bent areas.

After sanding, they got some paint splashed on them and stuck back on the truck. There still just sitting there and not fastened down yet. I figure I'll get the EXO cage started before screwing these on because it is going to mount the same way. Then I can just do all that drilling and tapping at the same time. After putting color on these they look a little wider than I was planning for. But they should do the trick.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #104
ETM
Rock Stacker

This is one of the coolest Trucks I seen yet one this forum, Yet You do some cool custom work, Subed and like, keep it up
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Default windshield

Didn't have to post yesterday, but Windshield is in. My .060" lexan finally came in so I cut and trimmed it to fit, then used some halfround styrene to make the seals. I sprayed the seals flat black and then it was time for install. To get it glued in nicely I had to make a fine applicator tip for my glue. It's just a white glue that dries clear used as aircraft canopy glue for R/C planes. To make the applicator I just went through my styrene scraps and found a tube that fit over the nose of the glue bottle. I then heated it up and jammed it on as far as it would go to shape to the bottle. Then I rotated the tube where it was part the glue bottle and held a lighter under to heat it up. Once hot and soft I stretched it out. This made the tube shrink. Then I just trimmed it at the finest point with a exacto knife and ready to glue! It's easy to remove and clean in the sink also. Gonna be saving this...

Then for the installation. I taped the back seal into place dry. Then used my fancy applicator to glue along the edge this provided. I could then press the windshield in and the squeeze glued the seal down at the same time. Next I glued along the windshield edge on the outside, placed the outer seal, and then taped it into place. Today the glue was dry so I removed the tape and took some pictures.

I noticed my power wire came out in this pic. I must have pulled it out with my pinky while putting the windshield in. Easy fix!

Now, here's a sneak peak at the start of the exo cage. I'm going to make my windshield wipers, then press on with this.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Default cage

Some cage happened today. I'm running low on this rod and don't know if I'll have enough to finish. I'm gonna try and make all the big parts first, then do the triangulation pieces.

All pieces are removable so if/when I ever need to replace anything I can take it apart. For the front, I made the front pieces look like it because in real life you may need to remove that motor! I fabbed up some tiny brackets using a drill, bandsaw, and dremil.

While I was at it I also made up some brackets to mount the light bar. These ones were pretty tricky!

Then I bent up a bunch of aluminum rod, drilled and tapped it, and stuck it together. Again, it's not done, just got the basics done.

And since I had to fasten the cage, I also fastened the front fenders. The rod just sticks into holes I drilled in the frame, and then set screws clamp it in place.

Tomorrow I'm off work again so some window people can put windows in my house, so I hope to use up the rest of my rod. I just hope I don't need to place another order for more!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Default things and stuff

I made good use of today. I got the majority of my cage done. Almost out of tube, and broke my second tiny tap. So I ordered more of each. Just a couple more pieces I want. I'm thinking some side protection.

Once that was at a standstill I put all the tiny screws in the LED light bar, and also used my RC4WD spring assortment to get the suspension how I wanted it. I think it's close enough to final to get it set up. The rear is getting more weight, so it may need another spring change when done.

Last I figured out how I was going to mount my Kong Tow shackles. I used 1/4" aluminum rod, trimmed one end into a flat section on my bandsaw, then drilled a hole into the end for the tow shackle. To mount it, I drilled 1/4" holes in my bumpers and hammered these in with JB weld. They are tight, pretty sure they aren't going anywhere!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #108
Donkey Punch Champion!

You do some nice work Sir.

I got a parking spot next to this one...
Ryan’s FJ40: My BigBaller Buildoff Entry
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
You do some nice work Sir.

I got a parking spot next to this one...
Ryan’s FJ40: My BigBaller Buildoff Entry
Hey that a nice thread that you link and a great build by Brandon.The same concept but back in 2008..Was that maybe the prototype stage for the scx10 came from...Cause isn't Brandon from the Axial company...
Old 09-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Default lights

Yup, same inspiration. You followed it much closer. Looks great. I just took some from that, some from another, mixed in my own ideas, and ended up with this mutt! LOL

This light is bright! It's like the sun! Tried to get some night shots with the lights... Tricky. Maybe another day when I have more time to get camera settings just right.

This was how the camera decided was best

The rest are me messing with it.

Garage is about 30-40 feet away...

Last edited by makaveliks; 09-18-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Wow 40' unbelievable,got to get me some of those lights...Are they by Vanquish...
Old 09-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Wow 40' unbelievable,got to get me some of those lights...Are they by Vanquish...
Sure is. It's the 6".
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Default Brakes and tool box

My Vatera brake discs came in the mail, so on they went! Can't see them much, but when you can, they look great! LOL

I also started building my battery cover. I started with the tool box part. This is the hardest part of it. I made the front to fit the bed shape, then above the bed it's a regular tool box. Because of this it fits rather nicely, and this whole thing may not even need another means of holding on it on when done. It's nice and snug with the diamond plate.

I built the bottom from styrene then covered this with 1/10 aluminum diamond plate. I tried to maximize usable room inside it, while it keeping it easy to fit over the battery. I will build the lid and fuel cell another day.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Default tool box lid

Today I built my tool box lid. It was a paint with all these angles. Again I built a styrene lid, and then wrapped it with diamond plate. If you'll notice in yesterdays pics I put 2 ridges on the aft upper edge. Well on the lid I cut out the styrene in those areas so when I wrap I could put 2 depressions in the diamond plate on the inside of the lid. That's what will hold the lid shut. I used Dubro nylon aircraft hinges to hinge the forward edge.

I notice yesterday that the silver paint does not like the shoe goo I'm using to bond the diamond plate on. So for the lid, I left the inside bare for now, and tomorrow once the glue is dry I'll mask off the outside and spray the inside silver. Still need to file down some corners and clean off the sharpie marks also! I'll also get some inside pictures to show the hinges and parts that hold it closed.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

i love it! that is a sweet toolbox also.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Default Fuel cell

So a little later than promised, but here's the pics. I got busy the last few days and didn't have time to post.

I masked the diamond plate and then sprayed the back edge by the hinge silver and the inside of the box.

Here's the back edge

And here's the inside. You can see the hinges I glued in, the little bumps that keep it closed, and the funny shaped bottom... Like I said I tried to maximize the usable space!

I have been busy the last few days, but I still squeaked out a bit of time here and there... Enough to build my fuel cell. I built it to mimic a Jaz 32 gallon fuel cell. It has a flush cap. It's built from styrene and painted red. I figured since the cap would be red along with the body, I would make them one piece. The filler the cap would normally be installed on is instead a ring that bolts down with 1.5mm bolts around the cap. I also drilled a few extra holes for some 1.5mm bolts to pretend to hold the top on. I made a decal using a picture I found online printed out on some glossy cd label sticker stuff. The metal straps next to it will be the straps that would hold down the fuel cell. I don't think I will actually need anything to hold this on. We will see. The tool box feels tight enough to stay, and this will be attached to the tool box, but I might add a post going through the bed floor in the back with a clip under the bed.

As soon as the paint is dry I'll assemble it and make up some fuel lines!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #117
RCC Addict

What that it... lol
Here i was scrolling down to see how you mounted those small bolts...
I just bought a complete set of scale bolt for an scx10 build that i'm collecting parts for but the ones that i'll be using are 3mm scale bolts...
1.5mm now that's small...
looking real nice man.....
Just notice what that red thing in the back round behind the tank...
Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #118
Quarry Creeper

That's an RC4WD foldable land anchor!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Default battery cover done

Battery cover is done! I got it all assembled, made some fuel lines and attached it to the tool box. Covers the battery perfectly, and seems to need nothing to hold it in place. It stays on it's own! Makes swapping batteries very easy!

This is mostly done. Just gonna keep adding details till I can't think of any. Gotta make a driver, might make some wipers, floor mats, speakers, and an amp. Maybe another bar or 2 on the cage. Not sure...

Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Default Driver

Got a driver!

So I used galvanized steel wire to make a human "frame". Then I packed it with Sculpy clay and baked it in the oven.

Now I have a positioned rigid body shape I can apply a thin layer of Scuply for the final shape and carve my figure into it. Once completed I'll make a mold and make a lightweight hollow fiberglass driver which will be painted.