Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: K2-3S Trail Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default K2-3S Trail Rig

I finally got all my pieces, and built something! I just need a body with a 12" wheelbase. Any ideas? My K5 Blazer won't fit anymore...

Pictures:

I got my K2-3S chassis, and my Tamiya TRF shocks as well as the mounts, and the links.

Here's what I had, prior to building.

Assembling rear axle onto the chassis.

Front axle assembled onto the chassis. Its a roller now.

Electronics mockup.

Closeup of suspension.

Flex shot. It can do 3 tires, but only took this picture with 2. (Disregard the tape...it was a temporary battery holding solution...)

I have a body, but it's 1 inch too short (K5 Blazer).
If anyone has a nice 12" wheelbase one for trade, let me know.
Also, does the stampede tranny make alot of noise? I don't know, but when I accelerate, it makes a loud whining like noise..and it's not any kind of binding. Or is it the motor? (Mabuchi 540)
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
'08 2.2 National Champ

Use shorter links, then it will work fine, otherwise the Rubicon works well. Looks like a good start.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
Use shorter links, then it will work fine, otherwise the Rubicon works well. Looks like a good start.
So the Rubicon will fit?
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSynch View Post
So the Rubicon will fit?
Thanks.
Yes but you will want to get bigger tires at the least. It will look pretty silly in my opinion with those. The Blazer on the other had wouldn't look too bad at all with them and links are that much.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh View Post
Yes but you will want to get bigger tires at the least. It will look pretty silly in my opinion with those. The Blazer on the other had wouldn't look too bad at all with them and links are that much.
Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I finally got all my pieces, and built something! I just need a body with a 12" wheelbase. Any ideas? My K5 Blazer won't fit anymore...

Pictures:

I got my K2-3S chassis, and my Tamiya TRF shocks as well as the mounts, and the links.

Closeup of suspension.

Also, does the stampede tranny make alot of noise? I don't know, but when I accelerate, it makes a loud whining like noise..and it's not any kind of binding. Or is it the motor? (Mabuchi 540)
Nice.

Talk to me about the shocks?! what length and where did you buy them? I'm obsessed with shocks. They look like what my rig is supposed to have (70mm touring car shocks). talk to me...

love the way you did the rear steering lockout. I was wondering how to do mine and I think I'm going to have to copy you.

My stampede tranny makes a wierd sound too, but its like a waa-waa-waa sound instead of sounding consistent. You can hear it in some of my videos.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Lmao, shock obsession? They are Tamiya TRF shocks that I got here. They are about 70mm.. mwhaha. The rear lockout, well, when I got the axles, it was like that lol. Yea, the tranny makes that noise, so I guess it is alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
Nice.

Talk to me about the shocks?! what length and where did you buy them? I'm obsessed with shocks. They look like what my rig is supposed to have (70mm touring car shocks). talk to me...

love the way you did the rear steering lockout. I was wondering how to do mine and I think I'm going to have to copy you.

My stampede tranny makes a wierd sound too, but its like a waa-waa-waa sound instead of sounding consistent. You can hear it in some of my videos.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

if you like the chevy's you can get the 80s k-10. they have them in 11 and 12 inch wb
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm actually selling the K5 Blazer (FS Forum) to get an HPI Jeep Rubicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
if you like the chevy's you can get the 80s k-10. they have them in 11 and 12 inch wb
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

yes, obsessed. its the one thing thats faulty on my rig. the shocks I have are 70mm, and the chassis was designed for 70mm but these shocks are crap. They...nvm, long story. bottom line is I'd like to find a set of 70mm touring car shocks to make it right. I have other options but, well, I'm obsessed by them now. And you got them here so you're no help, lol.

I checked the TLT axles I have sitting ready for the rover build and I have the same rods so it'll be easy.

Thanks.

Quote:
Lmao, shock obsession? They are Tamiya TRF shocks that I got here. They are about 70mm.. mwhaha. The rear lockout, well, when I got the axles, it was like that lol. Yea, the tranny makes that noise, so I guess it is alright.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Lol. I think these are the shocks:

http://www.southeastrc.com/Items/Std...ookup=TAM53571

I THINK......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
yes, obsessed. its the one thing thats faulty on my rig. the shocks I have are 70mm, and the chassis was designed for 70mm but these shocks are crap. They...nvm, long story. bottom line is I'd like to find a set of 70mm touring car shocks to make it right. I have other options but, well, I'm obsessed by them now. And you got them here so you're no help, lol.

I checked the TLT axles I have sitting ready for the rover build and I have the same rods so it'll be easy.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you move the knuckles on the rear end to opposite sides, then you could probably lock it out from the front of the axle, which would clean up the looks of the rear.

Just make sure to clear the driveshaft.

Making your own links isn't hard either...then you can build to fit ANY body you want instead of being limited to a certain wheelbase.

Check out the sites Tech Section...didn't know we had one, did ya!? ;)

It has articles on making links, narrowing wheels, and other cool things.

http://www.rccrawler.com/tech.htm
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

o.O

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascman View Post
If you move the knuckles on the rear end to opposite sides, then you could probably lock it out from the front of the axle, which would clean up the looks of the rear.

Just make sure to clear the driveshaft.

Making your own links isn't hard either...then you can build to fit ANY body you want instead of being limited to a certain wheelbase.

Check out the sites Tech Section...didn't know we had one, did ya!? ;)

It has articles on making links, narrowing wheels, and other cool things.

http://www.rccrawler.com/tech.htm
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

pantablo, these are the shocks..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGJ29