Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: All scratch FJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default All scratch FJ

I don't post build threads, because when I do, my projects die unexpected and drawn out deaths. However, this one is getting closer and closer to "done" and I thought at this point it might be safe from such an untimely fate. This is my first scratch "scale" chassis, first styrene body, and will soon feature my first ever attempt at weathering (to dull down what I was hoping would be a slightly more drab green). She'll also have a simple cage at the rear with a soft top. While I know FJ's are overdone, I love these rigs. Plus, they're mostly flat I'm not getting "super" scale, in fact there's probably more "creative liberty" here than FJ40!

Here's where she's at right now. So much left to do! Unfortunately for me, the devil's always in the details.

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

Default Re: All scratch FJ

I have never seen a rig with a cable management so well done and the body itself looks spectacular, bravo!
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

Very nice, such a clean build and of course it's a Land Cruiser so more points for that!

Your "creative liberty" is more calibrated than most. Definately looks the part. Great work!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Wow, that body looks spectacular. More pics of the build process, please! I agree about the cable management, very tidy. Are those the 1.55 raw steel landies?
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yes, messy wiring is one of my all time BIGGEST pet peeves. When I see a nicely built rig with wires every which way it drives my OCD brain crazy!

Joe, the more pictures I take while building the less I get done! These are the only pictures I can find of the build prior to now.

The wheels are actually 1.9 Gmade raw steel smoothies. They should rust up real nice when it comes time to weather. The size of the frame/body was based on the width of the Yota axles and 1.9 wheels. I wanted to run the dirt grabbers for the tread/size, but I've got a set of the 1.55 raw steel Landies with Grabbers for another (long overdue) project and they're just far too small for the width of the axle to end up with the right look. If you actually measure, I believe this rig comes out closer to 1/8 scale, since these FJ's are so short in real life. Later on I may try the 1.5's with a set of slightly taller tires.

I had to make a shaft out of some SCX ends and tubing, as I couldn't find one I liked this short. It's fixed obviously, so the measuring/welding had to be tits on. Lucky it was! Fits perfect with no binding.

I wanted a hard top originally, but decided if I was going to do a body that's been done to death already, I needed *something* to set it apart, so this top has been exiled to the "shelf of no return". You can also see the early stages of the chassis.

Hoping to have this thing done within the next month or two. Even though there's snow on the ground now, I know the warm weather will be here sooner or later. Just finished my Yeti build so I should have a bit more time for this one now.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Wow! This thing looks great! The body work is amazing such perfect lines. Are you using magnets to hold the hood down?

I here you about taking pictures getting in the way. I once built a 1:1 class 5 Baja bug and had like a dozen pictures of the build.
adamsfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

RC4WD could stand to take a few lessons from you in design.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Progress is a bit slow... but persistent. Mostly just little things. Sorry for the bad pictures, my "shop" lighting isn't very good, and I was too lazy to go get the flash for the camera.

Found a good way to get a "chrome" look on light bezels and such. Still needs "bolts" and a tiny bit of final trimming. Decided to start in on some side marker lights, but only got one done so far. They're so tiny and fiddly! This one still needs the chrome treatment, and somehow got a bit of overspray that needs cleaned off. In all honesty, they probably won't ever end up lit. More poser points for me.

Picked up some diamond plate at the LHS and made some panels.

While I was there, I noticed they had the RC4WD winches. Cheap, I know, but should work fine for posing purposes. Still have to wire it up, and figure out how to make it work with the 3rd channel on my new GT3B (told ya I'm cheap). If anyone here could give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. I guesstimated on the area I'd need for a winch when I was welding the frame, looks like I at least got that part right! As you can see, the white paint for the grill bled. That'll need touching up when I add bolts, emblems etc.

I also started work on the soft top cage, but am now out of steel and almost out of argon. I'm wondering how to make it easily bolt on with the body mount locations, while still looking scale-ish and being able to handle the occasional rollover.

The inside of the doors, with windows. Still need to brace, figure out my door panels, and stick 'em on. Oh, and a steering wheel.

I wanted to cover up the small battery bump, so I went with the tried and true (read, cliche) wood crate. Still needs handles, hinges etc. I also found a neat foam material for somewhat "rugged" looking floor mats.

It seems whenever I'm making good progress on something, another project forces its way into my tiny head and I can't not destroy something else. The last week has been spent mostly on a complete makeover of my SCX. Since it's the rig that gets used the most, and the warm weather is getting closer, it's been taking priority.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've got another (slight) update coming, but just had to share. I hate tiny little fiddly styrene parts. I'm about done with the grill/front end on the 'yota, but needed the "TOYOTA" badge for the grill. No way I was trying to cut this out by hand.

3d printer to the rescue!

This literally took less than 3 minutes to make. This is what it looked like straight off the printer, no cleanup or paint

Old 04-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

::tap tap:: This thing on? Oh well. It forces me to take pictures along the way.

Started on another big project, so this one has once again been moved to on-again/off-again status. Just a few minor details to report.
3D printed some emblems for the dash and quarters. As you can see by the "Land Cruiser" emblems, I've reached the minimum detail size for my printer as it's set up now.

Speaking of teeny tiny 3D printed things, it took me a few tries to get this just right. Now I need a frame.

I found some round foam seal, and (*very* painstakingly) cut it into 1/4 rounds. It makes a damn fine windshield gasket if I do say so myself. Still have to clean up a bit of the silicone from around the edges. I also stole some wipers I had on my Bronco body. They'll need a bit more "something something" but they should work in the end. I'm also not totally sold on the mirror stalks, but I can always change them later if I want. Besides, they'll likely be ripped off during the first drive... Also, door handles don't look wonderful, but at least they were quick and easy.

Steering wheel, shifter and boot (which is too long, I think I need to reposition or cut it down some. Also, turn signal stalk. Don't you hate it when people don't use their turn signals? Got myself a glove box out of a piece of textured plastic I had laying around. Wish I knew where it came from, it's the perfect texture for a 1970's truck interior. The "carpet" is basically done too. And one window is in, just need to trim the B pillar and roof to match the door, and touch up paint. I'm completely undecided as to what I want to do for the door panels, it's actually been driving me a bit nuts for a few weeks now.

I keep putting off body work on the hood, but have got a bit more sanding/filling/priming done, and started on the louvers. Another few hours and it will be ready for paint.

And oh yeah, the soft top cage is more or less done, maybe some final tweaks here and there. I barely finished before I ran out of Argon.

She's getting clooooooser

Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I literally JUST now realized this should be in 1.9... derp! Can a mod move this for me pretty please?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Just have to say, before the thread gets moved, you have got some serious skills! Fab, scratch building, and detail areas are just incredible!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Joe, thanks for the kind words!

Hopefully the soft top will be done by this weekend. A quick job, but with many others in front of it!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Man, that is awesome. The scratch builds on this site never cease to amaze me.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

All scratch FJ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fj c1 scratch build stevem50 1.5 Scale Rigs 19 04-07-2015 06:34 PM
Scratch built rag6 Newbie General 2 06-30-2011 07:50 AM
non-scratch pliers? NeXt559 Tools, and Procedures 23 09-23-2008 08:23 AM
From scratch RockCrawlingKid HPI Wheely King 5 01-05-2008 12:46 PM
Scratch built 2.2 Kamikaze Tamiya Clod Buster 26 09-11-2007 07:51 PM