Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FJ with a V8!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default face

I thought I was done for the day, but then my wife was doing something so I used the time to get some more done. I started with the face. Figured get the hard part done. Trying to make it look like me. First I carefully added little bits of clay and rubbing it on smooth to get my head shape.

Then I carved a face in it. Came out pretty good I think. Next I'll decide to decide If I'm going to sew up tiny cloths for me, or mold the body with cloths... I'm kinda leaning towards sewing some up.

makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #122
RCC Addict

Default Re: FJ with a V8!

Holy frigg great idea you never seem to amaze me...i see you gave yourself some man boobs...nice touch.lol
You sure have talent man and I think you done this before....
Now who's doing the sewing job you or the wife or did you hire a seamstress..lol
I suppose clothing would look more realistic then paint except for the face and hands...Always looking forward to the next faze and learning a lot.
Keep it up....

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 09-27-2015 at 06:08 PM.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Holy frigg great idea you never seem to amaze me...i see you gave yourself some man boobs...nice touch.lol
You sure have talent man and I think you done this before....
Now who's doing the sewing job you or the wife or did you hire a seamstress..lol
I suppose clothing would look more realistic then paint except for the face and hands...Always looking forward to the next faze and learning a lot.
Keep it up....

Thanks! Actually I'd do the sewing... If it can be done with 2 hands, I can do it! And if I don't already know how, Youtube will teach me! LOL
Old 09-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #124
Rock Stacker

This is an awesome build, and the engine is beautiful!!
jezzami101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Default torso

Today I did the arms, hands, and T-Shirt. I need pants and shoes, then it'll be ready for mold!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Default floor mats/pedals

Didn't post any updates yesterday... Truck was in the shop getting a bare foot gas pedal installed.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Great job on the pedals but i really like the rubber floor mats are they made out of polystyrene or is it bought...nice touch...
Old 10-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

I made them from styrene. I had a jeep before and I know how slippery painted metal floors are when you get your feet wet or muddy... Didn't want my driver to put up with that! LOL
Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Well you did a great job,could of fooled me looks like real rubber...
Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Well you did a great job,could of fooled me looks like real rubber...
That's the result of the awesome effect of Krylon non-reflective nature color Camouflage Ultra Flat black, made with "Fushion for Plastic" paint technology!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Default Wipers/emblem

Here is another nearly useless update... Unless you enjoy looking at this as much as I do!

Cast 2 fiberglass windshield wipers. The mold was from a Suzuki tin top. I carved one styrene wiper, and did not want to carve the other... Now I got wipers for days!

Yet another confusing bow tie... It is cut out of .032" aluminum, edges beveled with jewelers files, then sanded down from 180 to 600 grit sandpaper and polished up!

Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #132
Quarry Creeper

Default Driver

I had yesterday off which left me all day to work on this! I decided to use it to get this guy done.

First, I sculpted a clay guy. This time I left the big wire guy out of it. I put plastic wrap over the seat and jammed clay in it, then carved out my torso. Once this was done, I jammed a wire in for arms, then did them, and so on until I had a 2 part person. I want him in 2 parts since he is not flexible it's a pain to get a solid dude in and out.

One I had the 2 clay parts I used Alumalite mold putty and made a mold.

I even textured the hair this time! This ear looks messed up because it broke off when I was removing it from the mold.

Then I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and some chopped fiberglass fibers and spread it out in the mold halfs and then jammed them together.
If any of you have worked with fiberglass before you know these chopped fibers will be easy to contour, but not nearly flexible enough to pick up all this detail. So after that cured up, I cut the flashing and then poured 5 min epoxy in the mold halfs and then jammed my hollow guy in and put the 2 halfs together over him. Now I have a guy! I'm gonna let this cure up some more because it's only been about an hour since the last step. Then I can begin paint and filing down the flashing. I'm going to start my passenger while I wait.

So why go through the trouble for hollow fiberglass instead of just painting the clay? This will show you...

Clay guy about 3.5oz

Normal action figure about 3.5oz

Hollow fiberglass guy about 1oz, plus he will be a lot more durable than the clay guy in case I drop him or something.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Default passenger

I got my driver all cleaned up and primed. Can you tell which is clay and which is fiberglass?

Fiberglass on the left!

So next it was time to start the passenger. I got her torso sculpted. I'm making her the same way I made me. I need to do the head and legs tomorrow and see if I can get the mold made too.

While she was in the oven I started putting some color on the driver. Not even close to being done with paint, but a little color and it's really starting to look like something!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #134
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
That's the result of the awesome effect of Krylon non-reflective nature color Camouflage Ultra Flat black, made with "Fushion for Plastic" paint technology!
Yes i used that similar stuff before it works great..
Old 10-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #135
RCC Addict

so i see you have Half of your wife made up.Will she be going along for the ride to..
Great job again.....
And i couldn't tell which was fiber glass they both look there both made of puddy...
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Default driver

My wife will be joining me! She was afraid to go crawling with me when I had my Jeep, now she doesn't have a choice! lol

I got her all sculpted and she's in some mold material now. Hoping tomorrow I can cast her.

I got me all painted up and glued in. I need practice with people... Not too good. I got some paints(Model Color) and there pretty sweet. Worked very well. In the end it could probably be better done by someone with much more practice, but for my first "weathered" person(or anything for that matter) I think it looks pretty good.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #137
RCC Addict

one thing missing "Glasses".And i see you didn't mold in any socks with those sandles,that would be uncool...
great work again for the first timer,man your a natural....
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Default stereo

Dang straight no socks... You think this is Alaska? LOL

Got my sidekick cast today.

While I was waiting on her mold parts and fiberglass to cure, I also sculpted and cast my stereo!

This should give it some kick!

I began painting the passenger also. She has the base coats on everything, tomorrow I'll try and finish her up.

And the stereo is installed!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #139
Quarry Creeper

Default passenger

Passenger ready to hit the road! I think I just have seatbelts left?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #140
Pebble Pounder

Your passenger looks scared. Nice work though, I appreciate all the effort to reduce weight.
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote