Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Deadbolt f350 AKA the spongebob truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2022, 01:54 AM   #1

Default Deadbolt f350 AKA the spongebob truck

Pics to come

Little intro about me, when I was about 12 years old in 2011 I had a family friend get show me scale rock crawlers online. I never grew up with R/C cars not even toy grade so this was brand new to me however I’d always been into off-road with my dad being in the offroad business and a custom painter before that which exposed me to a range of different off-road and custom vehicles so I was well versed in what rock crawlers were plus we had a samurai on Toyota axles (WTB PROLINE SUMO BODY) that we used. My family friend was a friend of 4runn1 (lmk if you remember these names) and would attend the scale trail runs with Pantablo (another OG) and once I saw the videos I was hooked. I soon found out SCX10s were a whopping $300 and with my parents starting a small business I figured it was a pipe dream. Skip to Christmas and it seems Santa had other plans as a scx10 trail honcho was under the tree. Within a few months I was there with pantablo a guy I watched on YouTube now in person on a run at Vasquez rocks (video is dated 3-18-12 on yt) and I was hooked. Fast forward a year or two I knew I wanted leaf springs and this was right as the TF2 was being released. My family’s friend had the trail finder 1 which got me into leafs. I bought one and built it my first kit at 14 which I ended up putting on rock stompers to mimic my dads Toyota’s that were on 40s and 44s in the 80’s. Around 2014-15 I fell out of the hobby until the last couple months which is when I found out how much I missed over the years ( I was zukiguy on scale4x4forums and didn’t even know it shut down until last month) thus I started to get my crawlers back up and running which turned into my pops and I ordering 2 deadbolts. I’m still getting the old cars running but can you ever have too many of these things? Anyways now that you’re up to speed let’s talk about the newbie.

I got the deadbolt from RPP who I used a lot back in the day and I’m happy to see that they do still indeed ROCK. With the intention of doing the Tamiya F-350 body. I don’t especially like the f-350 but I saw how many tamiya bodies are out of stock and figured I’d try it as once you go hardbody it’s hard to go back and I am sick and tired of hilux’s since my two old trucks and my sisters truck are all hilux bodied. I was disappointed to see the deadbolt comes with only about 50% of what’s on the parts trees (you can see where other pieces were broken off before packaging) however I know this is the most budget scx10 ii other than that I love this truck it’s amazing the improvements made over the first Gen which I thought was the bomb for many years. Back to the parts trees that meant that I didn’t have the links to shorten the wheelbase (never minded the plastic links) which is a bummer but I just tacked them on my most recent RPP order.

My goal with this truck is to have something that looks like a lifted truck you’d see going down the street on a regular day my scx10 and TF2 have 4.2” tires on them which is great for my class 2 and a truck that’s meant to look like the mini monster trucks of the 80’s but not an average lifted super duty as I don’t see very many trucks on 42s in my town. So I have a set of 3.7” mud thrashers for it and a set of SSD 1.55 wheels on the way I’m really hoping to run full bumpers and not rub to terribly bad. So far I’ve mocked up the body and have an interior on the way.

Where the spongebob truck comes from.

Like I said my dad was a custom painter and happened to end up painting all of the Ventura county sheriffs off-road race team’s vehicles in the early 2000’s. One guy named lucky and had a bright yellow super duty which I called the spongebob truck as a little kid. As of right now the plan is to match that Ford yellow reasonably close.

Apologize for the long read but I hope you guys find it somewhat interesting. Follow along and watch me take another stab at this hobby now as an adult. I have more projects in my mind and plan on trying to hammer them all out within the following months including something I haven’t seen on here or another forum.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Leancuisine; 04-23-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Leancuisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Deadbolt f350 AKA the spongebob truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leancuisine View Post
Pics to come

Little intro about me, when I was about 12 years old in 2011 I had a family friend get show me scale rock crawlers online. I never grew up with R/C cars not even toy grade so this was brand new to me however I’d always been into off-road with my dad being in the offroad business and a custom painter before that which exposed me to a range of different off-road and custom vehicles so I was well versed in what rock crawlers were plus we had a samurai on Toyota axles (WTB PROLINE SUMO BODY) that we used. My family friend was a friend of 4runn1 (lmk if you remember these names) and would attend the scale trail runs with Pantablo (another OG) and once I saw the videos I was hooked. I soon found out SCX10s were a whopping $300 and with my parents starting a small business I figured it was a pipe dream. Skip to Christmas and it seems Santa had other plans as a scx10 trail honcho was under the tree. Within a few months I was there with pantablo a guy I watched on YouTube now in person on a run at Vasquez rocks (video is dated 3-18-12 on yt) and I was hooked. Fast forward a year or two I knew I wanted leaf springs and this was right as the TF2 was being released. My family’s friend had the trail finder 1 which got me into leafs. I bought one and built it my first kit at 14 which I ended up putting on rock stompers to mimic my dads Toyota’s that were on 40s and 44s in the 80’s. Around 2014-15 I fell out of the hobby until the last couple months which is when I found out how much I missed over the years ( I was zukiguy on scale4x4forums and didn’t even know it shut down until last month) thus I started to get my crawlers back up and running which turned into my pops and I ordering 2 deadbolts. I’m still getting the old cars running but can you ever have too many of these things? Anyways now that you’re up to speed let’s talk about the newbie.

I got the deadbolt from RPP who I used a lot back in the day and I’m happy to see that they do still indeed ROCK. With the intention of doing the Tamiya F-350 body. I don’t especially like the f-350 but I saw how many tamiya bodies are out of stock and figured I’d try it as once you go hardbody it’s hard to go back and I am sick and tired of hilux’s since my two old trucks and my sisters truck are all hilux bodied. I was disappointed to see the deadbolt comes with only about 50% of what’s on the parts trees (you can see where other pieces were broken off before packaging) however I know this is the most budget scx10 ii other than that I love this truck it’s amazing the improvements made over the first Gen which I thought was the bomb for many years. Back to the parts trees that meant that I didn’t have the links to shorten the wheelbase (never minded the plastic links) which is a bummer but I just tacked them on my most recent RPP order.

My goal with this truck is to have something that looks like a lifted truck you’d see going down the street on a regular day my scx10 and TF2 have 4.2” tires on them which is great for my class 2 and a truck that’s meant to look like the mini monster trucks of the 80’s but not an average lifted super duty as I don’t see very many trucks on 42s in my town. So I have a set of 3.7” mud thrashers for it and a set of SSD 1.55 wheels on the way I’m really hoping to run full bumpers and not rub to terribly bad. So far I’ve mocked up the body and have an interior on the way.

Where the spongebob truck comes from.

Like I said my dad was a custom painter and happened to end up painting all of the Ventura county sheriffs off-road race team’s vehicles in the early 2000’s. One guy named lucky and had a bright yellow super duty which I called the spongebob truck as a little kid. As of right now the plan is to match that Ford yellow reasonably close.

Apologize for the long read but I hope you guys find it somewhat interesting. Follow along and watch me take another stab at this hobby now as an adult. I have more projects in my mind and plan on trying to hammer them all out within the following months including something I haven’t seen on here or another forum.

Stay tuned.
There was no way I was going to read all that, until I saw you were from Simi. I head down there to the "Flanagan" Chumash park and trail every few weeks with the Ventura county guys. I'm heading out the door now to Lizards Mouth in Santa Barbara for some real crawling. Welcome back to the hobby. I had a Tamiya Toyota Prerunner in the late 90's (jr high), then never touched an rc again until a couple years ago when I needed something to do besides work during covid. Could have bought a decent car for what I've spend on rc's in that time, but it's worth it.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Nice to have ya on the board. I remember the perusing the Scale 4x4 forum back around the time I joined here. Believe I even joined but never got to posting.

Look forward to seeing where the build goes
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
There was no way I was going to read all that, until I saw you were from Simi. I head down there to the "Flanagan" Chumash park and trail every few weeks with the Ventura county guys. I'm heading out the door now to Lizards Mouth in Santa Barbara for some real crawling. Welcome back to the hobby. I had a Tamiya Toyota Prerunner in the late 90's (jr high), then never touched an rc again until a couple years ago when I needed something to do besides work during covid. Could have bought a decent car for what I've spend on rc's in that time, but it's worth it.
I have friends that live 1 street over from Flanagan with crawlers in fact I saw them today. I will definitely be hitting you up to plan a run soon
Leancuisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I might have been to Flanagan a few times...

boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadbolt, f350, scx10, scx10 ii, tamiya

Deadbolt f350 AKA the spongebob truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class 2 Deadbolt AKA Truck Norris Robudda Axial SCX-10 3 08-20-2016 10:22 PM
New Here and to Crawling / Deadbolt AKA Truck Norris Robudda Newbie General 1 08-09-2016 11:44 AM
Deadbolt aka project joker BigCountry11 Axial SCX-10 2 11-25-2014 11:48 AM
Harvie Passage aka RiverTrail aka Calgary Civic Trail Truck Park. Timbulb Canada 0 05-12-2013 12:20 PM
Spongebob rocks! slobin3d Chit Chat 12 10-12-2010 01:21 AM