Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T

I bought this body off of a member here last year. I suppose that is apparent, since its only the second day of the year. But I sat on this a while and thought of the approach I was going to take. So blah, blah, blah.

The body is a complete custom built Kaiser. It has a full interior, lights, drop bed, and the bed is separate. I'm going to build this old truck with some LCC axles on leafs, a t-case, Toyzuki motor mount, CMS, and some other stuff I have laying around not being used.

So lets start with a single photo of the nose of the truck. I forgot to take more photos of the body. Or they are on my crashed laptop that needs repair.

And next to wonderful fun of making LCC axles into a leaf sprung project. I used some Delrin. The photos will do better than my words.

Last edited by I.D.10.T; 01-25-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Photo not showing
I.D.10.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

Default Re: Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T

Any more pics of the body? Cool build, I have a few of the 1:1 Kaiser M715s myself
Farmer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer91 View Post
Any more pics of the body? Cool build, I have a few of the 1:1 Kaiser M715s myself
They are on the laptop. I am a little further into the project than what I show. So if I take a photo now, there will be too much progress in two days.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The bed is a drop bed and had holes in it for the shock mounts. I decided to fill in the holes and then try make it blend and all that good stuff.

The bottom of the bed was too low for cab/chassis height. So I had to remove the bottom of the bed from the sides and move it up almost 1/2". This allowed the bed to sit on the chassis and line up accordingly with the cab. I did not take photos of that.

Next, I was able to mount a Toyzuki front mount I've had on the bench for the past half year. I'm going to use a 13T Holmes CrawlMaster and FXR I have had sitting around for a while too. I did have some bearing binding issues with my mount. I may have a really worn shaft or something, but the spur would kick to one side when full throttle was given and the pinion would bind. So I increased the distance between the bearings with a thicker Delrin plate. The original plate in the middle is 3mm and I increased it to 8mm. This allowed me use a Delrin block on the sides, which gave me more height options. Also, I notched a small spot on the back of the shaft for the driveshaft to catch. I angled it toward the bearing so that the shaft would make itself snug against the bearing with a couple of shims. After the new spacing, the binding was gone. We have a smooth full throttle and some screaming worm drives.

My gears will look ridiculous. I have 32 pitch gears. My spur is a 48t and the pinion is a 22t. Don't forget I am running LCC axles. My t-case is a 2.18:1 over and under style. I'm thinking that I may have to change the t-case later to a 1:1.

My upper drive shaft is a MIP. The lower shafts are some Losi Night Crawler steel shafts I've had also. I had a perfect fit.

The laptop is going to the shop this afternoon. So I hope to fill the gallery next week some more appealing photos.

Here is a quick look at my rear end. Just imagine you don't see that tool box now.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Good idea for mounting leafs to losi axles! Very nice build!
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I did a little work on the front end. First I removed the wire grill and found a nice vertical grill.

Second, I put some paint into the grill to give it a little more depth.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

OK. I'm going Pulp Fiction on this build. No order to the build. So enjoy the ride. I suppose I say that since it is near completion and I didn't think it would be this quick. Plus, I have photos locked up on my laptop that I cannot access.

So today I am going to address the bed area. I'm putting in a tool box/battery box. I'm going to use a 3S 2200 lipo. That should give me plenty of run time. I'll probably be tired of the screaming axles before the battery runs dry.

First off I'm going to drill a hole in the bed to allow the battery wires to drop out below the bed. Then, I'm going to make a 3 walled box for the main body of the tool box.

The Velcro is there to hold the battery down. I suppose I anticipate me rolling over. I hope not.

The box is styrene and that printed aluminum diamond plate. I'm going to make the lid for it to out of the diamond plate. Here it is cut, shaped, and painted flat black. You will see also the rear corner plates I made for the bed.

So now to the jerry cans and the corner. I had some plastic left over from a New Bright JK interior, which came in very handy for this project. I cut and shaped it into the following jerry can holder.

Then I used some diamond plate, shaped it, and painted it flat black as well.

Photobucket has quit working for me at this time. I'll try to add them from a different route shortly.

I then drilled through the jerry can, the holding box, and the body to mount these. Then I used some double stick tape to hold the diamond plate.

Imagine pictures here ->
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Photobucket is now working.

Here you finally get to see what the truck looks like.

I also completed the corners. So, I'll add some photos of them.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Oppan Gangnam Style

That looks really good, I especially like the Rock Stompsrs on it. Nice job!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
That looks really good, I especially like the Rock Stompsrs on it. Nice job!

Uh, that was not to be mentioned yet. Remember the Pulp Fiction style build. I'm going to plan on showing my CMS last along with the tires and wheel choice. I believe next on the random list of unorderly build practice will be the bumpers.

Yes, thank you very much. I saw that a fellow member had that exact wheel and tire combo for sale on here a few months ago. I jumped on them like an ugly stick to my face. Those were actually my second choice for tires. My first were to be a set of Genius. But I am trying to keep this build to a minimum and on budget. I have about a buck twenty five left ($1.25).
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have some bumpers being made by Lue at Mattzilla Industries. I like the ole redneck style of large tube bumper. I really had thought about really going redneck and getting a nice stick that looks like a log. Or maybe a scale sized 2" x 12". I'm from Arkansas, so I get to see that on a regular basis.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looking good!
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I was able to recover several photos from the mother board crash of my laptop. So here is where I mounted the servo and the front winch. The servo was originally mounted on the Losi servo plate, which was then attached to the chassis. The final measurements with the winch made it to wide and the servo plate was removed and attached to the chassis with the servo mounts only. It allowed me to have the extra 2mm for the servo winch.

I mounted the winch on a servo plate and then used some delrin blocks to attach it to the chassis. There is a little bit of fine tuning not yet pictured. I'm also going with an FXR esc for this build with a CC BEC.

This photo was taken before I replaced the tranny plate spacer.

It is probably overkill to have this KMS winch in here, but I had it and it fit the application.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ole jeep looks good. Glad it went to a good home. Are you gonna make a hard top or leave the soft?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Ole jeep looks good. Glad it went to a good home. Are you gonna make a hard top or leave the soft?

I had actually thought about trying to do a roll cage similar to this, but while keep the soft top too. Maybe have each easily removable.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

The would look pretty sweet. Or just build the roll cage and make a bikini top for it.

cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

First off, I think its about time for this thread to go to page 2. I feel like I'm scrolling down forever.

Second, I suppose its time for me to address the transfer case change to a 1:1. I'll do the original t-case on page 3 if it ever makes it there.

I bought a simple China 1:1 case. I knew that in order for this to work nicely, I would have to angle this case onto the skid plate. As with this build and several other builds, I will make something scratchy and then improve it later if it works. I had an old butchered SCX skid and a block or three of Delrin to work with on this project. I actually have a drawer full of Delrin blocks.

I'm still using the old Night Crawler drive shafts at this point. For two reasons; they work and the front would rub the motor if it were larger in diameter during a full compression.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Next in line is for a rear winch to be mounted somewhere on the chassis. There is a winch hole in the rear, so I think I'll just have to use it. Blumaro and I have been making the Post Office some extra money by shipping this winch back and forth to each other. So, I'm gonna stop that cycle and use it. I'm going to set my 3rd channel to 2 position or maybe just have it retract. The little bolt on the end will release the line when pulled. I have an idea for a cable that comes out the side which will resemble a winch controller. That will be my pull cord. I'm sure it will be made out of some line and Delrin.

I have a spool of winch line that will work nicely with this project.

WOW! That was fast. I used a thick piece of Lexan and two small blocks of Delrin to make a mounting plate.

I used an antenna housing to run the cable through the DELRIN blocks that I use to attach the bed to the chassis. Man, that Delrin is some handy stuff.

And here is the cable hanging out my winch hole. That sounds gross.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Now that I have the winch mounted, I need to make it functional. It does have the pull bolt on the end that will let the cable pull out. So I decided to make a faux winch cable with a controller to travel to the winch and come up from behind the jerry can. I decided to use an old winch cable and antenna housing. My first run at this idea, I used an aluminum cap that was in a parts box. Its the one that says HR. The only problem with it was it hanging and leaving the freewheel mechanism open. So my second run at the idea was with a very firm wire. This one worked great.

I also made a cute little winch controller from you guessed it, Delrin. I had a hole drilled in it to run the "winch cable".

Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Things are getting close to wrapping up now. So here are some more scaled wheels by adding the hubs. I am waiting on the bolts.

Red winch hook for the rear. The front is identical.

The seats are changing colors. They are now going to be flat black vs. gloss green gray.

Old Kaiser Custom build by an I.D.10.T - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TT Kaiser XS The Crawl Space General Crawlers 58 07-02-2017 12:37 PM
1974 Kaiser Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 1 02-09-2007 04:15 AM