Notices

Thread: Johnny Builds a Brat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny Builds a Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
that's crazy, i work with a guy named Steve Allen.

yeah it really is therapeutic to paint stuff like this. base color. wash. dry brush. therapy has occurred. looks great!
oh and the light bucket thing reminds me, don't they make E6000 in a few colors, including black? i always forget to look at hobby lobby.
Hey, they do make it in colors! I never knew that. I've only ever seen the clear. I'm going to have to get some of the black, I think.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I know I probably lost a lot of folks when I said "Lexan Brat body." In an attempt to regain some credibility, I've decided to do a custom interior. I'm no stranger to the Lexan interiors, but this will be my first try at scratch building one (or at least mostly scratch building one).

I don't have a lot of room to work with. I can only go down about an inch. As a result, I'm just going for something "Brat-esque" rather than trying to do a highly-detailed replica. My hope is to pick up some skills and experience that may help me out on some other build down the road.

I started with a cardboard mock-up to get a general size. Then I had at the styrene stash that was mocking me (it's been sitting on the shelf so long it got complacent). That's a Knight Customs SR5 steering wheel, but it's pretty close to what was in the brat, so I went with it. I was also unsure about tackling the seats, so I cut down a couple from Cross RC. They aren't a match, but they'll do fine considering the limited visibility this interior will get. It's nothing special, but it's something.

My favorite part was using a little Bondo to fashion the shift boot.

I'm doing the work, I'm baby-stepping, I'm not a slacker!

Tamiya MF-01X Subaru Brat Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 01-28-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: '
Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Still watching!
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Here's the interior all painted up. Again, not particularly impressive, but it feels vaguely Bratty to me. I can live with it.

Steve seems pretty comfortable behind the wheel, so I'm happy.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Very 80s Japan interior sir!
I could be convinced it's either brat or 86 Corolla gts.
Thats a good thing!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

A couple more details to wrap this thing up...

I got the wipers when I was building the Ford Courier for my dad. I think they're for the Mojave body. Anyway, they seemed like a good fit here.

Steve wanted a vanity plate. His twin brother Alan got "BUCKY" for his Bronco. Steve thought "BRATTY" and "BUCKY" sounded pretty good together.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

nice work on the plate! i need to revisit that art. printed mine and just used packing tape over the paper. didn't uh... didn't hold up too well when i dipped her toes in some water.
wipers look good too.

full reveal soon?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
nice work on the plate! i need to revisit that art. printed mine and just used packing tape over the paper. didn't uh... didn't hold up too well when i dipped her toes in some water.
wipers look good too.

full reveal soon?
When I make my plates, it's an inkjet print on self-adhesive vinyl (stuck to some scrap Lexan, trimmed out and then edged with a silver paint Sharpie). The trick I use to make it waterproof (other than the vinyl) is to spray the print out with a few light coats of clear acrylic. That locks in the ink and makes it resistant to water, mud, snow, the occasional spilled beverage, etc.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

There are still some things I'd like to do to this tiny truck. Most noticeably, I'd like to add some side view mirrors, but the handfull I've tried so far haven't looked quite right. I'll run it this way for now and tell Steve to be careful merging onto the highway.

I've got some shots of this thing on my kitchen table, but no one wants to see that. Here are a few glamour shots of the little blue Subaru Brat in the great outdoors before it gets chewed up out on the trails...

amiya MF-01X Subaru Brat Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I never knew 1.55's could look so big! that thing looks really good for a lexan body. I like it
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
I never knew 1.55's could look so big! that thing looks really good for a lexan body. I like it
Thanks. Those tires are only 3" tall! Should make trailing this rig interesting...
Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

The Brat had its first outing. With minimal ground clearance, tiny tires and big overhangs, I went to a location that I thought would be a nice easy drive.

Nope.

We had gotten some snow previously, but it had warmed up and a lot of it had melted. Then things got brutally cold. What I hadn't anticipated was that over half of the trail would be blanketed in 3 inch deep, icy, rock hard, frozen footprints. Oof.

As I started down the trail I thought about turning back. Then I had a brief conversation with Steve Man who said "We don't build shelf queens. Gimme the keys!"

The truck performed admirably in conditions that it had no business performing admirably in. The front lip of the body ended up taking some damage. There was a little chipped paint and a small crack. The cold weather certainly didn't do me any favors there. I'll make some repairs and have it back on the trails in no time.

Here are some photos from the non-icy-footprints-of-death parts of the trail...

Tamiya MF-01X Subaru Brat by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 02-05-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Tpyo
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Here's a quick look at the damage. On the left you can see the chipped paint. On the right is the crack. A little touch up paint, mesh tape and E6000 should have me back in business.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

All patched up and back out on the trails...

Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

As suspected with the wheelbase lengthening I did, the dogbones became an issue. Or, rather, the lack of dogbones became an issue. Around mile 7 I noticed the the rig was struggling a bit. At least a bit more than a tiny tire, independent suspension road-car-turned-trail-vehicle with almost no ground clearance would normally struggle. Turns out I was running in three wheel drive.

Was that going to stop me? Heck no! Should it have stopped me? Probably! You see, it was early in my outing. I wasn't ready to go home, so I decided to soldier on for another mile or so, sticking to the tamest of trails. The little Subie performed admirably under the conditions. Oh, any ideas what happens to Tamiya drive cups that don't have dog bones in them? Anyone? They fall out. Yup. So now I was out a dogbone and a drive cup. Not my finest moment.

So I ordered up some replacement drive cups and universals to get the tiny truck back out on the trails. After the install there's a slight hitch in the rear drive train. It's something I want to look into, but doesn't affect things enough to keep it on the shelf. I also noticed that there's more contact with the rear suspension upright assembly and the center drive shaft cover than there was before. It sticks a bit. I suspect it's getting bendy (technical term) due to the way I had to reverse that assembly when lengthening the wheelbase. I'll have to look into that, too. Basically, this car is a disaster right now. Pretty much a failure. But it runs. And it's fun. So, yeah.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Neato!
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Thanks. Those tires are only 3" tall! Should make trailing this rig interesting...
I love this build. I've looked at this thread quite a few times now. I'm really wanting to do something similar, maybe a hard body though. Is it possible to run slightly larger tires on that chassis? Maybe 1.7's if you adjust the body height ect.? This would be my first real build like this, so I'm pretty new to what would fit what chassis. Thanks for the advice. Killer build!
cjperry81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Great job! Love it!
Robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #39

I used a TT-02 chassis to build my Brat. No pics though because after making it look like a 4 year old painted it, I hid it under the stairs and only let it out on moonless nights. Scares even the werewolves away it’s so ugly. But very nice job on yours; Tamiya’s Subaru Brat and Kyosho’s Optima are my 2 very favorites RC buggies of all time!
smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinapankake View Post
I used a TT-02 chassis to build my Brat. No pics though because after making it look like a 4 year old painted it, I hid it under the stairs and only let it out on moonless nights. Scares even the werewolves away it’s so ugly. But very nice job on yours; Tamiya’s Subaru Brat and Kyosho’s Optima are my 2 very favorites RC buggies of all time!

How did it look on the TT-02 chassis? Was it fairly scale looking? I want to replicate something simliar to this one because the tires are tucked underneath and look realistic compared to the stock brat kit with the tires sticking way out to the sides.

I wouldn't mind trying a slightly larger tire than the ones on this build. Ive been looking at tons of sites and threads trying to find a chassis that would give the brat this scale look.
cjperry81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Johnny Builds a Brat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny builds an MST CFX Ford Bronco JohnnyAnguish Max Speed Technology CFX 67 07-14-2022 08:17 AM
Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX10 II 144 07-09-2021 03:04 PM
Johnny builds a scrap Dingo JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX-10 47 11-02-2018 01:29 PM
Johnny Greaves Airing it out HITMAN Chit Chat 29 01-06-2010 08:13 PM