Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T

I found me a driver and made a console the fill the space between the seats. This guy is ugly, like me, but with hair.

I made the console with some black styrene and got it all in place, then dropped some glue on top of it. So I had this Proline power invertor in the scale parts bin that made use of that drop of glue. As though I was lacking on the scale points for this rig.

I've thought about making a simple internal cage for this truck. But I think I'll save that for my next build. I do need to make some sliders though.

I.D.10.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

I went out driving to try and hone my skills for the upcoming comp. I need to get some videos going.

We were able to spot the elusive Nightmare Buggy. Its like Bigfoot, only seen briefly and then scurries away and over any obstacle in its path.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Distressed look on the canvas top makes the truck
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Distressed look on the canvas top makes the truck
Everything I own tends to look distressed with use.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

I moved a trailer in my backyard Friday to discover this little dirt drainage from the recent down pour of rain. So being Friday, I figured it was time for Friday Flexing for the Kaiser.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Very nice build Andy, your attention to detail is amazing! I'm looking forward to maybe seeing some of the modified XR losi axle under the old Kaiser.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

I went out early this morning and had a little play time with the Kaiser. I did put an old 13.5t brushless Novak motor in it to see how I like it. It ran alright, but not as well as the 13t Crawlmaster. It had some stall points when going uphill. It did have more wheelspeed, but this thing is not a U4 machine. I'll probably move to a Holmes 2700 Stubby motor in a few weeks.

This is one of my new favorite locations in Bella Vista, AR. Its the spillover for Lake Anne. There are several very large rounded rocks and even more just rocks. I've made it a habit of getting my C3 and C2 out here and trying to make it from one end of the creek bed and navigate to the top, where these photos were taken.

Our local crawling club did have a comp at this location. I wish I would have been able to make it. Too many other things going on with the family.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.D.10.T View Post
I went out early this morning and had a little play time with the Kaiser. I did put an old 13.5t brushless Novak motor in it to see how I like it. It ran alright, but not as well as the 13t Crawlmaster. It had some stall points when going uphill. It did have more wheelspeed, but this thing is not a U4 machine. I'll probably move to a Holmes 2700 Stubby motor in a few weeks.

This is one of my new favorite locations in Bella Vista, AR. Its the spillover for Lake Anne. There are several very large rounded rocks and even more just rocks. I've made it a habit of getting my C3 and C2 out here and trying to make it from one end of the creek bed and navigate to the top, where these photos were taken.

Our local crawling club did have a comp at this location. I wish I would have been able to make it. Too many other things going on with the family.

Nice spot Andy, and the Old Kaiser is looking good. I was hoping to see one of those new axles in it by now!
Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.
Ernie
Old 06-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Nice spot Andy, and the Old Kaiser is looking good. I was hoping to see one of those new axles in it by now!
Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.
Ernie

I'm trying to sell some stuff so I don't dip into the personal funds for the parts. I'm very tempted to write an IOU and get the finishing parts moving.

It is a great spot to go and play.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I finally got a few parts in to begin the front axle transformation. Codyboy makes these neat little brass trumpets that allow the use of SCX-10 II chubs and knuckles. The universals are slightly modified SCX-10 II also. He recommends using the SSD chubs because they are clockable. I decided to go with some Hot Racing brass knuckles to get a little more weight.

I'm painting the exposed brass a satin black. The steering link is about to become stainless. I might have to make a modified steering ball end out of some Delrin before I'm able to get done with this little modification.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Here is a quick mock up with some paint in place. I realized I didn't have all the knuckle bearings on hand when the assembly began. I also cut off the panhard hook up on the right knuckle. This is going together very very well. Great precision on this item. CODYBOY!

Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Here they are mocked up. I did cut off the pan hard mount on the SSD c-hub. I really love how these axles have such great mid-axles clearance. Great for C1 builds.

My son's GT40 in the background.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I now have it all installed. Here are some shots of the axle finished with all the hardware. The nice thing about this new axle is the weight and the steering angles. I also changed out the motor to a 2700kV Holmes Hobby Stubby. There may be some adjustments to the transfer case in the near future. And I threw on some wheels that are for my next 1.55 build. I hope to get out and test drive it this weekend.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I now have it all installed. Here are some shots of the axle finished with all the hardware. The nice thing about this new axle is the weight and the steering angles. I also changed out the motor to a 2700kV Holmes Hobby Stubby. There may be some adjustments to the transfer case in the near future. And I threw on some wheels that are for my next 1.55 build. I hope to get out and test drive it this weekend.

Your Kaiser is looking good!!! Have you run it yet to see if you notice improved steering angle? The guys running the same style upgrade to the ascenders are very happy with improvement, along with the added weight down low.

A couple photos of my 715.

Keep up the good work!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-24-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Your Kaiser is looking good!!! Have you run it yet to see if you notice improved steering angle? The guys running the same style upgrade to the ascenders are very happy with improvement, along with the added weight down low.

A couple photos of my 715.

Keep up the good work!
Ernie

That's really sweet! Those wheels POP! I like the rust work on it. It works well with that yellow.

I haven't been able to run it yet. I hope I'll get that chance tomorrow morning. I have to work out the bugs. I need to make some steering adjustments.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Great looking rig. Looks great on 1.55
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

I made it out this morning, early morning. I was able to test my new additions. The axle mod with the SCX10 II universals and axle ends worked great. I have phenomenal steering to the right, not so much to the left. I know of ways to get that to work.

The new motor worked great for a while, then started making electrical squeeling sounds. Then worked great, then screamed a little more without moving. I'm going to check out my connections and then maybe another esc that is sitting in the tool bin.

Also, these 1.55 Slingers tires worked better than my Stompers. I'll pretreat the Stompers with some Simple Green and go back out for a test drive on Wednesday if possible.

Ernie, check out that steering angle!!! Awesome eh!?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I made it out this morning, early morning. I was able to test my new additions. The axle mod with the SCX10 II universals and axle ends worked great. I have phenomenal steering to the right, not so much to the left. I know of ways to get that to work.

The new motor worked great for a while, then started making electrical squeeling sounds. Then worked great, then screamed a little more without moving. I'm going to check out my connections and then maybe another esc that is sitting in the tool bin.

Also, these 1.55 Slingers tires worked better than my Stompers. I'll pretreat the Stompers with some Simple Green and go back out for a test drive on Wednesday if possible.

Ernie, check out that steering angle!!! Awesome eh!?

That is such a cool looking truck out on the rocks!!!! Love the steering you have now, is the one issue your having because of rub?
I have enough brass machined from Lunsford racing to do three more scale axles and then that will be the end of that run, so if you know of anyone looking at your axles and like them they need to jump on them quick. When they are gone I'm not sure I can talk Kelly into cutting any more. I can do them on my lathe, but it will raise the price quite a bit.
Anyway, what a great project, please keep us posted on progress.
Ernie
Old 06-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That is such a cool looking truck out on the rocks!!!! Love the steering you have now, is the one issue your having because of rub?
I have enough brass machined from Lunsford racing to do three more scale axles and then that will be the end of that run, so if you know of anyone looking at your axles and like them they need to jump on them quick. When they are gone I'm not sure I can talk Kelly into cutting any more. I can do them on my lathe, but it will raise the price quite a bit.
Anyway, what a great project, please keep us posted on progress.
Ernie
It is not a rub issue. It's an arm movement problem. I'm going to make an L arm that will attach to the servo arm and drop some. It will then allow me to get the optimal steering in both directions.

Thanks again for the complements. One of my next projects is an M37 with a set of Losi axles on leafs again. That is why I grabbed two. I'll be using a different drivetrain on it. It will be for one of my boys to drive. They really like driving this rig too. It has the loud gear sounds (Losi axles) of the older military style trucks. And they tend to drive slowly and enjoy all the little bumps on the path.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

The Codyboy designs axles are awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TT Kaiser XS The Crawl Space General Crawlers 58 07-02-2017 12:37 PM
1974 Kaiser Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 1 02-09-2007 04:15 AM