Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny Builds a Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd4ws View Post
Neato!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperry81 View Post
I love this build. I've looked at this thread quite a few times now. I'm really wanting to do something similar, maybe a hard body though. Is it possible to run slightly larger tires on that chassis? Maybe 1.7's if you adjust the body height ect.? This would be my first real build like this, so I'm pretty new to what would fit what chassis. Thanks for the advice. Killer build!
Earlier in this thread you can see how high the hard body sits on this chassis. It basically leaves most of the chassis exposed. You'd have to cut out the bed to lower it. I opted to save my hard body for a future project.

You'd also likely need to raise the body (or do more fender trimming - enlarging the already larger-than-scale wheel openings) to run larger tires. It's a pretty shallow body, so you'd end up with more chassis exposure. Even with this setup the body doesn't cover the whole chassis/battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotboy View Post
Great job! Love it!
Thanks!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

That is sweet! I like that you used the white spoked wheels which were so typical of these back in the day.

Check out this hot little number...could be an option for your hard body Brat.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperry81 View Post
How did it look on the TT-02 chassis? Was it fairly scale looking? I want to replicate something simliar to this one because the tires are tucked underneath and look realistic compared to the stock brat kit with the tires sticking way out to the sides.

I wouldn't mind trying a slightly larger tire than the ones on this build. Ive been looking at tons of sites and threads trying to find a chassis that would give the brat this scale look.

Not too bad really. I set it up with the short wheelbase, high ground clearance option. Ashamed to admit, but it’s never been off road. You see, I used the special edition white chassis kit and didn’t want to dirty that up! Even with the short wheelbase, the wheel arches are slightly too far apart on my lexan body; maybe the hard body is better? I used a TT-02 because there’s something morally wrong with a 2wd Brat, and there’s also something morally wrong about a 4wd Brat on solid axles...
smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinapankake View Post
Not too bad really. I set it up with the short wheelbase, high ground clearance option. Ashamed to admit, but it’s never been off road. You see, I used the special edition white chassis kit and didn’t want to dirty that up! Even with the short wheelbase, the wheel arches are slightly too far apart on my lexan body; maybe the hard body is better? I used a TT-02 because there’s something morally wrong with a 2wd Brat, and there’s also something morally wrong about a 4wd Brat on solid axles...
All the reasons you mentioned are why I took on this project to begin with. The hard body is at least a few mm shorter wheelbase.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Looks amazing. I've been wanting to do a scale version of one of these. Very impressive! Great job!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Johnny Builds a Brat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny builds an MST CFX Ford Bronco JohnnyAnguish Max Speed Technology CFX 67 07-14-2022 08:17 AM
Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX10 II 144 07-09-2021 03:04 PM
Johnny builds a scrap Dingo JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX-10 47 11-02-2018 01:29 PM
Johnny Greaves Airing it out HITMAN Chit Chat 29 01-06-2010 08:13 PM