Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: TF2 Rehab! RC4WD 4Runner + More

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Default TF2 Rehab! RC4WD 4Runner + More

Looking to draw on y'alls collective leaf spring knowledge for my next build! Picked up a used TF2 that needed some love. Lots of stripped screws, a bit of rust here and there and some shoddy weathering. Got it cleaned up and got the 4Runner body on the way, but I feel like I might need to adjust my expectations performance wise.

I grabbed two sets of the Teraflex shackles, performed the Chino and O-Ring mods both front and rear. I also removed the smallest helper leaf. I left the shock tower positions in the stock location but swapped the super scalers for stock Axial SCX10II shocks for longer downtravel up front.

Here's how much flex I'm getting at all four corners. It seems somewhat reasonable, but I'm not sure if I have something improperly set up. Lmk if I'm looking at normal flex for a TF2! Anything seem out of wack?

A few other questions for you leaf spring folk:

- In several of the videos / images I've seen, the revolver shackles sit almost vertical on the top link. Mine are definitely not. What gives?

-Am I just missing the additional performance the Z-Boxes offer in addition to the Revolvers?

-The front Revolvers seem to bind occasionally. They either suck down or sit high (see photos below) but don't seem happy in a "neutral" position. Almost like the leaf spring isn't long enough. Thoughts?

Front Shackle "High"

Front Shackle "Low"

Available flex travel:

General Setup Shots:

Looking forward to getting the body in next week! I want to make sure I have the chassis side dialed in before I get into the drivetrain and bodywork.

Thanks in advance for the help! Let me know if I've got something hooked up funky.
318aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TF2 Rehab! RC4WD 4Runner + More

I dont see anything funky, other than your shackles. Those extra flopsy shackles have advocates and detractors. Some say they add useful travel to a stiffly sprung rig, others argue that the added travel is useless because there isnt much if any weight on the tire during the extra droop travel. I feel they add steering vagueness to the already vaque tf2 platform.

That chassis doesnt look like its seen much use. You need to let the leaves break in before they'll move much, so dont get hung up on bench tuning the suspension till its got a few hours on it.

More importantly, whats the story with the FJ80 in the background? Got a build thread?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I dont see anything funky, other than your shackles. Those extra flopsy shackles have advocates and detractors. Some say they add useful travel to a stiffly sprung rig, others argue that the added travel is useless because there isnt much if any weight on the tire during the extra droop travel. I feel they add steering vagueness to the already vaque tf2 platform.

That chassis doesnt look like its seen much use. You need to let the leaves break in before they'll move much, so dont get hung up on bench tuning the suspension till its got a few hours on it.

More importantly, whats the story with the FJ80 in the background? Got a build thread?
Good input on the shackles, thanks for the perspective! Once we get her running we'll see whether or not the smallest helpers can go back on and whether further tweaking is required.

Good eye! The 80 is a "kinda" clone of my 1:1. Build thread here: SCX 10.2 GMC Build

Last edited by 318aye; 10-28-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #4

With the chassis sorted "enough", it's time for the body! I won't bore everyone with the assembly on a pretty common enough body, but I did have to modify one thing so far to get the fitment right. The tailgate hinges needed to be spaced down 1.5mm to get the latching correct. Printer to the rescue.

Got most of the accessories and electronics on the way as well:

Electronics
-Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 Brushed ESC
-Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 540 35T
-Take-Off Tactic SCX10II Steering Servo
-Tactic TR325 RX
-TowerPro 9g Micro Servo (Gear Select)
-Battery TBD. Need to see if my existing Zippy 3S will fit under the interior tray.

Accessories
-CChand Mud Flaps! (Amped for these)
-Thrust Front Bumper
-Velbloud Rear Bumper / Carrier
-RC4WD Rear Inner Fenders

Up next:

The lexan inner fenders from RC4WD showed up a little broken and weren't that easy to trim accurately. Soooo I'll use them as templates for the overall shape and print some fronts. The rear plate versions were only $10 so I grabbed those.

I'm pretty disappointed with the factory body mounting. The plastic "slider" side pieces that bolt to the body itself move a ton with respect to the chassis, and there's no rear mount stock so if you slide the bumper it'll raise the body off the frame. I'm going to sort out a magnet based solution that will add a rear mount and try and pull some of the slop out of the whole thing.

I'd like to take a stab at either tube or cut doors and a soft top frame. I really like the cloth top RC4WD sells but I think it'll be much more fun as a project vs. spending $90.

On the overall finishing front, I'm thinking white top, "pumpkin" body and either the factory decal package or the "boogie" ones from RC4WD. I got both so we'll see what it ends up with. Still looking for a good match paint-wise for the reference below, if you have a recommendation let me know!

Pics!

Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #5

Annnnnd it's done.

Pretty straight forward paint job! Two notes: sand down the nubs that lock the tailgate in a bit before painting. As moulded, they're a little aggressive and will scratch your paint when you put it back together. Also, the windscreen doesn't really adhere to the curve of the roof at the front edge. Make sure to mask the body so that you paint all the way onto the front edge of the roof as it'll end up showing later on.

Next Steps: I have a 3D printed DinkyRC-Style transfer case mount to throw on. I took it out for an inaugural crawl and it immediately hung on the center plate :(. I was thinking about throwing the rest of the decal package on but I think I'll leave it with just the hood one, I'm digging it. I'm still eyeing a soft top and scale hubs and I'll eventually need to figure out an inner fender solution for the front. Anyway, here's too many pictures!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hella-Fine job!

(dang...)

Paint is to die for, and I really like the height/width and tread of that tire setup for the 4Runner.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Absolutely beautiful! All the little details look great! Awesome job!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Hella-Fine job!

(dang...)

Paint is to die for, and I really like the height/width and tread of that tire setup for the 4Runner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Absolutely beautiful! All the little details look great! Awesome job!
Thanks y'all! This is my second crack at painting a hardbody and I've learned a ton prep-wise. The next one will be even more fun now.

I fell ass backwards into the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's that are on there and they worked out perfectly! Glad you like em.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

Fun leaf times.

Out of the box, the truck couldn't do the "curb climb" test on the way to the local crawl spot :(. I printed a taller set of Gelande sytle shock towers and a low/pro transfer case mount and Voila, up and over like a champ. Front travel / flex is way better. Before and After pictures below on the t-case mount:

Old 11-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

The 3.7" Mickeys just aren't cutting it for most of our available terrain. I went back to the 4.19 Pitbull Growlers and added some scale hubs. Trimmed a bit off the ends of the CCHand bumper to account for clearance. Had to relocate the plate up onto the bumper as well, the hitch mount dragged on just about everything. Excited to try and get out more with this truck.

TF2 Rehab! RC4WD 4Runner + More - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm getting the RC4WD 4Runner, is TF2 only/best? Dogahn Newbie General 17 06-23-2020 03:57 PM
4runner body on a tf2?? ROLANDROCKSHOP RC4WD Trail Finder 2 2 10-12-2012 03:12 AM