Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hooked by the "Quicksand"!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hooked by the "Quicksand"!

So, ever wonder what you want to build next, then BAM....something pops up on the interweb and your hooked! That's what happened when I recently came across a online story about FCA/Jeep newest concept/show vehicles. It's called Quicksand, and it will be an offroad / onroad use vehicle.
So after catching the bug to build that killer Jeep Quicksand here is a start. Disassemble, lay out a plan and study a ton of photos. Start chopping off what doesn't stay, mark out the cut lines, fill a few (a bunch) holes, cut out a scale 4" out of the roof and A pillars, extend the roof to make up for lowering the windshield frame, close in the rear hatch, cut open the roof, cut down the doors, cut out the B pillars from the roof, close the rear side openings of the roof (where the fuel filler necks will go), cut out the rear tailgate, open the taillights....and there's still a ton to do! Have to modify the grill to match the Quicksand grill. Still have to decide what frame to use, not sure if it will be another J2 or based on SCX10 frame rails as I will need the motor to be centered under the hood. May just fab a front motor plate so the body sits low on the frame rails.

Inspiration pics...
[/URL]

joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hooked by the "Quicksand"!

You got this!
That is one sexy wrangler. It has a nice mix of hot rod and trail rig
hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'd be willing to bet that it's a digital model, just like the ZJ that FCA showed off for the Easter Jeep Safari.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What a great build so far! I saw that thing awhile back in a 4x4 magazine and loved the rat rod look to it! Im assuming that body is the same as all the china jeep bodies on ebay, right? Was the top removable when you got it or did you cut it off like everything else?
thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The Jeep Quicksand got its first coat of primer today. Lots of body work left to do. Oh, BTW, for you FCA/Jeep fanatics out there, the photos of the real Quicksand, is showing what will be the 2018 Wrangler front end treatment. Which is why I opened up the vertical slots like they are. Once I got past panicking over finding scale Kidney Bean's and stumbled upon these resin 1/8 scale halves, I picked up a set of HPI touring car wheels, and ground till fit, added some spinners and off we go. So progress this week...got the custom (resin) "Kidney Bean" wheels to fit, set up the axles, shocks and links. Waiting for rubber, 1.7's rear and 1.55's front. Inspiration pics first....

Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
So, ever wonder what you want to build next, then BAM....something pops up on the interweb and your hooked! That's what happened when I recently came across a online story about FCA/Jeep newest concept/show vehicles. It's called Quicksand, and it will be an offroad / onroad use vehicle.
So after catching the bug to build that killer Jeep Quicksand here is a start. Disassemble, lay out a plan and study a ton of photos. Start chopping off what doesn't stay, mark out the cut lines, fill a few (a bunch) holes, cut out a scale 4" out of the roof and A pillars, extend the roof to make up for lowering the windshield frame, close in the rear hatch, cut open the roof, cut down the doors, cut out the B pillars from the roof, close the rear side openings of the roof (where the fuel filler necks will go), cut out the rear tailgate, open the taillights....and there's still a ton to do! Have to modify the grill to match the Quicksand grill. Still have to decide what frame to use, not sure if it will be another J2 or based on SCX10 frame rails as I will need the motor to be centered under the hood. May just fab a front motor plate so the body sits low on the frame rails.

Inspiration pics...
[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
You got this!
That is one sexy wrangler. It has a nice mix of hot rod and trail rig
That's what I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'd be willing to bet that it's a digital model, just like the ZJ that FCA showed off for the Easter Jeep Safari.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dIdibREux0
I don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurlo View Post
What a great build so far! I saw that thing awhile back in a 4x4 magazine and loved the rat rod look to it! Im assuming that body is the same as all the china jeep bodies on ebay, right? Was the top removable when you got it or did you cut it off like everything else?
It is or was a ebay JK yes. The top was attached with 4 screws. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Those screen images just screamed "rendering" to me. Thanks for the link.

Your model is looking great.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Jeep Quicksand gets some rubber, more body work and more primer. Painted the wheel centers, and started the weird taillights that are in the 1:1. They are like a motorcycle headlight housing, they just float in the taillight opening. The 1:1 runs 37" r and 32" fronts so I fit 1.7's on the rear and 1.55' IRok Super Swamper's on the touring car wheels.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Such a great looking Jeep! I can't wait to see the finished product.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Man this thing is turning out sweet! When I first saw the pics of what you wanted to do I was kinda like eh.... that's going to look weird. But you have nailed it and the more I look at it the more impressed I am. Keep up the good work sir!
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
Sul
Pebble Pounder

Cool idea; nice build. Are you keeping the iroks on there or are you going to run the KM2's ?
Sul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Damn , That's A Nice Build !
Robs07junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Such a great looking Jeep! I can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks! Its getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
Man this thing is turning out sweet! When I first saw the pics of what you wanted to do I was kinda like eh.... that's going to look weird. But you have nailed it and the more I look at it the more impressed I am. Keep up the good work sir!
Appreciate it, wasn't sure how it would look either, and hated ruining a good eBay Jk if it didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sul View Post
Cool idea; nice build. Are you keeping the iroks on there or are you going to run the KM2's ?
Thanks! I couldn't find the KM2's in 1.55, and it needed staggered tire heights to match the 1.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs07junk View Post
Damn , That's A Nice Build !
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Got HEMI? The Quicksand got a motor cover shaped like a HEMI today. Sure wish there was a kit for these! HEMI was a PITA, and it not done yet! Opened a whole can - o worms when I centered the trans/motor combo, now I have to adjust the diff and try to mount the transfer case in an unusual position due to drive shaft alignment! Oh well that's the fun part I guess!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

It's lookin' sweeeet! You're getting really good at those engines. Are you planning to over-drive the front axle, or use a center diff' set-up or something, to make up for the tire difference?

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

for building the motor cover from styrene. It looks great !
Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
It's lookin' sweeeet! You're getting really good at those engines. Are you planning to over-drive the front axle, or use a center diff' set-up or something, to make up for the tire difference?

Hello Dr! Yes, am dealing with that tire height differential next - as well as the front drive shaft alignment, since I centered the trans/motor the front diff is going to be a challenge to attach to the TC.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
for building the motor cover from styrene. It looks great !
Thanks BigSki!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

It was already looking like the real thing, then you added the motor and just sent it over the top. Great work.
hillbillyrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Thanks - greatly appreciate the kind words!

Hooked by the "Quicksand"! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM