Notices

Thread: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS

Update:

Work continued on this massive bumper.

Added some scrap metal plates on the bottom corners and metal round stock to make the lower portion of the bumper.

That is all.
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #142
Pebble Pounder

That thing is massive. Will the bumper tuck in anymore?
webbl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbl19 View Post
That thing is massive. Will the bumper tuck in anymore?
No. Not unless I cut the frame back some. I left it like that because of and when I purchased a winch, I'm going to install it in the space under the bumper. Plus I think it looks cool lol.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #144
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
No. Not unless I cut the frame back some. I left it like that because of and when I purchased a winch, I'm going to install it in the space under the bumper. Plus I think it looks cool lol.
Yeah, mines to close for a winch. Been thinking of different mount ideas.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #145
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, mines to close for a winch. Been thinking of different mount ideas.
Every thought about building a temporary winch mount. Just install it when you want.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Every thought about building a temporary winch mount. Just install it when you want.
Hmmm...might use that idea for the rear. Front has a fairlead that I put on, so i want to use that somehow. Only needs to come out about 5mm or so.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hmmm...might use that idea for the rear. Front has a fairlead that I put on, so i want to use that somehow. Only needs to come out about 5mm or so.
See got them brain gears turning....
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Update:

After looking at the massive front boomer for a while it wasn't in line with the theme I wanted for Bruticus. The bumper looked more apocalypse than military lol. So I built a new one and kept it simple.

Like the old military boomers it's just one piece of steel bent slightly on each end. I used round bar stock to make the grill guard then welded it to the bumper. I like the look better than the old bumper. It looks like a bumper someone threw together on Friday so they could hit the trails on Saturday. Simply yet effective.

Still had a problem with the tire slightly rubbing the servo arm under suspension compression, had to come up with a solution.

Purchased some Hot Racing 15mm wheel hub extensions. After having to file down the extensions to get the pin screw to fit and boring out the hole in the wheel 1mm or so to get the thread sleeve in the new wheel nut to pass though, everything came together nicely. Like the wider stance of the front. Looks more aggressive.

So watcha think? That's all for now. Til next time.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:03 AM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Update:

With all the air being rammed into the Cummins engine I needed a way to cool it. An intercooler. But I wasn't sure I had the space for one. Searching Google for ideas I came across the perfect intercooler on a Cummins diesel that was transplanted into a Suburban. It was exactly what I was looking for. So styrene cutting began.

The end results was a nice engine to mounted intercooler. Now the diesel can get the cold dense air it need to create all the power I'm going to put to it.

That's all for now. Til next time. Thanks for looking.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #150
Rock Stacker

That is some sweet chassis!
What a beast!
What Planetary Gearbox did you use? What Ratio is it?
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #151
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
That is some sweet chassis!
What a beast!
What Planetary Gearbox did you use? What Ratio is it?
Thanks friend. If I'm not mistaken it's a Xtra Speed 3:1 gearbox. Cheap. Bout 20 bucks. Don't know how it performs yet.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #152
Rock Stacker

Awesome, thanks for the response. I can't wait to see video of this monster rolling (or lumbering) along.
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #153
Quarry Creeper

Update:

Finally got the drivetrain in installed. The transfer case is now connected to the transmission like on most 1:1s. Also figured out how to make a crossmember to support it. That created another problem. The distance from the transfer case to the rear end was almost 260mm! Way to long for the driveshaft I had purchased. Lucky I had some shafts laying around from another project that never got off the ground. So I decided to add another crossmember that will hold a carrier bearing. I cut the extra driveshaft down to connect the t case to the carrier bearing. Hope all these shafts hold up under the stress of pulling this heavy behemoth around. Only time will tell.

Bruticus is coming along slowly but surely. And I most say my boy is looking mean! I'd like to thank everyone for following, commenting, complimenting, and giving advice. Very much appreciated.

But...the journey is far from over. Still got a helluva lot more to do.
So thanks for looking. Til next time.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #154
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Update:

Finally got the drivetrain in installed. The transfer case is now connected to the transmission like on most 1:1s. Also figured out how to make a crossmember to support it. That created another problem. The distance from the transfer case to the rear end was almost 260mm! Way to long for the driveshaft I had purchased. Lucky I had some shafts laying around from another project that never got off the ground. So I decided to add another crossmember that will hold a carrier bearing. I cut the extra driveshaft down to connect the t case to the carrier bearing. Hope all these shafts hold up under the stress of pulling this heavy behemoth around. Only time will tell.

Bruticus is coming along slowly but surely. And I most say my boy is looking mean! I'd like to thank everyone for following, commenting, complimenting, and giving advice. Very much appreciated.

But...the journey is far from over. Still got a helluva lot more to do.
So thanks for looking. Til next time.
Looking tough. I think that rear driveline might be longer than the Zuki lol.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looking tough. I think that rear driveline might be longer than the Zuki lol.
Lol. And just imagine the truck is actually 3 1/2 inches shorter than it use to be. You probably could drive your Zuki right into the bed.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 AM   #156
Quarry Creeper

Got the electronics of Bruticus finally half way working. (Not too good at wiring but I'll figure it out). But I did get it moving under it in power. Did a little test drive and light pull. I hooked it up to my son's wooden toddler chair. I know that's not much weight but I was only pulling with front wheel drive. The rear drive shaft pin screws kept loosening and the shaft flying off because I haven't put thread locker on them yet because I still have to disassemble. Made a little video of it and the noise you hear at the end is Bruticus having his first wreck. I accidentally drive it straight into a metal box fan I had on the floor. Hopefully this is not a prelude of things to come.

Think I'm going to purchase a new transmitter and receiver. The one I have is meant for rc airplanes and helicopters. Can't get it to function right. Only goes in reverse 50% of the time. Goes forward fine cause planes don't have reserve lol.

https://youtu.be/CHCR__mgcJM
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #157
Pebble Pounder

Lol. Hey atleast its moving now. I crash into stuff all the time, don't feel bad.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Lol. Hey atleast its moving now. I crash into stuff all the time, don't feel bad.
Naw I don't feel bad. Thought it was funny actually. The one thing on the floor and I run head on into it. That's what I get for taking a vid in one hand and trying to drive with the other. Broke the tabs I put on front of the body to keep it level til I get th he body mounts made. But they are temporary. So no big deal.

Rickleo's Chevy Crew Cab Dually: BRUTICUS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually Wrecker by Trailworx Garage H2Micr0 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 02-19-2017 08:47 PM
chevy crew cab dually S10XtremeSR Micro Scale Rigs 4 03-22-2015 05:18 PM
Chevy Crew Cab Dually makaveliks 1.9 Scale Rigs 222 11-17-2014 08:32 AM