Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Chevy Crawler Hauler By JUSTINART24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Chevy Crawler Hauler By JUSTINART24

This is Chevy truck is going to have a flatbed and be able to haul are either SORRCA Class one trucks or RC Drift cars. The build off tire size limit is 4" and it has to be SORRCA legal. I am not sure if I will actually comp with this but making it SORRCA legal should be pretty easy.

I started off with cutting the bed of a Tamiya Clodbuster body. I will be filling in the hood scoop and sunroof. Not sure if I will have a opening hood yet but I hope to find a RC4WD scale engine.... but they seem to be out of stock.

For the interior I will be using a RC4WD mojave dash, along with a Tamiya Hilux bench seat.

I am using some RC4WD Yota axles and the suspension will have leaf springs.

The 1.7" beadlocks are by RC4WD and are more commonly used for Semi truck builds. For the front I needed to buy a conversion hex kit to make them drive-able. The originally come non-drive-able because Tamiya semi trucks are only rear wheel drive.

I picked up some metal horns, reflective tape and flying pig hood ordiment from GardenTrucking .com.

I will be using some classy rear mud flaps as well.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Chevy Crawler Hauler By JUSTINART24

I finally nailed down what tires I am going to use for this "Tiny Tire" build off truck. I ended up putting some 1.55" Pitbulls on my RC4WD Semi truck wheels. Note that I had to covert the front to drivable, due to the Tamiya semi trucks not having drivable front axles. I am waiting on some more tires to finish the rear.

Pit Bull 1.55 Rock Beast Scale R/C Tires Alien Kompound with Foam
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pbtpb9013ak.htm

12mm Hex Hub for Diesel Front Steel Wheels
https://store.rc4wd.com/12mm-Hex-Hub...ls_p_4241.html

Diesel Front Semi Truck Stamped Beadlock Wheels (Pair)
https://store.rc4wd.com/Diesel-Front...ir_p_1848.html

Diesel Rear Semi Truck Stamped Beadlock Wheels (Pair)
https://store.rc4wd.com/Diesel-Rear-...ir_p_1847.html

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Here is a bit of an update on my "Crawler Hauler" build. I got a few more parts in and I should be drilling and tapping some holes this week to get the chassis mocked up. I finally made a decision on a chassis and I went with a Tamiya Semi type rails. The rails are currently at 31.5" long but I will be reducing the length a bit. I also picked up some Lesu alum center cross members for the rails to bolt to.

I don't plan on hauling large crawlers on this but only really keeping it long enough to haul some of the my SORRCA Class One trucks. For hauling, it would be pretty neat to have a few cheap servos winches on the bed to secure a load on the flat bed, we will shall see what I come up with.

For the paint, I am going to stay with my trusty Testors Fiery Orange.

The suspension will be leaf sprung and I am using some Tamiya highlift leaf springs. As for the leaf mounts, I just went with the kit from RC4WD.

I am not sold if I am going to spend the time to put in a panel on the back part of the cab because I plan one making a headache rack to cover up most of it.

I went with a cheap 2:1 transfer case to help with hauling and I personally like my scalers to be pretty slow... it's more realistic visually to see them crawl at a scale crawl speed.

I also found a cross member that has a built in carrier bearing. With the rear axle be so far back it will help keep the driveline off the rocks if the start of the driveshaft starts dropping down farther back.

That's it for now, time to start drilling some holes.:moo:
Old 11-13-2018, 03:02 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Awesome. Love it. Can’t wait to see the bed

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #5

Dude! You're still using a flip phone?!

Very cool start to a build. I can't wait to see it progress.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Chevy Crawler Hauler By JUSTINART24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Scx-10 Chevy ss hauler - crawler/drift trailer ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 14 06-05-2013 05:52 AM
Crawler Hauler turtlecrawler Chit Chat 11 05-18-2006 06:56 PM