Notices

Thread: 76 Suburban Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 76 Suburban Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m torn… I’m leaning slightly towards the grabbers and wagon wheels though.

A square body with big tire and little wheel just seems right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
My vote is for the General Grabbers. They fit the body and scale look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Another vote for the AT's on wagon wheels. They look like they fit it perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
A/T's all the way. Although those graps would look just nasty churning thru the mud. Man.. hard call but still I'd say the AT's look a hair more at home under that body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Grabbers and wagon wheels! The first choice isn't bad for more aggressiveness, but I think the tire profile needs to be taller and/or smaller wheel like the 2nd choice.

Grabbers are back on, I agree they look better. I think The mud grapplers would look better a hair smaller and with a chrome 1.55 wagon mounted.

Paint color testing…

The colors aren’t exact but I think it will be such a small difference you won’t notice unless you have a 1:1 with the same color side by side with it.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Gotta say, as I was scrolling down the page, I stopped on the paint samples...

And already had in my mind the classic 2-tone 'Burban that you were going for BEFORE I got to the 2nd pic showing the actual truck.

When I was in high school the parents of 2 friends of mine (who happened to be identical twins) had one with a hole somewhere in the exhaust.

Being very immature, we would goad them into shifting the auto trans into neutral and revving the 454 until the defective exhaust cleared its throat every time we drove past a pretty girl.

Yep, we were some seriously cool dudes...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Default 76 Suburban Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Gotta say, as I was scrolling down the page, I stopped on the paint samples...

And already had in my mind the classic 2-tone 'Burban that you were going for BEFORE I got to the 2nd pic showing the actual truck.

When I was in high school the parents of 2 friends of mine (who happened to be identical twins) had one with a hole somewhere in the exhaust.

Being very immature, we would goad them into shifting the auto trans into neutral and revving the 454 until the defective exhaust cleared its throat every time we drove past a pretty girl.

Yep, we were some seriously cool dudes...

That’s hilarious, I bet it sounded great

I’m glad you knew what color I am going for, but I am really starting to second guess this paint…

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-03-2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:17 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Looks like I’m going to have some time to decide what to do, next two weeks we have rain forecasted everyday lol.

Im thinking maybe I do one body panel with the two tone, see how it looks and if I like it roll with it, if not either switch it up or try to find a closer match.

What’s your guys’ thoughts?
Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 AM   #65
RCC Addict

I mean... It's not toooo far off. But if it bugs you already then it may indeed always bother you to some degree. I guess if it were me I'd take a close look at the other factory paint/ trim pkg options from that year and see if there's another route you could go that would be a closer match. A two tone utilizing white as one of the colors is always a good bet then you only have to try to match the other color. Of course if that other color doesn't exist, then you're back to square one.

If it was lexan, you could experiment around with different backers... white, black... even yellow or gold. But that's gonna be harder to execute in a consistent match on the outside of a hard-body.

I think that this is a unique enough body ( and one that you so far have worked pretty hard on) to just lay down a color/ colors that you already aren't real happy with. So with that... I'd prob keep searching for another color scheme that matches more closely to the real deal. Not sure if you've looked in any auto parts stores or online but I'm sure there's something else out there that would more closely or exactly match one of the factory color options for that year.

And I guess because I'm writing a friggin novel here, those paints don't really bother me in terms of match. The yellow especially looks pretty close. But I dunno if the factory brown has any flake in it and if it does, then it would prob bug me to use a rattle-can color that didn't have any flake.

Alright, I'm out... sorry for the WOT.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

why not use factory touch up paint i see them all the time in touch up sizes
i found a napa auto parts that will mix any color you ask for and put it in a spray can they had the factory color codes there i had a couple of cans mixed up for my subaru about 10 years ago the paint is holding up great

just a thought
alot of time auto body shops will mix a small batch of paint for you to but mostlikely wont be able to do the spray can but the color will be right

it looks like there are a few places online that will mix a spray can of factory paint for ya too

Last edited by ferp420; 10-04-2022 at 07:49 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I mean... It's not toooo far off. But if it bugs you already then it may indeed always bother you to some degree. I guess if it were me I'd take a close look at the other factory paint/ trim pkg options from that year and see if there's another route you could go that would be a closer match. A two tone utilizing white as one of the colors is always a good bet then you only have to try to match the other color. Of course if that other color doesn't exist, then you're back to square one.

If it was lexan, you could experiment around with different backers... white, black... even yellow or gold. But that's gonna be harder to execute in a consistent match on the outside of a hard-body.

I think that this is a unique enough body ( and one that you so far have worked pretty hard on) to just lay down a color/ colors that you already aren't real happy with. So with that... I'd prob keep searching for another color scheme that matches more closely to the real deal. Not sure if you've looked in any auto parts stores or online but I'm sure there's something else out there that would more closely or exactly match one of the factory color options for that year.

And I guess because I'm writing a friggin novel here, those paints don't really bother me in terms of match. The yellow especially looks pretty close. But I dunno if the factory brown has any flake in it and if it does, then it would prob bug me to use a rattle-can color that didn't have any flake.

Alright, I'm out... sorry for the WOT.

I just got my paint at a local Ace and got what looked closest to the picture, but like Ferp said there is a Napa on island that I could probably get a duplicolor perfect match rattle can at. I wonder what the chances of them having a paint code from the late 70s would be. It wouldn’t hurt to try though. I’m not sure why I didn’t go there first.

And as far as other options I do have 2 other two tones I’m debating between; Hawaiian blue two tone and this brown on tan. I think the tan I have now would match pretty good and I could just find a darker shade of brown for the base color. Another good thing is this doesn’t appear to have any flake in it so it would be even easier to match. I think the first color I chose has some flake in the base. Maybe I could even find the Duplicolor Perfect Match for the original paint idea to replace what I have now. I’ll just have to see what they have.

And I agree on whole ‘unique body + ugly paint’ thing. I’ve spent a lot of time on it and I don’t want to half ass the paint just because it’s what I have on hand.

Funny thing is, I was originally going to go with this paint right here but seen the other and liked it better. Now I’m back here lol.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-05-2022 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:28 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Try this site out for both bottled and aerosol automotive paint for specific color codes - they aren't cheap but they aren't insane, either:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Hood & tailgate painted. Rustoleum Gloss Leather Brown & Gloss Khaki are a good combo. Still need clear, started to get rained on.

I will try and get some better pictures tomorrow, the lighting in the room gives the two tone a yellow hint, it’s more tan than the picture shows.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-09-2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

As promised, here’s some better lit pictures of the tailgate paint. Looks a lot better IMO.

and don’t mind the messy workbench lol, been A LOT of filling/sanding/priming going on lately.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

It's been forever since I've visited this forum but I'm liking how you Burb is turning out.

It's making me want to sit down and really put some work into either of the ones I've started. Life and other projects just keep getting in the way.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:24 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Color combo is rad bro.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

beautiful build! i have one question tho why do you have the front springs with the shackle in the front? chevys the shackle goes to the back
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben h View Post
beautiful build! i have one question tho why do you have the front springs with the shackle in the front? chevys the shackle goes to the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
It's been forever since I've visited this forum but I'm liking how you Burb is turning out.

It's making me want to sit down and really put some work into either of the ones I've started. Life and other projects just keep getting in the way.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Color combo is rad bro.

Sorry guys, I’ve been loaded lately with work and 1:1 projects and haven’t been doing much rc stuff lately. But nonetheless I have been working on it in my very limited free time and I’ve got another round of filling done. Hopefully only a few more rounds are needed so I can get this ball rolling again. I’m ready to get some paint on and get to the details lol.

As far as the hanger position up front, I honestly didn’t even catch it until I had started the frame rails, so I kind of have just rolled it. If it bothers me enough to spend a few hours per rail, I may make another set to correct it.

Thanks everyone for the continued support through this almost year long project so far.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Alright alright alright!

Got some paint laid this evening and was able to get a couple pictures of it on the chassis. I’m pretty happy with it but I still have some light weathering I want to do plus a clear coat to finish it off. I wasn’t going to weather it but some paint mistakes were made so I will to kind of ‘hide’ the paint booth mishaps. For a truck that’s going to get driven I’m not trying to make it 100% perfect. I really like this color combo tho!

Old 12-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Alright alright alright!

Got some paint laid this evening and was able to get a couple pictures of it on the chassis.

if you hide the railing in that last picture it looks like the real deal

i had to look twice to see if it was the one ypu made or the one you were trying to replicate
Old 12-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Man, that thing looks great. Sure will be fun to drive!

Your wheel and tire choice was excellent too. Those tires are the perfect size. The wheels look like the right size too, giving the right amount ot sidewall. Plus the tread pattern and the wheel design just look correct.

But your grill looks wrong. You should probably put a different one in there.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Man, that thing looks great. Sure will be fun to drive!

Your wheel and tire choice was excellent too. Those tires are the perfect size. The wheels look like the right size too, giving the right amount ot sidewall. Plus the tread pattern and the wheel design just look correct.

But your grill looks wrong. You should probably put a different one in there.

Is this grill better?

All jokes aside, thank you Fallen. The tire & wheel combo is factory off the element Trailrunner. I was just going to use these as temporary and get some nicer beadlocks but these are kind of growing on me. I may still switch but this size fits good IMO. I could even go a tiny bit smaller to maybe a 3.65, these are 3.85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
if you hide the railing in that last picture it looks like the real deal

i had to look twice to see if it was the one ypu made or the one you were trying to replicate
Thanks Ferp! I’m glad I could almost fool ya! Lol
Old 12-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Is this grill better?
ah needs dimonds and some gold bling
Old 12-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Looking good man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote

76 Suburban Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time build suburban all opinions wwlcome Paddysburb Newbie General 11 04-13-2017 07:08 PM
Suburban Build! cdw327 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 04-03-2017 09:33 AM
1985 1/9 Suburban scratch build JoeThePro 1.5 Scale Rigs 34 03-14-2017 06:57 AM
My suburban 87burb 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 06-21-2010 12:53 PM
bruiser suburban build Rockcrusher General Scale Talk 39 11-17-2006 05:55 PM