Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

I guess i'm late to the party with this one, but i've always fancied a hard body Hilux! So, i thought it's probably about time i built one. I was half way through my scx10ii build, but seeing that it was going to end up being a similar truck to the 4 door JK i built (and still love), i've decided to part company with it and build a Class 1 instead. It won't be a super fast build but i'm hoping to have a runner with in a month or two. So here we go.

This won't be anything radical, just hopefully fun to drive.

GCM Skeleton Chassis
RC4WD K44 Axles
RC4WD Hilux Body (bobbed bed)
RC4WD Steelies and Rock Stompers.

Only managed to get the axles and wheels ready so far, so that's all i can show for now.
Thanks for having a peek.

RC4WD K44's. I've only ever really used Axial axles, but these K44's are something else.

1.55 Rock Stompers on RC4WD Black Steelies.

Last edited by neilus; 06-07-2017 at 04:35 PM.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Just a Bobbed Hilux for FUN!

First try at chopping up and reassembling a hardbody. I was a bit nervous, but am really pleased with the results. Still a little more sanding to do.

DinkyRC kit installed on the Skeleton.

And, lastly here's how it looks as of now.

Last edited by neilus; 08-31-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Very clean! Body work came out great!'

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
nwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Small update:

I decided i wasn't perfectly happy with my first bobbing attempt, so i took what i had learned and set to work on a second. Much happier with this one, and i took a little more out of it.

Checking this time that my bracing pieces cleared the back of the light lens (the first one didn't). Another lesson learned...

I'm much happier with this join too:

AND now on to my favorite bit. The metalwork.

The slider mounts. I'm going for some simple tube sliders. Here's where i'm up to. I'm not going to add the rest until i've mounted the body. Next job.

And finally for today, the rear bumper. Again, i wanted a simple looking tube style bumper.

Next, i'll be on to mounting the body, and finishing the sliders. Then comes the front bumper. I've not yet decided to have the winch mounted on the bumper or under the body somewhere...

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice clean cuts ! Xacto razor chop saw?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Thanks. Fine tooth bladed hacksaw.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That is some very nice metal work great looking joints. Bed came out good also.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

I like your garage!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
That is some very nice metal work great looking joints. Bed came out good also.
Thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I like your garage!
Thanks. It's very enjoyable making stuff for it...
Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
This is how i cut it. Screwed the bed to a piece of timber through the body holes in the bed, then clamped the front. Put the timber in the vice, and REALLY took my time with the cuts. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ive had a TF2 for years and this tread got me to finally bob an extra bed ive had laying around for way too long, didn't turn out as good as yours but works, thanks for the inspiration and your truck is turning out awsome!
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongsten View Post
Ive had a TF2 for years and this tread got me to finally bob an extra bed ive had laying around for way too long, didn't turn out as good as yours but works, thanks for the inspiration and your truck is turning out awsome!
Thanks! Every time I'm stuck on a build i nearly always find an answer in a thread on here. So, it's good that you've found my thread useful.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Started the roll bar yesterday. I'm going for a simple one, but i may add a couple of braces just to strengthen it up a little.

Also trying out a new brazing torch, and am really pleased with the results.

I'm still trying to decide on the body mounts. Either screwed down with the battery in a box in the bed, or some type of removable mounts and the battery next to the servo. That'll be the next job!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've been working on the body mounts. I really want the battery under the body, so i want hidden mounts that are easy to remove. Not to keen on removing 4 bolts every time i want to change the battery!

Here's the rear. 6mm delrin rod for the body mounts. These will have some small holes in for 2 body clips.

Added some pieces i cut out of the body to ensure the front slips on sqaure. I just need to decided on velcro or magnets for the front. Anyone have any preferences???

Next up is the spare wheel mount. I wanted this flat in the bed. Here's the first two mock ups, that didn't meet my quality control!!

And here's the final one.

Next up will be to finish the front body mounts and make up the final suspension links.

Thanks for looking.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Had a spare hour or so this evening so finished up the sliders.

I like all my joints to be clean and neat.

And here they are. Nice and simple. I like them.

Also mounted up the rear bumper.

I'm quite pleased with the look so far.

Next will be the front bumper. I've got several ideas floating around in my head, so i'll have a play over the next few days and see what happens.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

After A LOT of thinking and head scratching, and trying a few different designs i've come up with a simple way of unclipping the front part of the body. I've used the front two original TF2 body mount holes, put a 15mm long allen bolt with a nut, and then added a rubber antenna cap on the end to stop it rattling. This slots nicely into a small bracket brazed on to the sliders. Then the body can be pulled out enough to easily release them.

Hopefully that will do. The steel flat piece just needs to be trimmed off tomorrow.

It still amazes me just how much time goes in to one of these builds. Two evenings just to decide and make these mounts!!!

Jigged up and ready for the silver.

And here we go. Hopefully the pics are clear enough to see the finished mounts.

That's all for now. Thanks for having a nose.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

That's the body fitted. It's a nice snug fit. I need to lengthen the front links a few mm but other than that, i'm happy with the look.

I knew as soon as i dropped the body on, early on in the build, that the slipper nut would protrude into the interior. I was hoping that LockedUpRC would have their slipper eliminator kit back in stock, but looking though a box of axial spares i found an original AX10 spur gear shaft that's pre-slipper. So i'll use that for now. It also looks like the battery mount needs to be trimmed at the same time. Could have been worse i guess...

I've had a ponder over the front bumper. I have got an RC4WD Warn 9.5 winch that i'd planned to use. But offering it up this evening i don't think it will look right. Now, the good chaps at GCM included a second servo mount on the Skeleton chassis so i'm now thinking about having a servo winch behind the grille instead.
The problem is, i know nothing about them. Anyone have a recommendation they care to share??? Homemade, bought, or otherwise???

Last edited by neilus; 05-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Tiny update this week.

The panhard set up on this GCM Skeleton has been bugging me. As you can see in the photo above, the angle of the panhard seems too steep. And just as i suspected, when i fitted the servo and steering drag link, i got a fair amount of bump steer. So, i've been playing about with angle and lengths etc, and finally, tonight, BINGO! I made a new chassis mount for the panhard bar that mirrors the GCM one, but i made the mounting point 7mm lower. And surprise surprise, no bump steer and only a couple of mm's of chassis swing/movement at full compression. I know it's only a small thing, but it's made me very happy indeed.

I think the original GCM mount would have worked had i have ran 70mm shocks on the front or limited mine, but now it works with the 90mm shocks i want to use.

Here's the stock GCM set up:

And, here's the revised look:

And here's the new mount. Just need to paint it black when i start painting parts:

While i was at it, i countersunk the mounting bolts as the shock was just touching the original button head bolts:

And lastly, whilst browsing the other night for a servo winch and winch accessories, i spotted this winch tool from rc4wd. Then i looked again, and thought to myself "Hang on a minute! That's just a 6 inch nail!"

So i made one. Didn't turn out too bad so i made a few more. I'm sure they'll come in handy at some point.

That's all for now.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
looks grate!
Thanks very much, Tim

I received my servo winch and wireless controller from Al at Heyok. What a great guy to deal with

Managed to 'shoehorn' it into the front of the GCM Skeleton Chassis. I've had to put a slight bend in the steering drag link so that the spool clears it, but other than that it fits great!

And, i've just started to think about the interior. I think i'm going to ditch the idea of a bench seat and go for bucket seats instead. Not 100% decided yet though.

I'm waiting of the delivery of the ESC then i can finalise the wiring and get started on the interior!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Very nice build and very clean.
STRAT is offline   Reply With Quote