Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My First Attempt at Bodywork (not scratch built)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My First Attempt at Bodywork (not scratch built)

Thought I'd post this up for anyone looking for some inspiration for their own suburban build.

There's still a ton of body work to do but she's all one piece now. I didn't take more shots of the body work or write down any of my measurements but I can take measurements cut-cut if anybody is interested in doing the same conversion.

The chassis is a TF2 LWB with a Frankenstein leaf spring set-up and massive 1" flex (it'll primary be a trail/trailer, lack of flex isn't a issue), SSD Pro44 axle, RC4WD 1.55 wheels (don't remember the name off the top of my head) and RC4WD Patigonia tires.

For the future, I want to do a full 3-seat interior, scale engine, barn doors on the rear and possibly a custom, one piece, floor pan/inner fender/body mount.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 09-28-2021 at 10:46 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Another 1.55 Suburban

This is awesome.

Don't see many suburban builds, glad to see it's not another k10!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
This is awesome.

Don't see many suburban builds, glad to see it's not another k10!
Thank you.

I needed a sort of scale suburban in my (ever growing) fleet, but the only body options I could find were too old (not necessarily a problem) or too new, and 3D printed. Which would take forever to do myself. I much prefer the square body burbs.

Hopefully this project will lead me to learning some new crafting skills as well seeing as how I may have to scratch build my own interior and barn doors.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Thank you.

I needed a sort of scale suburban in my (ever growing) fleet, but the only body options I could find were too old (not necessarily a problem) or too new, and 3D printed. Which would take forever to do myself. I much prefer the square body burbs.

Hopefully this project will lead me to learning some new crafting skills as well seeing as how I may have to scratch build my own interior and barn doors.

I hear ya lol. There's so many build ideas I have, but all the really cool ones keep getting pushed off because they won't be as capable. Hopefully after this VS410 build I'm doing I'll want a scale rig.

I had the great idea of printing bodies, but they take soo long

I love doing bodywork. I started a chop on my XtraCab but realized I don't like it on my VS410 so I scrapped that idea and threw my bronco on it. I'll always go hardbody for now on unless it won't work-like my VS410.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I hear ya lol. There's so many build ideas I have, but all the really cool ones keep getting pushed off because they won't be as capable. Hopefully after this VS410 build I'm doing I'll want a scale rig.

I had the great idea of printing bodies, but they take soo long

I love doing bodywork. I started a chop on my XtraCab but realized I don't like it on my VS410 so I scrapped that idea and threw my bronco on it. I'll always go hardbody for now on unless it won't work-like my VS410.
I'm not interested in any competitions, so hard (heavy) bodies all the way.

If the finished truck turns out as well as I'm hoping, I might try my hand and building a custom trailer for it as well.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My First Attempt at Bodywork (not scratch built)

Looks good so far, appears to be a fun, promising scale build.
diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Any progress on this?
Old 02-11-2022, 01:49 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Any progress on this?
Unfortunately, none worth note ATM. It's taking a lot more work than I have the motivation for lately. I think I've decided to print an 89 suburban I found instead. Maybe one day I'll finish this one.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've finally got some (much needed, long awaited) progress to share on my Suburban build.

I went ahead and printed the 89 body. After much time and much filament, I've finally got a "finished" Suburban. The RC4WD double Blazer will hopefully get finished in the future. Old sold to someone willing to pickup where I left off.

I've spent a good part of today figuring out/starting the build of the floor plate. . I thought I was going to do the chassis mounted floor plate then build the interior into the body and sandwich magnets between the two for body mounts, but that will lift the "bed" too high relative to the doors. Now it's all going to be booked to the chassis with the body dropped over the top.

I still need to figure out stealth body mounts and where to hide the battery. It's rides a bit higher than I initially wanted but sitting on scale 35s, I think I can let that go.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've finally got some (much needed, long awaited) progress to share on my Suburban build.

I went ahead and printed the 89 body. After much time and much filament, I've finally got a "finished" Suburban. The RC4WD double Blazer will hopefully get finished in the future. Or sold to someone willing to pickup where I left off.

I've spent a good part of today figuring out/starting the build of the floor plate. . I thought I was going to do the chassis mounted floor plate then build the interior into the body and sandwich magnets between the two for body mounts, but that will lift the "bed" too high relative to the doors. Now it's all going to be booked to the chassis with the body dropped over the top.

I still need to figure out stealth body mounts and where to hide the battery. It's rides a bit higher than I initially wanted but sitting on scale 35s, I think I can let that go.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

very nice... print looks great, looking forward for the updates.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
very nice... print looks great, looking forward for the updates.
I appreciate it.

I've been working on "stitching" the seams together with a soldering iron. I printed and installed the door panels, modified to fit my floor plate, last night.

I still need to adjust the "bed" and get it printed,detailed and installed. I've got a few ideas in mind for body mounts and well as where to hide the battery but I need the interior filled out to test those ideas.

I'll post some more pics as I make progress.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:20 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default My First Attempt at Bodywork (not scratch built)

Looks great man! Gives me a kick in the rear to get back at mine, it’s been a good month since any real progress has been made. Sometimes it feels like I’m going backwards more than foward…

Old 06-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sometimes it feels like I’m going backwards more than foward…
I understand that all to well.

I got the rear floor/bed printed last night and while trying to install it I realized how crooked some of my other pieces were.

While trying to realign one door panel I knocked the other off, the dash came partially unglued from the fire wall, the styrene floor didn't line up with the printed bed floor, etc..

Long story short, I pulled apart most of the glued styrene interior I was working on and started taking measurements and designing an interior to be printed.

I've gotten to the point where I think I'm mostly happy with the design of the interior floor. I still need to take measurements to model in the mounting holes as well as get the electronics set purchased/installed so I can model in a battery box and wire management.

My First Attempt at Bodywork (not scratch built) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suburban dkchance74 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 07-01-2016 04:54 PM
Suburban : Moonshine Maktoko 1.5 Scale Rigs 61 05-21-2014 05:34 PM
suburban atc Paint and Body 2 12-16-2011 11:54 AM
Where can you get a suburban body? motostowes Paint and Body 3 12-09-2010 12:21 PM
My suburban 87burb 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 06-21-2010 12:53 PM