Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1:10 Roofers Work Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Default 1:10 Roofers Work Truck

Howdy all, thought I'd share the TF2 trail truck I've been slowly tweaking over the past few years. So a couple of relevant facts I feel are pertinent before getting started: 1) my uncle owns a small roofing business that I've worked for a couple times in the past, and 2) I seem to have developed quite a kink for recreating real cars from my life as RCs over the past several years, as evident by the 3 different RC clones I've built of my own car .

Anyways, on to the Trailfinder. It started life as a humble RTR (I know, I know, get it out of your system). Here's the oldest picture I could find of it without booting up an old phone. As you can see I didn't waste much time before getting it filthy.

And here's how it got so filthy. Conquering its very first dirt pile!

So when I first got the thing I didn't have any specific plans for it. I mostly just wanted a full scale rig to tinker with after feeling like I'd reached the limits of my 1:18 Gelande. So I started with the basics: removing the helper springs, filing the corners off the leafs, swapping to those reverse mount rear leaf perches to prevent the leafs from binding, etc. I also played around with the axle-over-spring look for a bit.

I really liked this look. I still think about swapping to a smaller tire and going back to this stance.

But I'm also kinda scheming about maybe picking up a second TF2 to do so with, I dunno...

I digress. So at this point I had done enough homework to know if I wanted more travel out of my suspension, it would be cheaper and simpler to just go 4-link than to do the whole revolver shackle/z-box deal. I also knew I wanted to give the body some sort of theme, and at the time the plan was the Pizza Planet delivery truck from Toy Story. So I got it some 4-links and longer shocks and bought and painted the bed cap. I also replaced that garbage plastic bumper it came with with the metal one.

It was at this point that I discovered RC4WD made a ladder rack to fit the Mojave body that looked just like the rack on one of my uncle's Rams, and I immediately knew what I had to do with my Trailfinder.

Now, my uncle's never had a 3rd gen Hilux in his fleet, but I'm not necessarily trying to recreate any one truck in particular, more just build a rig that looks like one of his trucks took a stray round from Rick Moranis's shrink ray.

So step one, paint it black. Step two, paint it white.

I really liked the look here after some sanding between coats of white. Looked like something out of the Borderlands video games.

Masking for step 3

Orange.

Anyone else feel like they need a cigarette after this part?

Came out fairly well for a rattlecan job.

Looking better after correcting some mistakes around where the two colors meet and putting the rest of the body back together. Also added some scale ladders I found on eBay, and folded a bed box up out of some scrap aluminum trim coil.

Enter Player 2! Got a stupid deal on this thing on Black Friday last year and couldn't pass it up.

Only problem is now I've got two rigs and they're both 4-linked.

Can't have that!

By this point not only had I collected 2 sets each of the Teraflex z-boxes and revolver shackles, but I also upgraded to a lipo battery, and installed a winch as well.

Added the basic LED kit

And now to add some more flex

Gained one metric tire of flex at both ends.

Next mod was equal parts form and function

The Hank Hill edition battery killswitch from Powershift RC

Last edited by the-sofa-king; 12-05-2021 at 06:52 PM.
the-sofa-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #2

Default Re: 1:10 Roofers Work Truck

Cont...

Next mod (if you can even call it a mod) is entirely all form, zero function, but it might also just happen to be be my favorite addition yet.

The Homer Bucket in particular, watching it swing around and clunk against the ladder rack as this thing lumbers over rocks and roots brings me so much joy, I'm worries me that I might be somewhere on the spectrum.

And for the final "mod" I'd like to give Dan Aykroyd a quick shout-out and a big thank you for taking time from his busy schedule of being a Ghostbuster to drive my truck.

As far as future plans for this thing go, I'm working on getting the image files for the graphics and logos to match the 1:1. I'm also planning on finding some balsa wood to make some scale sheets of plywood to stick in the bed.

And that about brings you up to speed with my journey down the 1:10 scale rabbit hole thus far. Apologies, it hasn't been more detailed, or perfectly chronological. There were a couple things I glossed over due to poor documentation on my part. In an attempt to fill in any holes I may have left, here's as complete of a parts list as I could come up with off the top of my head:

RC4WD TF2 RTR
Stock motor
Stock ESC
Stock servo
Stock wheels
Stock tires
(Though I do have a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs mounted on deep dish 1.55" wagon wheels I'll occasionally run)
GensAce 5000mah 2s lipo
Powershift RC battery killswitch
RC4WD basic LED kit
RC4WD wired winch controller
RC4WD 8274 Warn winch
RC4WD Marlin Crawler front bumper
RC4WD aluminum front bumper mount #3
Terexlex revolver shackles
Teraflex z-boxes
RC4WD red monoleafs
RC4WD reversed rear leaf mount
Bilstein 90mm shocks up front
Bilstein 100mm shocks out back
RC4WD Gelande 2 front shock hoops
Chinese metal driveshafts
RC4WD TF2 hitch mount
Unbranded eBay hitch
RC4WD full interior
RC4WD tough armor contractors truck rack
eBay ladders
eBay 3d printed crates and bucket
eBay balsa wood pallets
And for winter months, an RC4WD super duty snow plow and some homemade tire chains.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed. In closing I'll leave you with an album of my favorite stills and short clips I've collected of this thing so far.

Last edited by the-sofa-king; 12-05-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

Beautiful build. Those scale ladders are incredibly realistic looking in the photos. Your use of the dead mans switch is great. I have always wanted to pick one of those up but never have.

Thanks for posting it up
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Beautiful build. Those scale ladders are incredibly realistic looking in the photos. Your use of the dead mans switch is great. I have always wanted to pick one of those up but never have.

Thanks for posting it up
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Yeah that one extendable ladder was a great score. Damnedest thing though is I can't for the life of me find any record of where I got it. I know I bought it off Amazon or eBay sometime in the past 2 years, but I can't even find an order record for it on either account. Sucks too, cause I wouldn't mind acquiring another one, but I've looked to no avail.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That's one sweet work truck, too many nifty details to list!

But I really wish the pics were sized correctly for the forum...

WHERE did ya get the scaled-down Homer buckets?

Did you print them and then create scale labels?

I scrolled through (trying to see the entire truck and its parts) and couldn't tell.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That's one sweet work truck, too many nifty details to list!

But I really wish the pics were sized correctly for the forum...

WHERE did ya get the scaled-down Homer buckets?

Did you print them and then create scale labels?

I scrolled through (trying to see the entire truck and its parts) and couldn't tell.
Thanks! Yeah apologies about the scaling. Formatting on this site isn't quite as mobile-friendly as SBG seems to be. Here's a link to the imgur album.

And here's the eBay link for the buckets. You can get a Home Depot, Lowes, or Murdoch's Ranch Supply bucket fully printed and labeled for $8.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

tottaly not we todd did !!

Last edited by ferp420; 12-03-2021 at 08:07 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-sofa-king View Post
Thanks! Yeah apologies about the scaling. Formatting on this site isn't quite as mobile-friendly as SBG seems to be. Here's a link to the imgur album.

And here's the eBay link for the buckets. You can get a Home Depot, Lowes, or Murdoch's Ranch Supply bucket fully printed and labeled for $8.
Many thanks for the link - ordered!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah apologies about the scaling. .
to shrink the pictures from imgru you need to put a lower case l after the link from imgur and right before the .jpeg

so it kinda looks like this

[ img]https://i.stupidimgurlinkgoesherel.jpeg[/img]

Last edited by ferp420; 12-03-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
to shrink the pictures from imgru you need to put a lower case l after the link from imgur and right before the .jpeg

so it kinda looks like this

[ img]https://i.stupidimgurlinkgoesherel.jpeg[/img]

Hey look at that, that's way less obnoxious to look at. Went back and edited the whole thing. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey look at that, that's way less obnoxious to look at. Went back and edited the whole thing. Thanks for the tip!
some realy nice person on this forum " cant remeber his name though" showed me that trick im just passing it along
Old 12-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looks great with all the add on's, bucket might be my favorite. I've also seen a ton of trucks with the igloo water cooler in that area on one side.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

great looking truck
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote

1:10 Roofers Work Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DAD's OLD WORK TRUCK ROCKEDUP RICKY 2.2 Scale Rigs 463 03-30-2014 04:37 PM
New Work Truck RANOVRU Chit Chat 32 09-03-2013 07:48 AM
My work truck. PCHILNSF 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 6 08-07-2013 11:26 AM