Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Clod bodied Trail rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trail Rig ***Pic heavy***

So this is a on going build that has stalled a time or two. work marriage kids and all the bad that has come an gone in the last 3 years. This was a Joint effort between em and a buddy of mine, well more like a long time friend.

But anyhow after 4 long years here is what I have. I have a junk yard special that is a mix between RC4WD, Axial, Tamiya, and Traxxas as well as some custom bits.

I got his old clod body 4x4x4 with this deal that I made back in 2012 or 2013 when i was looking for just a cab. Now I didn't have anything to do with it an honestly I didn't want it. I had my wraith, now long gone as well as my trugy, that I built. So Me an my buddy got to talking after I sold the truggy off, good riddens to that one. So anyways me an him devised this plan to build me a rig like I wanted. I liked my TF2 and wanted something similar. He had a frame, skid and axles. I had a body and trans and transfer case, and shocks. So off went the truck, not to be built but to fill in some holes, and get the wheelbase mocked up, and then be return. Well thats when life got in the way the first time and the project stalled out.

Yes this is how I got it.

Well after my friend got past his bump in life he got back on my rig. He got all the body filler laid and got the suspension mostly done. Well that's ok I meT a woman too, and life is good. Ill be patient. After all i did change my mind a few times on somethings.

Originally I wanted a beater, kinda add to what the PO had going with it. So I asked for red hood and fender and had a blue tail gate to go on.

Sadly after waiting a year for life to allow us to work on this again, I asked for the truck to be returned. See my friend and his woman had a baby and I knew there wouldn't be anytime for the rig for a while. Unlike with me, now married, and able to do some work on it. Being the perfectionist that he is he didnt want to return it half done, but I assured hi that it was ok and that their would be no hard feelings, and that we would remain friends.

So here is what I got in return.

Well after waiting what seemed like an eternity for the postal service to get my truck to Dallas from NY, I had the truck in my possession. Even though it wasn't no where near what I wanted, I was still happy to finally have the truck. So happy I forgot to tell the wife. Well once again, I changed my mind and decided to make the rear end leaf sprung. I saded and grinded on the trans mount for the SCX10 and made it smooth, then i drilled the holes and mounted the TF2 Transfer case. I then sat and thought about a trans mount, I found some scrap metal and took and put the Drimmel I got for Christmas to good use and drilled, grinded, cut and sanded it into a decent mount for my disruptor tranny. After getting that bolted in and getting all my shafts in I come to find the front one is too long so out comes the dremmel. Finally its all in and bolted up.

An so began the daunting task of sanding and smoothing. sanding and smoothing, sanding and smoothing, ugh well I laid the first coat and realized the hood was cracked where the PO had filled in the hood. SO I sanded and painted and filled and sanded and finally got to prime it out.

Originally I wanted blue but then the wife pissed me off and i know how much she hates a red truck so, it turned red. But not befor a shot of primer.

Well it stalled out again, my life got busy, wife, work, had to move because the land lord wanted to sell our house. Not to mention the wreck and alot of bullship. Well things have started to turn around again and I have jump started this build again. I have sold off all my R/C stuff except one or two cars and a fist full of parts. I installed the cage from a axial jeep kit. Installed a old bumper I had off of a Axial, Made a chain and actually found a pinion for the tranny. I got all of the kinks in the rx/tx/esc worked out and actually ran it for 100 ft then realized I need new shafts. The shaft going from tranny to the transfer case. I fat I fabed up a mesh screen for the grille that I cut out to make room for the fan that I made.

But here is some pics. LMk thoughts and opinions. Id like some ideas on a interior. I know you guys build just the same as I do only better

Last edited by bent; 05-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Clod bodied Trail rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clod bodied x-trail toyota92 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 04-23-2009 11:15 PM
2.2 Clod Bodied X-Trail? atvdude775 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 01-17-2008 09:47 PM
SWEET clod bodied rig on Ebay! STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 10 07-19-2007 03:41 AM
Updated CLod bodied, K2-L, TLT trail/tow rig!! tecnica2001 2.2 Scale Rigs 18 01-13-2007 11:26 AM
Clod Bodied,TLT scale-ish trail/tow rig!!! tecnica2001 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 10-15-2006 04:02 PM