Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep Wrangler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler
Default Jeep Wrangler build

Well I have been pretty inspired by a few of the Wrangler builds going on so I decided to start my own since I am waiting on parts for my Datsun 720. For now it will sit on a Tamiya CC-01 Touareg chassis. Starting out with this.
Attached Images

eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

CC-01 chassis is locked in the front and rear. Tamiya sport tuned 540 motor spins the wheels. Prob going to go with Hummer wheels and for now High Lift tires, but I may check out some other options. I cut up the body A LOT. Pretty nervous doing it since these bodies are a treasure to a lot of people. It looked a bit funny so I extended the body on the sides. Looks pretty cool now. I think I am going to go with a semi gloss black top and a MetallicA blue body. I have some ideas for rear suspension, just waiting for the shocks to arrive. While I was doing some chopping of the Twarg chassis I mocked it up on a Pajero XB chassis.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good start, I don't think I could have cut that body
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thats the way to show some balls Vedder!!!!LOL Liking what im seeing so far keep it commin !!
Where did you get your wrangler from?
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Looks like a good start, I don't think I could have cut that body
You have no idea how scared I was to do it. But what really helped is that I have a NIB Wrangler that I will build someday soon and probably keep stock so thinking of that helped me through the chopping process. Here are some pics of the chopped up front end of the CC-01. Hated that stock bumper so I replaced with this one. I have had it for a while and I think it is a Hellfire bumper. I sprayed the body a semi gloss black and will add a few coats of blue tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by eddievedder; 04-09-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thats the way to show some balls Vedder!!!!LOL Liking what im seeing so far keep it commin !!
Where did you get your wrangler from?
Haha. I got this one used off of ebay but it came a bit busted up from shipping. Seller took care of the problem but I believe that they soaked it in brake fluid to remove the paint and some parts were really weak which is another reason for the chopping. There were a few cracks on the fenders and instead of repair I just whipped out the dremel. I would have never thought to do it to a new one. I have a brand new Wrangler kit in my garage still sealed and I look up at it often and usually wonder why it is still sealed. I guess i just have other stuff going on but I think I am now very inspired to build it and build it stock, well except for motor, locked diffs, paint, and some wheels/tires. Uh, so I guess NOT stock. I am not a big fan of those gold rims it comes with. Here are some pics with the first coat of black MOSTLY dry. I just realized I got black paint on the keyboard. I drilled holes for body mounts but figured out a better/more "scale" way to mount it so I filled them right up.
Is it just me or does that last pic look a bit like Darth Vader?
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice - the black on black on black looks good... Makes that YJ even more evil looking.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Nice - the black on black on black looks good... Makes that YJ even more evil looking.
X2 I love it
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

X3-The Dark side of the Force is calling. Looks good in black
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

WOW thanks, and here I was think "oh metallic blue will look really nice" But I am starting to like the "evil" look of the black. Ok, so now I may throw a few more coats of semi gloss black on it and then go flat black with the hard top just so there is a slight difference.

What do you think?

And I busted out the dremel and messed with the front of the CC-01 chassis, since in the "Vader" picture in the previous post, you can see the wheel well of the chassis. Well now it is gone. Ok, so now I am even curious how this will turn out and I am the one building it. I had a totally different picture in my mind before I started chopping the body and painting and such.

Thanks for the comments and steering me toward the "dark side"

Here are some pics with the chassis chopped a bit more. And I was putting stuff underneath the rear to prop it up and I used the stock CC-01 bumper as part of the prop and I actually may try to make a rear bumper out of it.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Ok, so now I may throw a few more coats of semi gloss black on it and then go flat black with the hard top just so there is a slight difference.
Sounds like you have a plan.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks good so far,
I'm gonna follow this build.
Wild trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

looks great.
I would use a textured paint on the top to give it more contrast...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Looking good, can't wait to see more!
crawlbe4youwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It still shocks me when I see one of these wrangler bodies go under the knife. I can cut up Bruisers, Hilux and Mountaineer bodies all day but this I still have to get use too

Looks like a killer build

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Your YJ is coming along nicely..!! I've always had a soft spot for the Metallic Blue though..!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Your YJ is coming along nicely..!! I've always had a soft spot for the Metallic Blue though..!!!
WOW!! Nice Jeep! Ok so now I can NOT paint mine blue, so black on black on black is what it shall be. I was also thinking of silver for the hinges

Those reduced claw dawgs are mint! I like the look of them with the hummer wheels. I will probably upgrade from the high lift tires as this build moves on, but not quite sure yet what tires will go on. I got my trail docs in today and still waiting on mud slingers so I'll to around with those.

No real progress today, unfortunately I had to go to work.

Hey i just notice the red accents under the rear end...hmm I guess I may change mine to yellow...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Hey Thanks- I've done a couple of Wrangler bodys like this before.. Yes, It IS scary cutting one up, but the end results are worth it in my opinion, because you and I both now have rare "custom" YJ's..! I also like the fact you added the plastic lower piece under the doors...( most people DON"T do that add on, and it ends up making the body look like crap ) You did a nice job on yours..! The Claw Dawgs are the way to go with these jeeps with no flares.. they fit the wheel well perfectly, with NO rubbing. LOL- Yes, mine has the red trailing arms, but its ok dude, you can leave yours- I don't mind having a "twin" YJ..!!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
I don't mind having a "twin" YJ..!!!!
HAHA

Jeep looks good, I have always wanted one of these
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

51WillysJeep, Thanks for the comments and compliments. As for the added piece under the doors, it is a must. I did not do it at first and mocked it up on the chassis and it looked way out of place. I actually at that point thought, wow I ruined this treasure of a body. But then the creative side of my brain turned on and well you know the rest. Well anyway since you dont mind having a "twin" YJ I made this in tribute to you and your YJ for when mine is finished. I will sport it with pride
Attached Images