Looks great!
Thanks friend.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BIG BOY

Only had time to make the rear cab wall and put another piece of styrene on the bed wall today. Busy, busy, busy...

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

This is coming out GREAT, especially for your first 'true' attempt!! I do have one small critique...
The only thing catching my eye is the spacing between the crew cab window and the front window (I think your crew cab portion is a little too long), I've had to redo crew cab conversions a few times because of this problem. However, I'm sure this would be a rather simple fix compared to what you've already accomplished!
scalecrawler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalecrawler18 View Post
This is coming out GREAT, especially for your first 'true' attempt!! I do have one small critique...
The only thing catching my eye is the spacing between the crew cab window and the front window (I think your crew cab portion is a little too long), I've had to redo crew cab conversions a few times because of this problem. However, I'm sure this would be a rather simple fix compared to what you've already accomplished!
Wow good eye. Didn't even notice. I'll have to fix that. Thanks for looking and input.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

OK. Taking scalecrawler18's advice I went to work on the cab. Pulled out the dremel and cut out a 4mm section between the front and rear door.

Them glued everything back together.

Now just have to let the glue cure then more sanding and filling, sanding and filling, sanding and filling. Like I said before. Good eye scalecrawler18 .......lol just kidding. Thanks friend.

After all this cutting, graphing,transplanting, gluing, filling and sanding I feel like a mad scientist. I think I'ma change the name of this beast to Frankenstein.

Last edited by Rickleo; 02-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: Frankenstein

OK still got a lot of work to do on the body but put it aside for now to work on the axles. Finally got in my second set of Lesu semi wheels and hubs in the mail yesterday. Thanks semijoe. I purchased the set of Yota 2s used so I gave them a good check inside and out. Found one screw head stripped and when I to use a slightly bigger hex to get it out the screw head broke in half. It was a real pain to get it out. But once I was inside I found that everything was A+. Well greased and very little wear. I purchased a pair of 10 bolt diff covers for them too. The rear went on fine. But when I went to bolt the cover on the front I realized that the hole wasn't drilled all the way through the axle to except the threads from the bolt. Bummer. Here's how the axles look now.

If you look closely you can see the new cover on the rear axle and the original on the front. Now I'm debating whether to run them like this. Pour the original cover back on the rear. Or order a whole new front axle housing and hope the holes in that one are drilled all the way through. Has anyone else ever dealt with that problem?

Moving forward. I was planning on making my own frame from 1/2 inch brass tube but ended up purchasing TF2 frame rails off ebay. They're pretty nice. I've had leaf springs and screws laying around for a while so I started wrenching. After a few minutes and a tired, sore wrist I had this

Then I wanted to see what it looked like with wheels and tires

Went this far so I had to throw a body on

This give me an idea for my next project. A topless, doorless K5 trail truck. I need something for the dually to tow. That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

A little more progress on this beast. Decided it was time to cut this perfectly good brand new frame, so with one swift karate chop I did this.

Propped up the two frame pieces up and put the body on to get the wheel base.

Using the 1\2 inch square tube, I cut off a 8 inch piece and split it down the middle to extend the frame rails.

Put the body back on to see if I got it right. I'm liking it.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I'm more of a Ford fan, but my k5 is one of my favorite trucks. Great build you've got going and the fact that it's a crewcab dually just puts it over the top! Keep up the great work!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I'm more of a Ford fan, but my k5 is one of my favorite trucks. Great build you've got going and the fact that it's a crewcab dually just puts it over the top! Keep up the great work!
Thanks friend

Old 03-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS

Add some tail fins and it a land yacht Cadillac, just kidding.

Looks great man, is this your first time working with a hard body? If so your giving me hope for my project lol
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Add some tail fins and it a land yacht Cadillac, just kidding.

Looks great man, is this your first time working with a hard body? If so your giving me hope for my project lol
I've tried two other hard bodies, a tamiya F350 crew cab and a tamiya King Hauler, but I never saw them through. This is the first time going this far. Try it y'all love it.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I just got a tamyia body yesterday, found one for about half of what I was finding them for so I jumped on it and found a grill for a good price too. I've never worked with styrene about but used to build 1/24- 1/25 models most I loosely followed the directions lol.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

This is the F350 body I was working on before I started my Chevy build. I actually have the roof section in now and I also have the hood and grill section almost like I want it.

But it's been set aside for now. Chevy always comes first lol.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Made a little progress. Didn't like the bed length so added another section

Added RC4WD Lift blocks

Finally attached the square tube section to the frame using Loctite metal epoxy

I think the overall length is better now
Before:

After:

That's all for now. So what do you think? Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Rickleo; 04-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looks good and square, I liked it with the first bed extension, but it's your model, and if you're happy with it, that's what matters.

The brass rail that you're using, I know you said previously that you split box tubing, it doesn't look very strong, and are you planning to drill some holes and use some nuts and bolts where you used the metal epoxy? for extra re-enforcement.

I know you're going to put a skid between the rails, but you might also consider some extra frame bracing since you're using leafs, to keep the frame from twisting.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looks good and square, I liked it with the first bed extension, but it's your model, and if you're happy with it, that's what matters.

The brass rail that you're using, I know you said previously that you split box tubing, it doesn't look very strong, and are you planning to drill some holes and use some nuts and bolts where you used the metal epoxy? for extra re-enforcement.

I know you're going to put a skid between the rails, but you might also consider some extra frame bracing since you're using leafs, to keep the frame from twisting.
Actually the epoxy it very strong. I've tested it. Dropped the frame from about 4 feet into the floor. Twisted the whole frame back and forth. Pushed down on it with all my weight. Plus I actually tried to pull the frame apart. Nothing. This is one of the strongest epoxys Loctite makes. But only time will tell. I'm going for a clean frame look. But after some running of it doesn't hold then I will add some screws for support. That's the good thing about building RCs, trying out ideas and if they don't work figuring out what does.

As for the frame cross members. I haven't started on those yet. I have to figure the layout of the drivetrain before I get started. One step at a time.

Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #37

Killer job!! This is one of my favorite builds I've seen absolutely amazing work👍👍 would love to see if you finished it? Hope to see more on this
Kronicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronicj View Post
Killer job!! This is one of my favorite builds I've seen absolutely amazing work would love to see if you finished it? Hope to see more on this
Thanks for the kind words. It's still in the same condition as the last pic. Life situations hit me hard and I lost inspiration but the build was always on my mind. Starting to get the itch back after looking at other guys builds. Hopefully I'll be back on it pretty soon. Stay tuned. And again thanks

Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

More progress on Bruticus. Wanted more beefy axles so I added Quiksteel to the yota axles for a more military look and added strength. I like the way it's coming along. What you think?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Every strong truck need a strong engine and Bruticus is no exception. A Cummins 6bt! This is my first attempt at anything scratch built so ih hope it turns out like I want it.

Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually Wrecker by Trailworx Garage H2Micr0 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 02-19-2017 08:47 PM
chevy crew cab dually S10XtremeSR Micro Scale Rigs 4 03-22-2015 05:18 PM
Chevy Crew Cab Dually makaveliks 1.9 Scale Rigs 222 11-17-2014 08:32 AM