Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MF-01X wants to trail ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

I don't post too often and usually hang out in the CC-01 forum. I've never made a "build" post either so there's a lot of firsts here. I got a mf (jimney) because my cc was just getting tired from running it almost on a weekly basis. I built it completely stock, open diffs and all, and ran it. It wasn't great but it also wasn't a complete let down. It's a fun little rig!

So I wont bore anyone with the details because its a basic M-chassis Tamiya. Specs are pretty plain jane. It came with a "torque tuned" 540 can and a TBLE-02S esc. I put in a hitec hs5645 for steering duty.

After the first run I realized the tires were too small and on went a set of rc4wd mtz's. I also locked the diffs and installed a set of fast eddy bearings.

photo credit to Jay Rivers

Its funny, you never realize how many photos you DIDN'T take until you want to document something!

This is where I ran into a problem and started looking on RCC. After the trail run with the mtz's I had motor heat issues. Obviously because the tires are bigger. So gear down! Well just like the CC-01 you can only go down to a 16 and that's what's in it. I then discovered this thread and thought MORE MOTOR!

daniels needs a home for a 500kv ROC 412 or Suzuki Jimney goes RECON G6

In case you haven't noticed, I can't do anything normal. Daniels setup is the roc412. Hardly "normal" but I figured why not go crazy! Then this showed up in my mailbox.

Thanks JohnRobHolmes

So after installing it and setting up the ESC for brushless, which was overly complicated for a stock ESC, I took it out for a spin. Man is this thing buttery smooth! And fast! There's more control with this setup than I have ever had before in any of my rigs.

Unfortunately it's faster than I expected...

Last edited by THX_138; 08-29-2017 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Merge, minutes apart posting
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MF-01X wants to trail ride

Cool. I've been thinking about making one with locked diffs and a gear reduction unit.

Since you've got the "stubby" motor already in, you can just slap on a 4:1 or 3:1 gear reduction unit from RC4WD, and you still would not be at a loss for wheelspeed with 3S power. The size of the motor and reduction unit would not be much longer than a standard 550 motor, so the balance should not be affected. Though the GRU probably would not last very long at full throttle with that motor and 3S.

I used one on my 1.55 Tamiya DF-01 Porsche Cayenne Transsyberia project. Here's the photo for size reference. If you notice, I also used a "stubby" motor, a brushed one though. Good luck!

Last edited by K.O.M.; 02-28-2016 at 11:00 PM.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

^^ I've been looking for one of those stubby Tamiya "mini" motors for years. They are incredibly hard to find!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Wow that stubby brushed is SHORT! Much shorter than the HH stubby. I did try to put the HH on a rc4wd GRU but it's too long and hits the tire. I had the little guy out this weekend and it held its own fairly well aside from obvious shortcomings. It's under geared (9:1 overall), the tamiya esc has limited tuning options and the breakover is horrible. I'll be trying some different ways to fix all of my issues. My main concern is, in reverse the motor feels like it is not sensored. Basically it cogs until it starts rolling. I only have two esc's that are sensored brushless compatible. Both are this stock tamiya unit. I'm going to order a mamba micro X as this is a great combo. Especially in this little rig... Now where did those 3s packs go?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

That Tamiya stubby brushed is crazy cool. Never seen one before and now I want one.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
^^ I've been looking for one of those stubby Tamiya "mini" motors for years. They are incredibly hard to find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
That Tamiya stubby brushed is crazy cool. Never seen one before and now I want one.
Do you thing that there is enough interest to do a limited production run? Would John Holmes be a willing accomplice in making a monster version? I would think he would have no problem with the endbell, as it's standard, the can, magnets, and armature would have to be custom.

Sorry to derail your thread, but I do have one spare, NIB, that I would be willing to ship to Holmes Hobbies if we can convince them to reverse engineer these things so we can buy them.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would buy 5 immediately.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

MF-01X wants to trail ride - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Trail Runners trail ride Oct 3rd Badd Tennessee 2 10-02-2010 07:49 PM
Scale Trail Runners food drive and trail ride Badd Tennessee 11 01-03-2010 07:31 PM
Scale Trail Runners food drive and trail ride Badd Alabama 8 12-27-2009 10:36 PM
Scale Trail Runners food drive and trail ride Badd Kentucky 4 12-21-2009 06:52 PM