Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs
Loading

Notices

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Bananaclip
  • 1 Post By Postclanker
  • 1 Post By DukeMinnix
  • 1 Post By nwnewbie
  • 1 Post By 06ToasterBox
  • 2 Post By Bananaclip
  • 1 Post By Bananaclip

Thread: TCs Troublesome TJ

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Where the sheep run scared.
Posts: 2,748
Default TCs Troublesome TJ

With me recently getting back in the hobby and all of the cool small tire options I wanted to try my hand at a competitive class 1 rig. I had a few NB TJ bodies on hand so I figured it would fit the bill nicely.

I picked up a CBE short wheelbase chassis for another build but it ended up pairing very well with the little TJ body so here we go.......

Building a 10 inch wheelbase rig can be a challenge but I am pretty happy with the angles on the rolling base I ended up with.



I need to do some carful trimming but this is the body Im going to start with just setting on the rolling chassis to give an idea of the wheelbase.





I spent a little time in the shop yesterday morning working on the sliders and got this far before I ran out of welding gas.





More to come........


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DukeMinnix likes this.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave
 
Postclanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 4,357
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Just bought a 03 TJ....
Of course I want to build a a scaler to match.....

Im struggling with the wb...wondered what chassis rails you started with?
Gonna watch your build closely
Bananaclip likes this.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Where the sheep run scared.
Posts: 2,748
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Just bought a 03 TJ....

Of course I want to build a a scaler to match.....



Im struggling with the wb...wondered what chassis rails you started with?

Gonna watch your build closely


Very nice! Congrats on the 1.1 03. They are wonderful and so much fun. I went with a CBE switchblade SWB. This chassis seems to play very well with the TJ body.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 511
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Looking good, good weekend to wrench on tiny trucks in our neck of the woods
Bananaclip likes this.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pacific north west
Posts: 249
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Love short wheel base rigs, working on one thats roughly the 10in as well. Stuck on suspension right now sadly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Bananaclip likes this.
nwnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Casper
Posts: 482
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
With me recently getting back in the hobby and all of the cool small tire options I wanted to try my hand at a competitive class 1 rig. I had a few NB TJ bodies on hand so I figured it would fit the bill nicely.

I picked up a CBE short wheelbase chassis for another build but it ended up pairing very well with the little TJ body so here we go.......

Building a 10 inch wheelbase rig can be a challenge but I am pretty happy with the angles on the rolling base I ended up with.



I need to do some carful trimming but this is the body I’m going to start with just setting on the rolling chassis to give an idea of the wheelbase.





I spent a little time in the shop yesterday morning working on the sliders and got this far before I ran out of welding gas.





More to come........


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good looking rig. I'm assuming your going with a front motor set up with transfer case? Doing a rear cantilever suspension set up? looking forward to seeing more of the build.
Bananaclip likes this.
06ToasterBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Where the sheep run scared.
Posts: 2,748
Default TCs Troublesome TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ToasterBox View Post
Good looking rig. I'm assuming your going with a front motor set up with transfer case? Doing a rear cantilever suspension set up? looking forward to seeing more of the build.


Thanks everyone! I do plan running a divorce set up. I have a VP cased trans and a few different t cases on hand. I was planning on running my GCM LRT2 but it has a future home in the new TF2.

Tore everything down and ran the chassis through the media cabinet. I also started a cage that needs finished.





Sorry for the slow updates. I have a few projects going on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bananaclip; 11-22-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave
 
Postclanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 4,357
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Hey Mr. Clip

Would really like to pick your brain on a few questions....

Whats your WB? And ... what are you using for drive shafts?

I have a GCM chassis...looking for a 10.5 WB...I have punisher shafts and MIP...neither will work, hate plastic bla, bla, bla

Would love a pic of your setup

TIA...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Where the sheep run scared.
Posts: 2,748
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Hey Mr. Clip

Would really like to pick your brain on a few questions....

Whats your WB? And ... what are you using for drive shafts?

I have a GCM chassis...looking for a 10.5 WB...I have punisher shafts and MIP...neither will work, hate plastic bla, bla, bla

Would love a pic of your setup

TIA...
I should be heavy on this build by weekend. I just finished up my little bug builds frame... We can chat all you want... I know a pretty solid metal guy that makes certain obstacles a bit easier to overcome. Wheelbase is 10" on the dot.....
Postclanker likes this.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave
 
Postclanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 4,357
Default Re: TCs Troublesome TJ

That works


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com