Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: KOH Race/trail Jeep CJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

well I welded on 14 3mm flange nuts, 7 per side and cut out some cardboard templates to get the right shape for the panels. Then cut out a panel, painted it what I thought was the right color, but I was wrong. So I left the other side blank till I get the color right. It's coming along nicely
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

I made some more progress over the weekend. I plated the double B pillar and made the aluminum roof panel. I decided to leave the tranny on the SCX skid/mount for the sake of performance. I'll attempt to make an interior panel using the Recaro cell phone seat backs. I'll have to search scratch built interiors to get some ideas.

I'll update this post with pics in the am.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Here's the updated pics

I know the paint doesn't match but I'm still looking for the right paint

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

looks good i like it
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I finally took all the black ano off my Dark Soul wheels and installed some axial narrow 4mm hexes to keep the track width down. Unfortunately the wheels hit the knuckles. I forget which knuckles I bought since it was so long ago. Now I have to figure out which knuckles to use that will clear the wheels.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

well I took out the rig today to my testing spot to give her go. The jeep worked well but I really need firmer foams and I'll probably lighten the weight in the wheels. I added 3 3/4oz. per and with the stout aluminum wheels I think they are a bit on the heavy side. She climbed most everything I pointed her at but I'd still like a bit more out of her. So I'll play with some things mainly the rear axle truss/link mount. The geometry is causing some torque twist. Not sure if the links need to be shorter or set wider apart, any ideas?

I'll snap a pic and post it so everyone can see.

Which foams are people buying for a 7lb rig?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Dave. It needs some Baja Claws on it!!!! I'll get my claws to rob so you can try them.

Last edited by Kage; 03-15-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm having some issues with my photo hosting site. But I did make a new upper link mount on my truss. It pushes the links forward about 3/8". I also moved the rear shocks to the rearward hole. I'll try and test it tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

what size tubing did you use and where could I get it online? I am deployed so I wont be able to go to a store to pick it up.

5 stars on the build!! I love it!!!
inkpen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkpen00 View Post
what size tubing did you use and where could I get it online? I am deployed so I wont be able to go to a store to pick it up.

5 stars on the build!! I love it!!!
It's 3/16" x .035 wall Cromoly tubing from Mcmaster.com. Thank you for serving our country. Let me know if I can help out with anything on your build.

I ran this thing on 3S last night in the yard and holy crap is it fast. Voltage is king!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the information! Well right now I am just waiting on the Axial SCX10 chassis and the New Bright JK body to be shipped to me. Did you TIG the cage together?
inkpen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #112

nice jeeps. like them alot.
Jordan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkpen00 View Post
Thanks for the information! Well right now I am just waiting on the Axial SCX10 chassis and the New Bright JK body to be shipped to me. Did you TIG the cage together?
No I MIG'd it all. Good luck on your build
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

That is looking good. Nice work
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

I took the lightbar off and actually like it better. So I unbolted it and left the mount on to see if they'll hold up and/or get hung up. next up is to strip it clean up some of the welds, paint the chassis and overhaul the squeeky axles. Some times I think about running the RD2 in a 2wd/4wd setup to give me some more interior room. Any thoughts?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #116
Rock Stacker

beautiful!
r2 trannys are loud cause the 35 pitch deal, but ive run one for a year or more and finally had to replace one gear,
oh and they are slow, much higher tourqe tranny, and i think they come with an 8 tooth pinion, 12 seems to be better, no slipper which breaks more...i run mine brushless also! holds up nice,
i was finally able to make an interior thanks to the r2 and dig is always cool to play with!

Last edited by gardenwelder; 04-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.
gardenwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

I made a few changes to this the rig. I changed the B pillar to eliminate hangups since it stuck out a bit compared to the A pillar. I also decided to try some tube fenders. I'm thinking I'm going to add some flare by bending the tube going from the fender to the slider. Here's some progress pics

Here's some action shots from before the mods

Last edited by rckjeep; 04-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Can't believe nobody had a comment on the flying Jeep pics.

Anyway, I had a big problem with my rig yesterday. I was driving on my Graveyard trail out front when all forward progress stopped, I could steer but no go. I take a look and the ESC had ripped off the double sided tape. I thought that was weird, then I noticed the wiring all wrapped around the MIP shaft. Then I found out that pin holding the MIP shaft together had walked out a good 1/4" and grabbed the harness going to the RX and ripped the signal wire out of the ESC. So my brand new TorqueMaster BR-XL ESC is done . I am not a happy camper

Last edited by rckjeep; 04-09-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I started working on the interior, made a floor pan from some ABS though it's a little flexable. I'm hoping that when I bolt it in place it'll stiffen up. I also made some seats out of aluminum sheet but they came out a little crude. I may try again. I need to get some more 3mm flange nuts to weld on for the interior panels. Off to McMaster.com
Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

So the intereior is in though some bolts for dash are in order. The winch is mounted but needs wiring. I had to slightly modify the front bumper and am still up in the air about the stinger. I do need to add a small piece of sheet metal under the leading edge of the winch plate since it's hanging over the front bumper. I'm really over the stinger thing but it has come in handy at times. In my opinion the stinger makes it more trail and less KOH. What are peoples thought about the stinger on this rig or any rig for that matter?

I heard back from Holmes hobby regarding my BR-XL ESC and he said it's fixable so I'm hoping to get it back in a week or so for our 1:1 wheeling trip in 2 weeks.

Where are people getting these sick aluminum steering wheels I keep seeing?