RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Toyota Hilux 4WD build w/Trail Finder Chassis (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/123311-toyota-hilux-4wd-build-w-trail-finder-chassis.html)

eddievedder 06-12-2008 07:58 PM

Toyota Hilux 4WD build w/Trail Finder Chassis

3 Attachment(s)
Got home from work today and had some new D40 axles and and a new chassis and some other parts sitting on my doorstep. Thanks RC4WD!!!! Anyway I had a Toyota body sitting around primed and ready for painting for some time now, and had these wheels that I wanted to use for a build too. I figured I would try out the Trail Finder chassis. Seems to be a product of great quality. I really wasnt a huge fan of the Toyota Hilux but man it has really grown on me and I can not wait to build this one. I have been keeping up with a lot of the Toyota builds going on here and have grown to really enjoy how each one comes to life. This will be my FIRST shot at a Toyota Hilux pick up truck"thumbsup" I also am gathering parts for a Yota/hybrid Bruiser chassis build for down the road. I have not even started this one and I am already collecting parts for my next one! OK here we go. Starter pics for now and I hope to get this build going soon.

live2crawl 06-12-2008 08:09 PM

wow. looks like you will be having alot of fun. thats going to be one sick yota when its done. you doing a build thread? if so i will definitly be watching this one. awsome.:flipoff:

guamcrawler 06-13-2008 02:34 AM

:shock:you have my attention:shock:

gyrene 06-13-2008 03:58 AM

Those axles look bad azz!:twisted: It's going to be an awsome build!"thumbsup"

AeroSynch 06-13-2008 07:48 AM

I can't wait to see this awesome build.

4 RUNN 1 06-13-2008 08:17 AM

:shock:awesome selection of parts this is the chassis i wanted to see built up "thumbsup"

eddievedder 06-15-2008 10:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Got started a bit this morning but headed to Dad's now. I just have a leaf spring tech question since this is my first attempt at a leafed rig. From the axles up I have the smallest leaf, then the main then the medium leaf. see pics. Any other suggestions on how to set this up or will this be ok? Thanks. It is a bit stiff now and as far as dampers going with turned down TLT with internal springs. Maybe I should just use the main leaf only? Any help would be great.

Thanks again a Happy Father's day to all the Dad's out there"thumbsup"

1981toyotapu 06-15-2008 10:22 AM

When I ran my rig I just ran the main leaf only. But I did bend it when I ran just the main leaf.

Awesome build Man I would love to build something like this!

eddievedder 06-16-2008 08:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Small progress this morning. I wanted to get the body mounted to make sure ride height was ok and and wheelbase matched up. It is coming along nicely and this chassis is great to work with. Stock Trail Finder Body mounts are WACK!!! Dont match up at all with the Hilux body. They should have put one rear mount for the front (taller) and two front mounts for the rear (shorter) and moved the front mount a bit more towards the front. It still would sit a bit too high with that setup but al least would have matched up a little better. But with some slight tweaking it all worked out.

Still curious if anyone else has suggestions about the leafs that I mentioned in the earlier post? Again this is my first time using leafs and dont want to mangle them up but do want to get some good flex.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1BadJeepBruiser 06-16-2008 10:13 AM

What you really want to do is ditch the high lift jugg springs and shell out the $$$ for Bruiser leafs. If you want to work with the jugg springs you can, what I would do is run the main leaf and the medium leaf under it and see if you can work in a track bar system to help with axle wrap (thats usually why the bend). The most *important* thing to do is, is to "chino mod" the leaf spring eyelets. That will make a huge a difference"thumbsup"

Keep up the good work

-Mike

eddievedder 06-16-2008 10:44 AM

Thanks Mike. I have a few more questions for you.

I have already spent a bunch of $$$ collecting parts for builds so why not a few more on Bruiser leafs. Should I go for OG Bruiser leafs or the ones RC4wd makes that state they are Heavy Duty Bruiser leafs? Also with the Bruiser leafs will I still need a track bar system or are they strong enough not to wrap? I never owned a Bruiser but I am pretty sure they have the rear track bars. I could be wrong...

And either way I WILL be doing the Chino Mod"thumbsup"

Thanks again for your help.

eddievedder 06-16-2008 03:35 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Worked a bit more on this and did the Chino Mod to the leafs. Thanks Mike"thumbsup" I am still waiting on a few more parts from RC4WD including the rear drive shaft. Hope to get this running soon. Motor and electronics are in. Going with a 45t integy, and an R2 single speed tranny. Added some dampers for now with no springs. Hope these leafs soften up a bit while I try to track down some Bruiser leafs. Anyway Chassis was real easy to work with and the D40 axles are great. Hope the performance is just as good. More updates and paint to come.

obijuan 06-16-2008 06:42 PM

at nats i ran F350 springs:
front:
main leaf
four inch leaf on bottom
rear:
3 inch or so leaf on top
main leaf
four inch leaf on bottom

flexed like hell. never bent one.
however if i were you i would move the front shackle to the rear eye of the spring and have the fixed mounting point at the front of the frame. it looks doable, but shimming for caster may be needed or something.

1BadJeepBruiser 06-16-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddievedder (Post 1228612)
Thanks Mike. I have a few more questions for you.

I have already spent a bunch of $$$ collecting parts for builds so why not a few more on Bruiser leafs. Should I go for OG Bruiser leafs or the ones RC4wd makes that state they are Heavy Duty Bruiser leafs? Also with the Bruiser leafs will I still need a track bar system or are they strong enough not to wrap? I never owned a Bruiser but I am pretty sure they have the rear track bars. I could be wrong...

And either way I WILL be doing the Chino Mod"thumbsup"

Thanks again for your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddievedder (Post 1228886)
Worked a bit more on this and did the Chino Mod to the leafs. Thanks Mike"thumbsup" I am still waiting on a few more parts from RC4WD including the rear drive shaft. Hope to get this running soon. Motor and electronics are in. Going with a 45t integy, and an R2 single speed tranny. Added some dampers for now with no springs. Hope these leafs soften up a bit while I try to track down some Bruiser leafs. Anyway Chassis was real easy to work with and the D40 axles are great. Hope the performance is just as good. More updates and paint to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obijuan (Post 1229108)
at nats i ran F350 springs:
front:
main leaf
four inch leaf on bottom
rear:
3 inch or so leaf on top
main leaf
four inch leaf on bottom

flexed like hell. never bent one.
however if i were you i would move the front shackle to the rear eye of the spring and have the fixed mounting point at the front of the frame. it looks doable, but shimming for caster may be needed or something.

Eddie

Dont get me wrong, the jugg springs can be made to flex like Matt has said, but they need to Break in for sure. The Bruiser ones may need to as well depending on the set you get. The ones in my Brown yota clone are broken in so much now that it flexes just about as well as it did when it was 4 linked.

The reason I like the Bruiser ones is mainly because of the less arch which gives the truck a lower a ride height which will make it more stable.

OG Bruisers did have track bars... although they really didnt do much other then hinder GC :lol: I ran my clone the entire scale nats with Bruiser leafs and didnt have a track bar and had no problems. I chino mod them and run the main leaf and the 2nd large leaf (leave out the little one).

Mike

eddievedder 06-16-2008 07:46 PM

Thanks obijuan and 1badjeepfufubruiserberry

Right now I am running the Chino Mod springs with main and medium under that. Obviously they are BRAND new and need to be broken in which I will do until I can find some OG Bruiser springs.

Mike, I just revisited your Clone build thread and saw what you meant about the difference in the two springs. Bruisers sit a lot lower. I guess I would just drill out the Bruiser leafs like the f350 leafs.

obijuan, I will try to set up the fixed point in the front. I think with drilling one hole on each side of the chassis it can be done. Just curious, what is the advantage to doing so?

Thanks again to the both you, and for everyone else's suggestions too.

obijuan 06-16-2008 07:54 PM

youve got a big rock right in front of your front shackle under the bumper, try to go forward without bending that leaf. swap em around your spring will "slide" over the obstruction.

eddievedder 06-16-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obijuan (Post 1229196)
youve got a big rock right in front of your front shackle under the bumper, try to go forward without bending that leaf. swap em around your spring will "slide" over the obstruction.

Ahhhh I see. Sweet. Thanks obijuan.

obijuan 06-16-2008 08:06 PM

its a jeep thing:roll:

Nova's Ark 06-17-2008 12:36 PM

Is the "Chino eyelet mod" angling the eyelet of the leaf spring inwards? That is what it looks like from the picture. Is the reasoning behind the mod to the leaf spring eyelet, from square to angled, to allow more flex?

1BadJeepBruiser 06-17-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 1230013)
Is the "Chino eyelet mod" angling the eyelet of the leaf spring inwards? That is what it looks like from the picture. Is the reasoning behind the mod to the leaf spring eyelet, from square to angled, to allow more flex?

yes, its angling the eyelet so that it alllows the spring to be able to twist some inside the shackle/hanger, much like how a real leaf spring would with its rubber or poly bushings in then eyelets. You also elminate the bushing that goes inside them on the Bruiser ones.