Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Suspension issues - need expert advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Default Suspension issues - need expert advice!

Hey guys I need some advice from some experienced scalers!

my rig is more of a trail truck than serious crawler so I have some speed and some crawl.

if I want articulation, I got it but then I get lots of chassis sway/body roll. wasn't too bad but when I put the body on, the truck flopped around all over the place.

I put in some preload spacers and that reduced the sway/body roll but now it doesn't articulate much, kinda like a stock f350 high lift.

What can I do to get the best of both worlds? Maybe change the shock mounting location? shock angle? inboard mounting? different shocks? what gives?

I am running tlt shocks straight up and down.

maccasvanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

TLT shocks are way too soft, get stiffer springs if you can find them or better shocks. Might be able to run double springs or use a heavier oil in the one side.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

It would help to see pics with the body and how you have the body mounted as well.

They aren't too soft, it depends on the rig. I am having to go to them on my JK because even tho I have a 7lb rig most of it is in the wheels/tires and it won't articulate with Losi whites.

Stampede Front's are a good length and are the same diameter as maxx shocks and losi shocks for the LST trucks so can give you a lot of spring options.

Last edited by Jaynen; 03-18-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

with preloads the shocks aren't too soft, they wont even compress when trying to articulte, resulting in a rollover. they are too soft without preloads though, hence the sway. I will try and get some pics up of the body mounts. Here is how she sits with the body

Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would try a different/better shock. Something like a 4" stadium, maxx, offroad shock
And with the new shocks, a heavier spring since you are using a hardbody.
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

try adding weights to your wheels and try slanting the shocks toward center (looking at it from side) by at least 1/2". That worked for me. These pics were with my alum beadlocks (heavier than plastic wheels) and weights in wheels-3.5oz each front and half that each rear. When I had plastic wheels I ran as many as I could fit in the inner wheel well since the tires were glued already-about 2.25oz and that helps tons.

I'm running turned TLT's. top is set in 1/2" from bottom mount.

not inclined to roll over as much:

good articulation:

Other things you can try are cutting the springs down and tuning them with the preloads but I'd suggest doing so with a spare set of springs. You could also try removing the external spring and installing a internal spring, using the spring from a bic pen (don't laugh, sleek6mt here uses that setup on his hilux successfully).
You could also try mounting the rear top mount more centered (looking from the rear).

Last edited by pantablo; 03-18-2008 at 03:23 PM.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #7

thanks for the advice, I will try some of the ideas. I'm thinking that heavier wheels will probably solve the problem. As the truck articulates, the weight of the well in the air will bing it down to the ground. In my mind this makes the most sense. I'm liking the internal spring idea as it will look good too! however, the bic pen springs? are they softer then stock tlts? firmer?
Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

not sure how soft the bic springs are. you'll have to experiment a bit. stiff enough to support the weight of the hilux and keep the shocks fully extended, yet allow it to flex and articulate.
see his tan hilux in my video, particularly after 4:50:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTr1enhOzjs
Keep your suspension softer and add weights. I think this will give you what you are after.

also, here's my other rig with a slightly different setup. I dont have these wheels on here any more (alum beadlocks replaced these too) but here you can see the weights behind the front spokes.

try that first, and also add temp weights to the top of the axles at either side of the pumpkin, as an experiment.

You can also alter articulation by making longer lower links and refitting the upper links to be more parallel instead of attaching at the same spot on the chassis. Make a big difference too. I shortened my rear links by 1/4" and lost at least that much vertical travel to the rear articulation. it was uncanny.

My rovers links are almost parallel:

Last edited by pantablo; 03-18-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

sweet! Thanks! Lots of work to do yet then!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I struggled with my gwagon suspension for a long time and was really frustrated but I stuck with it and am really happy with the two rigs.

One last suggestion-make only one change at a time and see how that affects the suspension. You'll learn more about how it all interacts if you do.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #11

so I think I will lay the shocks down a little. I've heard lots of people say that the tlt shocks are no good. What shocks do you guys recommend? I've heard duratrax evader work for some people. I have a set of stampede shocks kicking around here, what about using them?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

since you have the TLT shocks now, try some other things to eliminate those things, before you spend money on shocks. It will give you a better idea what you need in a shock if it comes to that. Keep the TLTs for now, tilt them in a bit at the top (looking from side) and see what that does first. Add weights after that. one step at a time. There's no one answer.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #13

ok, I will tilt them in. If I do that though, will it articulate easier (needing less pressure to compress) or is it more range of artic?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

should articulate more. or easier. or both. can't remember what that single thing did to mine, but that combined with longer links and parallel links made a world of difference.

compare two videos:
before:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2QqqWJh_K5s
this was with shorter touring car shocks that were too stiff, and were vertical and the links were too short.

after:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6j86jjjSXXc
this is only with TLT turned shocks layed back, some weights in wheels.
links are same.

performs even better now with alum beadlocks and more weights in the wheels and even longer links, same as my range rover, previous video.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #15

wow! What a difference. I guess the key is to change something. run it. change something else. run it. etc etc till it is just how you want it.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccasvanquish View Post
I guess the key is to change something. run it. change something else. run it. etc etc till it is just how you want it.
exactly.
keep us posted on your progress.
Good luck.
pablo-