Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: MST-CMX (Finally) 1.55 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default MST-CMX (Finally) 1.55 build

Finally, after a months wait, 7 post offices, and 2 signatures later, it finally arrived.

Very excited to build this up!! Been a while for a full build thread. Hopefully some helpful pics and measurements for others who are looking at this kit.

I've never built an MST before, so not sure what to expect. Open the box and found some nice goodies - looks like a towel and calendar, along with directions, exploded views, and a lot of very nicely packaged parts. Good stuff. On a side note, the dates on my part bags were QC dated 1/25, and my kit shipped 1/27.

Clearly this kit is designed for Tamiya bodies, listing the wheelbases for each body. Parts are insdie for the 242 and 257mm wheelbases, so this kit will accomodate the LC40, Bronco, Pajero (both Lexan and ABS,) Wrangler, Amigo, and Unimog bodies. The FJ Cruiser, CRV, and Toureag require longer links.

Directions are clear for the most part, and have lots of nice little tips here and there.

Nice tip...

Tires are the top thing in the box, and the first thing I always pull out and play with. The tires are 1.9, 90mmx30mm almost exactly.

Compared to a 1.55 Mud Thrasher, and 1.9 Dirt Grabber

Tires come with a soft foam, and feel pretty grippy. Very nicely molded overall. Not planning to use theme here, but they will for sure get used somewhere.

Starting off with the links - I'm not sure about the plastic links...but they seem sturdy and they are not exactly super long so we'll see how they hold up. If you are looking for some custom links, lengths (measured from the centers of the pivot balls) are:

Steering Links: 127mm and 75mm

242mm wb: 77mm upper, 89mm lowers front and rear
252mm wb: 77mm upper, 89mm lowers front, and 87mm Upper and 109mm lower

I found the link directions to be a little goofy. On the left side, it says build 4 sets each for a 242mm wheelbase. On the right side, it shows building only 2 sets each for the longer wheelbase. Doesn't really say about the other 2 sets. For the longer wheelbase, you need to build a set on the left and a set on the right. The fronts stay the same for both wheelbases.

More to come...

Last edited by OSRC; 02-06-2016 at 09:54 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MST-CMX (Finally) 1.55 build

Thank you very much for the build thread! I've been wondering about this kit. Where did you order it from that it took a month to arrive? Wow, that's awful shipping time, even from China.
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The tread and outer sidewall look very realistic and scale. Ashamed they have took half of the inner sidewall to put high speedtechnology.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

On to the chassis

Each step is pretty much laid out in a single bag, and all the parts needed for each step are there. Pretty nice. Here is the chassis bag for example. Chassis is steel C channel.

When building kits, I always use some grease on the screw heads (especially with machine screws!) to help them go in easier. I usually keep the stock grease from previous kits and use it just for this purpose.

Finished up - pretty basic stuff here. Shock tower switch side to side to accomodate the various wheelbases. Wish there were more adjustments for the shocks up top - 1 hole is kinda weak. Everything fit like a glove - overall fit and finish are excellent.

Transmission assembly all laid out..all plastic gears. I don't suspect this truck will see massive power (at least by me for sure) so the gears should be OK. No slipper kinda worries me though. I replaced the bushings with bearings - there's not a single bearing in this kit.

Here's where I ran into an issue - anyone who's built an Axial trans knows there some play in the layshaft assembly. This kit has it too, alarmingly so. I shimmed the heck out of things to keep it from moving around. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what, but I stared at the directions forever and couldn't see what I was missing. Almost looked like there's room for 3 bearings on the laysahft, and I tried to sneak one in there. No go. Not sure, and eventually just added a few 5mm shims and called it a day. Spins super smooth when all done.

No clue on gearing, picked a 55t motor since that's what I have laying around, and a mid size pinion (22t) and dropped it in. Can't really see it, but there's a screw poking out of the motor plate in the lower right - it's secured by the usual 3 screws around the layshaft, and a 4th one at the bottom. Much more solid motor plate this way. Zero flex here.

Next - Axles!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastimesteve View Post
Thank you very much for the build thread! I've been wondering about this kit. Where did you order it from that it took a month to arrive? Wow, that's awful shipping time, even from China.
It was listed as backordered when I bought it, so I knew i was going to be waiting for a while. Once it shipped, it hit our shores in 2 days. I was totally OK with that.

Sadly, the USPS had it within a 6 hour drive from here for almost 10 days for reasons I cannot even begin to understand. Visited 4 local post offices in the meantime. Started in NY (5.5 hour drive from here) then Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Lancaster, and then finally to Douglassville, then delivered. Literally went past my local post office 4 times.

Though somehow my Tower order from Illinois got here in 2 days via UPS.

Gee, I don't know why they are losing money....

Last edited by OSRC; 02-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The plastic lockers...

Time will tell, though once assembled they feel good - slop free. It's a pin shaft setup which then slides into a plastic slot. If you were going to do it out of plastic, this is about a strong as you could do it I guess. Even on a low power set-up like I plan on, can't see how this is going to stay slop free - eventually those pins are going to wear into the plastic. I plan on running them until they fail, so we'll see what happens. Gearing is 15/36 (2.4:1) for anyone who is curious.

Front axle all red and tacky... zero shims needed, parts fit is excellent!

Here's something strange - I've built a lot of CVD's over the years, but never one like this. Was looking for a missing piece (the inner barrel for the CVD) until I realized there wasn't any. The inner and outer axle are held together by a pin, that just fits in a slot in the inner axle. Once assembled, it rotates fine, it's just ... odd. Might be some strength concerns here too.

Front axle has a good bit of castor built in - about 8 degrees (ish) - nice.

Front axle finished up with a leftover Tactic servo - should be plenty of power to swing the wheels. Can i be honest on how much I hate the look of those steering links? They are going to be the first things to go.

Great steering angles and smooth at full lock, even with the hokey CVD's. Axles are 165mm from hex to hex. Great size for some smaller C1 builds.

Here's something you don't see every day. Guess I won't have any issues with side to side slop in the back. A 1 piece axle. Genius.

Driveshafts are all plastic except for the pivot balls of course. Pretty beefy though - again, time will tell.

Glued in some machine screws to toughen them up. Wild boars should be a direct drop in if these fail.

Getting there!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
On to the chassis

Each step is pretty much laid out in a single bag, and all the parts needed for each step are there. Pretty nice. Here is the chassis bag for example. Chassis is steel C channel.

When building kits, I always use some grease on the screw heads (especially with machine screws!) to help them go in easier. I usually keep the stock grease from previous kits and use it just for this purpose.

Finished up - pretty basic stuff here. Shock tower switch side to side to accomodate the various wheelbases. Wish there were more adjustments for the shocks up top - 1 hole is kinda weak. Everything fit like a glove - overall fit and finish are excellent.

Transmission assembly all laid out..all plastic gears. I don't suspect this truck will see massive power (at least by me for sure) so the gears should be OK. No slipper kinda worries me though. I replaced the bushings with bearings - there's not a single bearing in this kit.

Here's where I ran into an issue - anyone who's built an Axial trans knows there some play in the layshaft assembly. This kit has it too, alarmingly so. I shimmed the heck out of things to keep it from moving around. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what, but I stared at the directions forever and couldn't see what I was missing. Almost looked like there's room for 3 bearings on the laysahft, and I tried to sneak one in there. No go. Not sure, and eventually just added a few 5mm shims and called it a day. Spins super smooth when all done.

No clue on gearing, picked a 55t motor since that's what I have laying around, and a mid size pinion (22t) and dropped it in. Can't really see it, but there's a screw poking out of the motor plate in the lower right - it's secured by the usual 3 screws around the layshaft, and a 4th one at the bottom. Much more solid motor plate this way. Zero flex here.

Next - Axles!

Looks like this is going to be a fun build, nice work.
A tube of chap stick works very well for lubing screws before you install them. It is mainly wax, with no chemicals like in the grease, and it last forever.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 02-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

What body do you think your going to use?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
donnielovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'll give one guess....

Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

moving along... Shocks:

Pretty basic, plastic all around with clip on spacers to adjust preload, though do come with 3 sets of springs and bleeder capable caps. Assembled with green slime, and very smooth once assembled. They are 71mm from eye to eye as I measure them.

Mounted up.. Can't say I like the mount on top of the axle. Reminds me of the way wheel king axles mount. Though everything pivots very smooth....and if you wanted to mount the shocks behind the axle like an SCX10, you'd just need a longer screw.

Stock, the rear axle could use a few spacers on the upper links. Pinion angle is slightly downward.

Front looks perfect.

Note the little molded in brackets front and rear - assume brake discs and calipers will be released eventually. Nice little touch.

View from the bottom: Mounted up the electronics, and not exactly thrilled with where the wires come out of the electronics box - hang right near the driveshaft.

Bumpers on, electronics mounted... won't be using the 5000 mah pack, but it fits perfectly. Wheels and tires TBD, but 1.55's for sure.

As configured, about a 60/40 weight balance almost exactly.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

And a couple of body pics for reference... I didn't remove the bumper, just set them on there so they might be a bit high. Just to give a sense of scale.

Bronco

Mu (Amigo)

Pajero

Clod

And the LC40...what I'm going with since I have one laying around:
Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
I'll give one guess....

I love Jeeps too.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Nice to see another CMX being built

Quote:
Note the little molded in brackets front and rear - assume brake discs and calipers will be released eventually. Nice little touch.
They already exist

But I'm going to add some weight, just heavier than the ones from MST
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Clod
How close is the wheelbase on teh clod? is it dead on?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

No, the clod body is longer than the 2 wheelbases out of the box.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Is there anywhere to find one of these little rigs at the moment? Everywhere I look it's on pre-order or backorder.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Dunno, mine was on backorder for almost a month. I just ordered it and patiently awaited shipping...
Old 03-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ill probably end up doing the same, need another project until I can actually use my rigs on the rocks, was going to do a cc01 but this thread and a few others have me really wanting one of these
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Where'd you get yours? I'm seeing them at Black Star Hobbies in Florida...toying with clicking order...
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Hobbybest was the eBay seller I ordered from.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

MST-CMX (Finally) 1.55 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cmx way6317 Max Speed Technology CMX 19 09-04-2016 06:51 AM
Wranger YJ on MST CMX aircooled Max Speed Technology CMX 35 03-16-2016 06:16 AM
My first kit build ever finally done! Wehan G-Made Crawlers 3 05-12-2013 01:21 PM
finally got my build complete bigbeave1 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 03-04-2010 06:29 PM
I finally got to build a Toy Dumptruck 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 05-24-2008 01:49 PM