Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Trading the 1.9's for 1.5's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trading the 1.9's for 1.5's

An addiction to scalers has hit me hard and the only thing to do about it, is to run smaller tires. That being said, this project is based on an ECX(RGT, FTX, HSP, whatever) Barrage kit.
Apparently I'll spare the build picks since I didn't take any. I have to say, it was one the most straight forward kits to build, since it's aimed, targeted, or marketed towards beginners. Just make sure you grease the pre-assembled transmission.
As mentioned, the 1.9's had to go. The wheels were nice, plain looking plastic 5 lug "steelies." Not a bad thing, but the tires were glued to them. Those tires are licensed Falken AT's which have a decent feel to them with foam that should work pretty well, but they're huge at 4.30."
This won't work at a 10" wheelbase and narrow (Tamiya body) width.
All this aside, I specifically bought this kit kit for a body my wife bought for me at the Recon G6 event at the Blue Rocks Campground in Lenhartsville, PA. Awesome event, and we had a great time breaking our toy turcks there. Exclusive RC was there with many toy turck parts accessories I couldn't live out.
The thing that caught my interest was a lexan mid 70's Datsun 620 pick up body that came with 3D printed parts, like the grille, windshield wipers, door handles, mirrors, and tail gate latches. I've owned two Datsun trucks of that era, a '74 and a '78 and they were so awful they were cool. It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Now that body was designed to fit the Barrage and most drift cars. I could have ran it as is (lexan), but that's not my style.
Just like the build, I didn't take any pictures so you'll have to use your imagination.
I used the body as a mold to pour a two part resin mix (Alumalite, great product by the way) in to make it a hard body. Unfortunately I didn't give myself enough time to pour it evenly, so there were a lot of air pockets and imperfections.
Sometimes you have to break a few omelettes to make an egg, and I ran with it. A couple of coats of Krylon Rustic Orange, or as a friend called it Pumpkin Spice, some sanding to dull it, a poor job black washing it, and the end result is the Rotson. Combine that with a set of S.D.I. fender flares and I think we have a winner.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk
tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trading the 1.9's for 1.5's

I should have split this up instead making one, long boring post with a bunch of words then pichaz. Anyway, you can see that after some crude trimming away of the majority of the fender flares the tires clear much better.
I also switched the wheels to Landie steelies to reduce offset and improve clearance.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few pics my wife took of the Rotson in action at an event at White Rose Hobbies in York, PA. She was driving an SCX 10 with a TF II Toyota body.
If anyone would like detailed pictures of the resin pouring process, I can upload them. I used a Proline 1991 Toyota 4Runner body as the mold to make a scale version of my 1:1 1994 pick up. I have yet to post a build thread, since I'm undecided about a few details.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I am in love with that body - back in high school, a best bud of mine ran one of those (and YES it was ORANGE!) with the smallest Goodyear Wranglers you could buy on aluminum 5-slot wheels.

It was only 2WD but we would just point it at mud and floor it - and we'd kinda hydroplane across these bogs that had lifted Chevys and Fords on gumbo mudder tires completely stuck...

(and those flares are the perfect touch!)

Ouch!

I just found the body... that's some serious change for just the shell.

Might need to file that away for later, as in MUCH later...

Lovin' your build, though!
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I am in love with that body - back in high school, a best bud of mine ran one of those (and YES it was ORANGE!) with the smallest Goodyear Wranglers you could buy on aluminum 5-slot wheels.

It was only 2WD but we would just point it at mud and floor it - and we'd kinda hydroplane across these bogs that had lifted Chevys and Fords on gumbo mudder tires completely stuck...

(and those flares are the perfect touch!)

Ouch!

I just found the body... that's some serious change for just the shell.

Might need to file that away for later, as in MUCH later...

Lovin' your build, though!
Yes! Nothing better than showing up the big money lifted trucks with a 2WD Datsun. Were these available as 4WD's? I know Ford Couriers (Mazda B-1800) and Chevy Luvs (Isuzu) were.
Exclusive RC does charge a premium for it, but you have the option to buy just the shell for $55. At the G6 event they were selling them with the 3D printed parts for $100.
The same body can be found on eBay for $45:
http://www.rc-bap.com/epages/8131586...ucts/BAP-SG-06
The APlastics body looks identical to Exclusive RC's.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

^^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was just thinking how crazy it would be to drop $130+ paint for the body on a Barrage!

I will bookmark both vendors for future plans...

Could drop it on a little MST, as well...

But, nope - the 620 was never offered in 4WD - that happened when the relatively characterless redesigned 720 "boxy" Datsun came out.

I just have always loved that little accent line that starts midway through the door just under the window... coolest detail EVER!

I am also pro "tiny-tires", as my Ascender '72 Chevy K10 became so much more fun to drive with a set of 4.19" diameter RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 1.7" tires on Raceline beadlocks.

(I have a Bomber for my "bigger-tire" fix, heh-heh...)

EDIT: that link took me to a German language site and a Toyota body, not a Datsun... LOLz

I navigated around a bit and found a 52 Euro-priced listing for the Datsun, then searched for the APlastic Datsun 620 on fleaBay and found a Ukrainian vendor selling it for $45 plus (gulp) $25 shipping...

So, I suppose the Exclusive RC version isn't priced too crazy.

Although the APlastics listing claims it comes with headlight buckets... So I suppose it doesn't "need" a separate grille.

Here's APlastics website (non-eBay):

https://aplastics-rc.com/store/bodies/datsun-pickup

I've owned a 1:1 Nissan Hardbody 2WD and Nissan Frontier Desert Runner (2WD w/4WD suspension)...

Last edited by durok; 08-26-2018 at 11:47 PM.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
^^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you!
No problem, I spend a lot of time derping the interwebs so others don't have to.

I was just thinking how crazy it would be to drop $130+ paint for the body on a Barrage!
Yeah, that's getting into Traxxas Bronco territory.

I will bookmark both vendors for future plans...

Could drop it on a little MST, as well... "thumbs up"
I forgot about the MST being similar to the Barrage.

But, nope - the 620 was never offered in 4WD - that happened when the relatively characterless redesigned 720 "boxy" Datsun came out.

I just have always loved that little accent line that starts midway through the door just under the window... coolest detail EVER!
The body style and appearance of these trucks made up for how terrible that were mechanically.

I am also pro "tiny-tires", as my Ascender '72 Chevy K10 became so much more fun to drive with a set of 4.19" diameter RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 1.7" tires on Raceline beadlocks.
Small tires definitely present a challenge. I have a set of the MT/R 1.7's (Great tires and foams, BTW) on a leaf sprung SCX 10 with an old Tonka pick up truck body. It's like walking around with your shoes tied together, but it's another situation of it being so bad that it's good.

(I have a Bomber for my "bigger-tire" fix, heh-heh...)
I have a mostly stock Wraith that my wife likes to drive and a Gmade R1 (that needs some work) for my big tire needs.

EDIT: that link took me to a German language site and a Toyota body, not a Datsun... LOLz
Sorry about that, I had copied a link from another thread I posted in.

I navigated around a bit and found a 52 Euro-priced listing for the Datsun, then searched for the APlastic Datsun 620 on fleaBay and found a Ukrainian vendor selling it for $45 plus (gulp) $25 shipping...
I didn't see the $25 monies for shipping before. That's the breaking point.

So, I suppose the Exclusive RC version isn't priced too crazy.

Although the APlastics listing claims it comes with headlight buckets... So I suppose it doesn't "need" a separate grille.
It does come with head and tail light buckets, and nice vinyl stickers.

Here's APlastics website (non-eBay):

https://aplastics-rc.com/store/bodies/datsun-pickup

I've owned a 1:1 Nissan Hardbody 2WD and Nissan Frontier Desert Runner (2WD w/4WD suspension)...

Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Figured I owe you guys some better pictures, so here you go.
The resin of the body is not holding up well since it was deformed from getting too hot in direct sun light trying rush the paint curing process, reshaped with a heat gun, damn near crushed in a footlocker, reformed with a heat gun, warped, heat gun, you get it. It's starting to sag like a boiled hot dog now, so there might v2 coming soon.
P.S. those are 1.9's on it. I'm trying to dial them in for another build based on an ECX, plus I've about had it with trying to make small Pit Bull tires work. Suggestions are welcome.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What are these tires?!? Look like the old school Goodyear MTRs!
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper03 View Post
What are these tires?!? Look like the old school Goodyear MTRs!
They're SDI Scale Doctors:
http://www.sdi4x4.com/index.php?id_p...duct&id_lang=1
PM me if you're interested in them.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Trading the 1.9's for 1.5's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.5's on axles j182j Tires and Wheels 8 06-30-2009 08:10 PM
1.9's vs 1.5's Gr00v3 Videos! 2 01-11-2009 11:14 PM