Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: I'm an idiot - Wraisender 1.55 rock missile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I'm an idiot - Wraisender 1.55 rock missile

It's been a few months since I've built a new rig. I've moved back across the country and due to my current living circumstances I can't build a chassis from scratch. Right before I left Portland I picked up an Ascender roller to use for parts. Earlier today I fell in love with some parts in the for-sale section that I jumped on. I've always liked the BGR stuff for the wraith, but the price of it new always kept me away from it.

This should be a quick build, I've already got most of the parts and the stuff I bought today should be here Saturday.

I'm still a bit undecided on the Jeep body. I do have a discontinued Proline Bronco for the Wraith that I've been saving.

Plans -
Lightly used wraith cage with BGR stinger, LCG cage and sliders
VP CMS mount
Traxxas Big bores with Mini-T springs
Gearhead droop mounts incase I need extra tuning options
DCW Skid Risers
Ascender axles
Custom Ti links with revo ends
SS SCX10 trans with extended outputs
Tekin Pro 4 3300
MMP
MIP's
Hitec 7955
Voids and Growlers
Spawn interior to help keep things "light"

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:32 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: I'm an idiot - Wraisender 1.55 rock missile

Parts arrived a couple hours ago. I was so excited for this build I slapped it together real quick.

I'll need to play with link lengths a bit. The VP panhard is a good 3/8" too long and I think I want to shorten the front links slightly and lengthen the rears. It's mocked up with the Vaterra Bronco links, surprisingly close to what I need.

Debating doing the "tummy tuck" mod to the cage and raising the skid up.

Time to do more unpacking so I can find my 3/16 Ti stock, Pro 4, MMP, BEC and servo. I'll make the links up at work on Monday when I have access to a good bench vice.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 03-26-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

One more post until I get links made, the interior fit and decide on using this body or the bronco.

Got my electronics tracked down, the trans and my Ti rod. Still need to find my other set of voids, too many boxes of wheels and tires... Played with the links and shocks quite a bit and have the rear now sitting where I want it. I still need to plan on making shorter fronts than what's currently on the truck. Overall I'm super pleased with how this is starting, should be a quick, simple, fun build when it's all done. Debating on using the BGR stinger, the more I look at it the more I think it's probably too big.

It definitely needs the skid raised up to the next roll cage bar to fix the antisquat. I have some DCW risers on the way but they won't be enough. With the shocks fully extended the links are horizontal.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, stinger as you said is way too long, shorten it. I wouldn't do tummy tuck, it brings the wide part of the cage down closer to the rocks. Use DCW link risers and longer shocks. Otherwise looks great, what's your wheelbase at currently?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very nice, stinger as you said is way too long, shorten it. I wouldn't do tummy tuck, it brings the wide part of the cage down closer to the rocks. Use DCW link risers and longer shocks. Otherwise looks great, what's your wheelbase at currently?
Thanks. I was digging through my hoard of parts and found a NIP wraith bumper I'm going to cut the side tubes off of for a true stinger. I'm not too keen on modifying a BGR part that someone else may want.

Current wheelbase is 12-1/8", I'll be right at 12" when it's all said and done, I want to move the rears back another 1/8" and the fronts in 1/4" to keep the tires out of the grill.

My DCW link risers will be here tomorrow. Due to running the mid-length big bores up front and the long ones out back with the Gearhead droop kit my suspension geometry is too far out of whack for the risers alone to work. Since the shocks aren't changing, the "tummy tuck" will only raise the skid, it won't move the entire chassis down. Instant Center and thus, antisquat is a very real thing with RC, hence RULRS and the like working. The Link Risers alone would move the IC to the wrong side of the axles if that method along was used. Once I have a few more components installed I'll be measuring vertical CG of the truck to set proper antisquat to give me a baseline on suspension tuning. Blame years of 1:1 race cars that handle well for my antics.

Enough ramblings about suspension tuning. I didn't get the links made up today and I probably won't have an opportunity before Saturday. I can't let my employees see me use my facilities for something not work related, even though I'm supplying all of the tooling and consumables.

MIP's made up, interior fit and spare wheel located. I'm really just lacking finalization of links. SSD parts on the way to keep this from breaking when I really start to punish it. DLux Zero Preload cups and a fresh set of losi springs on order to really get this tuned in. I think I'm going to stick with the Jeep body and have been talking with a fellow RC friend about him doing some killer airbrush work for the actual body. I need to find a light bar I'm happy with, my "spare" VP 5" is about 1/2" too long, maybe one of the new PL offerings would work.

Minor update pic, not much changed when I took these. Bumper looks a little weird since I haven't finalized some of the leftover nipples. The devil is in the details.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 03-26-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Minor update

Tried to make links and failed. The last shop I managed had a lathe and it would have made things much easier. The Grade 5 (6AL4V) titanium 3/16 rod I had just twisted as I tried to thread it. I'll save this rod for when I try to build a titanium cage on a later build.

So I broke down and bought some VP links in the correct length. First time I've bought their links individually, didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. Went with the same length in the rear, I can use cut down Jato ends if I want extra length, and 1/4" shorter fronts, to keep the tires out of the grill at full lock and full articulation.

Also ordered from RPP;
2mm scale hardware for the wheels
SSD Diff Covers - Silver
SSD Knuckles - Black
SSD C Hubs - Black
STRC lockouts w/oversized bearing - Black
Wraith rear swaybar
A new Jeep body
A bunch of shims and misc hardware to finish

Ordered from DLUX
Zero Preload spring cups
Set of Mini-T springs for suspension tuning

Monday I'm going to stop by a local sign shop to talk to them about a custom wrap for the body. What I'm wanting is way too complicated for what I want to paint.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 10-08-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Current wheelbase is 12-1/8", I'll be right at 12" when it's all said and done, I want to move the rears back another 1/8" and the fronts in 1/4" to keep the tires out of the grill.

My DCW link risers will be here tomorrow. Due to running the mid-length big bores up front and the long ones out back with the Gearhead droop kit my suspension geometry is too far out of whack for the risers alone to work. Since the shocks aren't changing, the "tummy tuck" will only raise the skid, it won't move the entire chassis down. Instant Center and thus, antisquat is a very real thing with RC, hence RULRS and the like working. The Link Risers alone would move the IC to the wrong side of the axles if that method along was used. Once I have a few more components installed I'll be measuring vertical CG of the truck to set proper antisquat to give me a baseline on suspension tuning. Blame years of 1:1 race cars that handle well for my antics.
Tthe stock plastic one is about right. Are you going to due some plastic tube work on it, needs the top tube to look proper?

Maybe, on the skid. I like my setup with lower links close to parallel with the ground at ready to run weight. 40% up travel, 60% down travel from there or close to it.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Tthe stock plastic one is about right. Are you going to due some plastic tube work on it, needs the top tube to look proper?

Maybe, on the skid. I like my setup with lower links close to parallel with the ground at ready to run weight. 40% up travel, 60% down travel from there or close to it.
Probably not. When I'm not working 70+ hour weeks I'll sit down and draw everything out in Solidworks and have some new stuff made. Including the modded cage. Right now I need it a mostly bolt together build so I can go blast this at some local race tracks and have some fun on "testing" days.

I agree on the link placement, but right now I'm parallel at 100% down travel. Once ride height is properly set I'll be WAY off on antisquat.

DLUX zero preload adjusters and new mini-T springs arrived today. A plethora of other parts are expected to arrive Thursday. I'll use my half day Friday and this weekend to get the build mechanically and electrically finished, then off to a higher skilled painter for final details.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well... This seems a bit extreme. Almost time to see if the HD pinions can take the abuse!

*edit*

Another day another delay. I was hoping to test drive and start suspension tuning this weekend but my Wiha 2mm nut driver broke. I wasn't even putting that much torque on the scale hex nuts. My LURC driver won't fit into the wheel recesses so yeah, on hold until new tools arrive.

At least ride height & wheelbase is set. VP links, SSD C Hubs, Knuckles and diff covers installed, SSD lockouts with oversized bearings installed along with all of the running gear minus electronics. I'll get the "tummy tuck" complete tomorrow to correct the Instant Center.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Another crazy week at work, another few hours to spend some time working on this.

Paint is here and I finally settled on paint schemes
Tummy tuck is done
CI foams are in and scale hardware installed

After dinner I'll hack up the interior to fit the tummy tuck mod and build a new, higher detailed dash. I'll also get the body trimmed up and ready for paint. If I can stay awake long enough I'll start mounting electronics.

Next update will be this rig finished.

Confirmation of why I did the tummy tuck. Vertical CG runs as an imaginary line through the rear axle, vertically that intersects the horizontal CG. It's not perfect but just under 100% antisquat. I wish I had adjustments in the height of the rear lower links at the skid. I may need to design a new skid and upload it to shapeways.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Freakin sweet, update?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Freakin sweet, update?
Nothing too serious, I've been away on "vacation" and have been working mostly on my next, 2.2 based rig.

Slick Willy

I did manage to get the body trimmed up and painted. While on vacation, one of the friends I was staying with had a cricut vinyl cutter, so we cut up a bunch of vinyl to use as a mask for this, otherwise I would have gone cross-eyed.

Regular black and white Spazstix, with their candy red and silver backer. Zero repeating patterns...

I did wind up less than pleased with how glossy the interior was. I knew, it was the back side of lexan, I shouldn't expect anything less. Heading to HobbyTown in the morning to see if they have any black flock like used in the railroad stuff to help add some texture and reduce the gloss. When I get back I'll build the new dashboard I've been wanting.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 03-26-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden102408 View Post
Looks killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! It's getting there.

Finally had a chance to work on this some more. Styrene work on the dash is complete. I need to do some filler and get it painted. I want to add some additional details before I do such as an a/c system for the helmet.

The dash opens up quite a bit of space for me. The tummy tuck pushed the trans up against the lexan. The additional detail is nice but really just keeps things from rubbing. It's not perfect but not bad for a first 3d dash.

Maybe next week I can do the little bit of filler that I need and make a battery/electronics tray.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fixing Pics
Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Had more time today than expected... paint is still tacky. Hopefully tomorrow I can shoot the flat clear and start the detail painting. Surprised with how the paint turned out with it being 31 degrees out and humid.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 04-27-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fixing pics
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looking good.

Tamiya makes some great flat paints, the best quality model paint I've ever used. Tried some really small detail work couple weeks ago with 000 brush and their little bottle of brush on paint, came out great!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looking good.

Tamiya makes some great flat paints, the best quality model paint I've ever used. Tried some really small detail work couple weeks ago with 000 brush and their little bottle of brush on paint, came out great!
Thanks. I stuck with Spazstix because it's lexan and styrene and I wanted it to look uniform. I'm actually really pleased with how this turned out. The stickers didn't come out perfect, but whatever, it's more than good enough and what I get for mixing whiskey and RC building.

I need to order some sticker paper or something so I can print some gauges. I know my hands aren't steady enough to try painting these.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 03-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Finally got around to finishing this. Had a blast with it's first few runs and didn't take many photos. I'll get it back out this week when it's not raining and take some more.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #18

This is awesome! I really should make my Wraith a 1.9.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is awesome! I really should make my Wraith a 1.9.
Thanks! It's a lot of fun and pulls some amazing lines for being a 1.55 rig.

Took it out today for an extended run. 4 hours added to it's life today. 3 hours in I DESTROYED a cvd. I knew it was only a matter of time. The bang was actually much louder than expected. Oh well. VP VVD's on the way. Was having too much fun to stop and take more pics.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Super excited to test out the new VP VVD's this weekend. Trying to start up a local SORRCA series and have a new location to scout out while I finish my new C2 rig.

Had some cogging issues that I believe are related to a failing sensor port on my 4 year old MMP, I can't confirm this yet though. I picked up a mamba x hoping it's as smooth as my monster x in another rig. It can't get any worse lol. If this doesn't do it I'll try another motor that I have. Even if it doesn't I really wanted the on the fly adjustable drag brake offered with the new x series.

Some pics for extra value. The blown up Vaterra CVD that I'm now super surprised made it the hour hike out from where it happend and the new VVD's.

I'm an idiot - Wraisender 1.55 rock missile - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genetix Drift Missile!!! genetix_drftr Non Crawler RC's 29 09-08-2015 09:04 PM
Missile Car Dr. Kustom Non Crawler RC's 2 03-14-2015 06:10 AM
2J's Half-Ton $h!t Missile 2JSC 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 4 02-15-2014 11:44 PM
New French Anti-Tank Missile _Jason_ Chit Chat 11 02-17-2007 08:14 PM