Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 6x6 Peterbilt Semi Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 6x6 Peterbilt Semi Truck

As is typically the case for me, pics could be better. It looks nicer in person, but here ya go....

Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Progress.... Waiting for Semi Joe to get more Peterbilt aluminum grills in stock.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

A member on another forum asked about the paint I used. It's all just Dupli-Color from the local auto parts store: Bahama Blue and Arctic/Dover White. The white is definitely a softer eggshell color. Kinda old school looking and precisely what I was going for (I got lucky!). The blue is nice, but I was really hoping for a teal.....just couldn't locate any I liked. Everything is cleared with Dupli-Color gloss, as well.

Anyway, here's the paints for those who may be interested:

Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Paint and clearcoat turned out really nice, no runs or drips,
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Tommy, here's a pic of a small electric bulb remover, you can find them at electronic stores, or if you have a science and surplus store nearby. It's made out of rubber, with cups at both ends.

I work at a water plant, and we have little bulbs in recessed panels that make it hard for removal and replacement with just fingers, so these come in handy, and they're under a buck a piece.
You're the man, Mike! I picked up a tiny bulb R&R tool from ebay and it looks to be working like a charm. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Just had to see what the painted body looks like on the chassis with the wheels/tires installed....

Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Glad it worked out, and that is one beautiful rig
Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, Mike!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

On June 18th some Texas folks are getting together with some RC construction equipment and trucks to play around. I'm stoked about running my Peterbilt with some other rigs so that was enough motivation to finally get off my butt and work on the next step of the truck: mounting the transfer case.

I decided on an Axial trans as a t-case. It's going to hang down pretty darn low, but that's okay. This thing isn't a rock crawler. And if the low slung nature of the t-case causes too many hang-ups, I can always build a new bracket with the t-case oriented in a different direction. But with it the way it is, the front driveshaft easily clears the transmission so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

First I took some folder material and started mocking up the overall length of material needed and where I'd want to bend it (approximately, of course).

Then I transferred it to some 1/8" THK aluminum flat stock and began bending it. I just used my vice so the bends did not come out too cleanly. That's okay. It'll work for now and doesn't look awful.

Was able to re-use the stock rear driveshaft to join the trans to the t-case.

Using the stock main driveshaft for the front now. This may change soon, though.

The t-case sits a bit above the framerails so I had to trim away some of the sleeper cab floor.

Now it'll sit nice and flush. I just need a rear driveshaft to join the t-case and the middle axle.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, I bet this thing is a riot on the trails
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Looks good, I bet this thing is a riot on the trails
Thanks! I hope it will be. Couple more pics....

Showing off the new Lesu aluminum grill.

Front driveshaft and t-case skid just visible below.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

I'm really loving this truck! It's given me so many ideas. Great job!
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Beautiful grill, very nice!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #114
Oppan Gangnam Style

Well, I have to say, it's a winner for sure.

Earlier today I was watching scale truck videos and came across a vid of an r/c semi with working hydraulic palfinger. Again stoking my fire to start messing with miniature hydraulics. All i can say is it's going to be expensive. Plans are for a dump truck and stuff...

Also, I gotta say I'm jealous you have people near by to run semi's with.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
I'm really loving this truck! It's given me so many ideas. Great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Beautiful grill, very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Well, I have to say, it's a winner for sure.

Earlier today I was watching scale truck videos and came across a vid of an r/c semi with working hydraulic palfinger. Again stoking my fire to start messing with miniature hydraulics. All i can say is it's going to be expensive. Plans are for a dump truck and stuff...

Also, I gotta say I'm jealous you have people near by to run semi's with.
Thanks, fellas!

Dean, at the moment I really don't have folks to run semis with. However!! Yesterday at a crawl I met a fellow crawler who has several construction dozers/excavators and a semi. He's going to host a truck and construction meet on his ranch in a couple weeks. If it gets good support and participation, we're going to plan on a more pavement oriented get together sometime soon. We're hoping we can get it to take off around here!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #116

That's stunning! Great work.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Okay, folks, I need some suggestions! All throughout this build I've had the plan to paint the chassis the same blue as I used on the truck. I've toured a Kenworth and Peterbilt plant and on some chassis they would paint the entire chassis/suspension the color of the body. The entire rolling chassis would be assembled and then rolled through the paint booth so EVERYTHING would get painted. I love that look and it gives the truck a very "high end" appearance.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it (and soon!), but want some thoughts on it before I commit. Most trucks will have a plain gloss black chassis/suspension, but I want this truck to have a "well cared for" look to it and think a painted chassis would suit it, but I'd like to hear y'all's thoughts.

Here's a few trucks that I found inspirational. They look like work trucks that are taken very good care of, but they're not all out "show trucks". This is the look I've envisioned, for the most part....

Now take note of this one... The hubs were also painted the same color as the chassis/body. I'd like thoughts on this, as well. I'm leaning toward leaving mine black, though. Suggestions?

For what it's worth, the fuel tanks will remain chrome, but the straps will be painted blue. And here's a pic of the truck making a cameo appearance at the drift track in Houston last night:

In the background....
Old 06-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #118
RCC Addict

I think you're spot on painting the chassis blue. I'd paint the hubs blue too because they'd be on the chassis when going through the paint process. Plus it'll really pop with your chrome wheels. Don't think twice, start painting. Great job so far for sure!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I think you're spot on painting the chassis blue. I'd paint the hubs blue too because they'd be on the chassis when going through the paint process. Plus it'll really pop with your chrome wheels. Don't think twice, start painting. Great job so far for sure!
Ben
Thanks, Ben! That's my train of thought, as well. I'm pretty sure the chassis getting painted, but am still open to hearing more opinions. And thanks for the input on the painted hubs. I guess I could always paint them black again afterward if need be.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Definitely paint the chassis! It would be the perfect touch to really set it off. With the beautiful paint job you already did on the cab, it would just look incomplete if you didn't. There's my two cents for ya.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

6x6 Peterbilt Semi Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peterbilt 379 DayCab Semi Truck (Tamiya King Hauler)... justinart24 Non Crawler RC's 67 11-01-2018 01:14 PM
**VIDEO** 1/14 Scale RC Peterbilt 379 DayCab Semi Truck (Tamiya King Hauler) justinart24 Scale Videos! 0 11-05-2013 09:50 AM
6x6 Swivel Frame Semi OlYelr 1.9 Scale Rigs 34 11-27-2012 07:28 AM