RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.5 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-5-scale-rigs/)
-   -   c0bra attempts to build a k30 crew cab long bed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-5-scale-rigs/616747-c0bra-attempts-build-k30-crew-cab-long-bed.html)

c0bra 03-29-2020 08:35 PM

c0bra attempts to build a k30 crew cab long bed

Like the title says I am starting a k30 crew cab long build!

It’s just natural progression with a hint of craziness. See I’ve already built a regular cab short bed k10, a regular cab long bed k20 with both of them using Mod19rc parts from shapeways, for this I’m going to attempt to design my own completely from scratch.

Now some of you may know that this conversion is actually available, it was previously on Etsy and I think it’s still on eBay in Germany. I did try to order it off Etsy and let’s just say it ended in a refund. So I contacted the seller to see if I could buy the files for personal use only and they declined!

From the research I’ve done on these trucks the wheelbase isn’t correct with that conversion anyway so I will fix it.... hopefully!

For this build I picked up the rc4wd blazer body set and chopped the body in half, of course not very straight so yay more body work. Then I used a dremel and completely removed the lip on the top of the cab. Next I will be tracing the inside and outside of the cab onto a sheet of graph paper. I am doing this so I will have an easier reference when I go into fusion360. The next step will be to design the base of the part, meaning the part that will eventually be attached to the body and get the transition from plastic to 3d printed part as smooth as possible. Once I’m happy with that I will get the dimensions for the cab and everything as close as I can.

Here is what I have so far!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e5cb95e0a4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6b5931b7fd.jpg

Now for interior, the rc4wd interior is great for a regular cab, but for a crew cab it’s not going to work at all. So I will be using the stock interior as a base and will be printing my own floor pan and rear seat!

As far as the chassis goes I picked up a gcm cmax chassis and extension. The body and cab mounts will be based on gcm shapeways mounts that I will be designing.

As far as the rest of the parts it is still to be determined, but it will be on leafs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c0bra 04-03-2020 07:00 PM

Re: c0bra attempts to build a k30 crew cab long bed

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c2866e10e9.jpg

Not much of an update but I was able to get the first version of the conversion ready to print. I’m not trying to waste a ton of filament so I’m only printing the first 10mm of the conversion to see if the outer edge is good.

Now to wait nearly 4 and a half hours according to cura

JatoTheRipper 04-03-2020 08:06 PM

Good body choice. Looking forward to watch this one progress.

Thedesertplumber 04-04-2020 06:25 AM

Nice choice of a body, looks good!

twade984 04-05-2020 07:14 AM

Can’t wait to see it!

c0bra 04-05-2020 04:08 PM

I got the first version printed and unfortunately it was way too far off it areas so I clamped it to the body and measured the differences and changed it in fusion.

When I went to go print the part I found out it is way to wide for my printer and had to cut the file in half and add more to it so attaching it will be easier. It is currently printing now.

My printer is a ender 3 pro which has a 200x200 print bed

c0bra 10-04-2022 07:23 AM

This build is coming back from the dead as a winter build!

Since the last update on this thread I was able to find were to get the Scale Monkey crew cab conversion.....which I of course need to find were I put it!

Ill get some petg filament on the way in the next few days so this build can finally start moving in the right direction

ferp420 10-04-2022 07:54 AM

i was just thinking about a crew cab square bodys
i was wonderun why i havent seen any and was thinking
wouldent it be cool if someone came out with that as a actual model kit or rtr lol

B-MOW71 10-04-2022 09:38 AM

Great to see it's coming back to life!:)

Sounds like it will be a cool build. Can't wait to see it and follow along!

c0bra 10-11-2022 04:38 AM

Not much of an update, but I got some petg and jec currie leaf mounts on the way.

Axles will be clear scx10ii rockjock that still need to be built.

c0bra 10-20-2022 07:22 PM

c0bra attempts to build a k30 crew cab long bed

19 hours into a failed petg print later and there’s a weird 3d scanner coming soon???? Also some changes apparently needed for my printer

c0bra 10-25-2022 03:54 PM

The 3d scanner is in, I picked up a creality lizard off of feebay. Now to learn how to use it!

Also the printer upgrades arrived, once I get everything on the printer it should be ready to print in petg.

smc-93 10-25-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0bra (Post 6125285)
The 3d scanner is in, I picked up a creality lizard off of feebay. Now to learn how to use it!

Also the printer upgrades arrived, once I get everything on the printer it should be ready to print in petg.

I'd be interested to see what you can do with that scanner.
I thought about buying one myself but I figured (admittedly,without looking very deep) they would be too expensive for a hobbyist use

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

c0bra 10-31-2022 07:15 PM

Almost got all of the axle parts in, just waiting on I believe bearings. Once they come in I’ll assemble the axles and post pics.

Plan is to get the front and rear halves of the chassis assembled so I can get the anti wrap bars and suspension lift figured out.

The wheelbase is going to be really long on this and the cmax chassis is going to be too short without the extended frame rails.

godwnlo 04-06-2023 02:40 PM

did this build get selved again? would love to see some progress and hear how this scanner is working for you

c0bra 04-11-2023 04:39 AM

Not shelved but progress is slow. Having a lot of issues with the 3d scanner. Though they are probably due to lack of experience with it