Thread: Scale EB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scale EB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkFordfan View Post
Those look freaking AWESOME!
Thanks, I still need to get the mig dialed in. i keep blowing through the 16 guage steel towards the end because the part is so small it heats up too fast but when I dial back the amps, the bead just balls up. May need to try casting them like the real ones.
802Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Can you silver solder them? Seems like it might be the way to go.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Or brazing?
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802Bronco View Post
Thanks, I still need to get the mig dialed in. i keep blowing through the 16 guage steel towards the end because the part is so small it heats up too fast but when I dial back the amps, the bead just balls up. May need to try casting them like the real ones.
Instead of turning down your juice, try turning up your wire speed. You'll have to weld a bit faster, but it will keep your heat from getting too localized.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Yup, but i wanted the strength at the threaded end where the torque could break a silver solder joint. Once I tacked the ends, I filled the rest of the joints with silver.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Instead of turning down your juice, try turning up your wire speed. You'll have to weld a bit faster, but it will keep your heat from getting too localized.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot on the next one. I'm still thinking about casting these. Could be a great excuse for making a small furnace for casting other future parts like axles and transfer cases and door handles, engine blocks, and....

HMMMMMM????
Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Weld them in steps, like you would weld in new sheetmetal panels on 1:1 automotive. Weld a spot or very short stitch and let it sit for couple minutes, then weld opposite area to help reduce warping too...works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Yes, I prefer to run fast and hot...just make sure you're getting penetration and not just laying bead on top of only one piece.

Quote:
Yup, but i wanted the strength at the threaded end where the torque could break a silver solder joint. Once I tacked the ends, I filled the rest of the joints with silver.

Great thread so far!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Ok, I have kept quiet for a while- the radius arms look stellar. In my opinion however it isn't gonna cut it for a tiny truck! (It will looks epic, but perform horrible!) No worries though! Keep after it! Your metal bits look much better than mine did!
You should absolutely run the R4 trans along with the LRTcase in this rig. And as such I would suggest you get those NOW as you can base a lot of your bracing and what not off of them. Narrow GCM terramod axles would be my choice, and that too directly interfaces with the radius arm setup. Choose your body NOW as well, my guess would be for either the vattera bronco or the HPI version. Wait, are you building a full styrene hardbody? Just throwing that out there! :d

When (or if) you get burned out, shelve it for a while and come back to the project fresh!

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Thanks LoneRanger for the compliment and advise on what to run. I love the look of the R4 but haven't really done enough homework on motors, esc's and axles. Open to any and all input there. I like the look of the rear toyota axle (looks close to a ford 9) and there look to be lots of options for the front. I kind of need to decide soon in order to get the correct axle tube thickness for finishing the radius arms, motor mounts and transfer case. On that subject, I was thinking about doing the wristed arm modification to get the articulation a bit better. I will also scale up the rubber C bushings for a bit more play. My wife also ordered the Tamiya bronco body for me for Christmas. I will be using it as a mold for an all metal body. I've already started bending up the floor support channels, inner rockers and floor pans. Need to figure out how to make a mini bead roller now or a way to press the beads into the floor pans.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD K44 axles would look awesome under that.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I do love those k44's. After looking around at parts, I can't figure out why hasn't anyone come up with a scale married transfer case?

Here is the start of the body.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

just found this... looks perfect. too bad i can't afford it :(

GCM Racing WebStore-2015 - R4 Married LRT-Case Pre-Order
Old 12-29-2015, 04:32 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

^THAT is what I was referring to. Forget what you can't afford, and buy what you NEED to have on this build! :-)

I used k44's on mine and hated them. Cheaply built, pot metal, etc.... Results may vary.

L.R.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

So here is the donor for the sheet metal

I made a beading jig to get the floor ribs.

Rounded a cold chisel to size and used it to press in the ribs.

Here is the finished seat platform.

I'm now on the hunt for a microwave oven to salvage the main transformer to convert to a spot welder ;)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome! I'm running the k44's on mine, they do look nice and seem to be plenty strong, but there isn't any options as far as gearing is concerned.
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
^THAT is what I was referring to. Forget what you can't afford, and buy what you NEED to have on this build! :-)

I used k44's on mine and hated them. Cheaply built, pot metal, etc.... Results may vary.

L.R.
I've had a set of K44's on my Class 1 S10 for almost 3 years with no issues. It looks like this will be a lightly wheeled rig, so I'm sure they'd be fine. They were made for this rig!

Quote:
So here is the donor for the sheet metal

I made a beading jig to get the floor ribs.

Rounded a cold chisel to size and used it to press in the ribs.

Here is the finished seat platform.

I'm now on the hunt for a microwave oven to salvage the main transformer to convert to a spot welder ;)
Best use of a paint can yet! Great job.....but the spot welder comment scares me.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Wow, that floor is looking fabulous!

Dig up an image of a 1:1 bronco floor pan to show them how nice it really looks!

L.R.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Wow, that floor is looking fabulous!

Dig up an image of a 1:1 bronco floor pan to show them how nice it really looks!

L.R.
Thanks L.R. here are a few more bits done for the floor. Front pans are almost done. Still need to get some measurements for the upper tunnel and get some more floor supports bent up. I'll get started on a jig for the rear bed soon too. Those floor ribs are going to be a bugger.

Test fit:
Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

This is an amazing build so far. I am also building a 1.5 bronco but not quite to this detail. The best part is I have a 1:1 68 eb and even time you post I go and look at the part. You are right on. Great job.
253Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253Smitty View Post
This is an amazing build so far. I am also building a 1.5 bronco but not quite to this detail. The best part is I have a 1:1 68 eb and even time you post I go and look at the part. You are right on. Great job.

Thanks a bunch! I'm trying to keep it as scale as possible (within reason-whatever that is)

Scale EB Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~The Scale Shop~ 2008 Scale Nationals Rubicon 2.2 Tuber Build STANG KILLA SS 2.2 Scale Rigs 103 12-10-2010 05:49 PM