Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First Scale Build: Project Alaska Scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Talking First Scale Build: Project Alaska Scaler

This is my First RC Car/Truck Build in 10yrs+ Recently got back into it with my Son and some nylints i got off of craigslist. anyways enough with the boring stuff. Although i do run a business building/designing and selling RC airplanes so i am Fairly proficient at assembly skills

I'm going to use this Thread as a build log of my truck and all the changes its going to go through. building it stock for now but i'm sure in the next month or so it will undergo alot of different changes to make it more usable/trail worthy.

Just to touch on the stuff i have going into this truck so far i will touch on that below.,

ESC: LRP AI Quantum Runner Plus: Wanted it to be waterproof but will probably change later after some reading on here.
Motor: Integy 55t Lathe Motor
Rims: 1.9 HotRaceing Beadlocks
Tires: RC4WD Rock Crushers.
RX: AR6100E
Servos: Traxxas E-Maxx Waterproof High Torq Servos

I am planning on useing the idle(3way toggle) switch on my dX7 for a 645MG winch
and i picked up a package of the traxxas spacers like suggested in the F350 build tips/guide thread for the axels.

Well its build day and here are some shots i started it at 11am this morning and it took me untill almost 6pm to get this far. i stopped inbetween for a smoke/eat break a few times and a couple out of frustration of finding the parts it called for lol!

I've read and have been told by people on this forum that the hilux kit includes the 4link mounts for the truck. does that mean it comes with everything needed to 4 link it? or do i need to buy seperate parts? i looked at the bags and think i know what they look like but am not sure. does anyone have a picture and or directions for doing this? i couldnt find any information on it in the manual..

Thanls

Here are some pictures.
Ill will post more progress as it happens.
Attached Images

Last edited by akguanja; 07-06-2008 at 08:16 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks good what do you have planned for the body.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

something in red i haven't bought the paint yet. i have a 1:1 hilux same year/model as this and its red. whats a good paint that i can buy locally(no hobby shop withen about 60$ in gas!) lol...

as for astetics i'm going to try and go all out interior/sliders/front bumper w/a stinger/ rear bumper and hopefully a tire rack in the bed w/ the tamiya tire/spare for now untill i can get another crusher(should have orderd 5).

probably droping the body down some like i've seen alot of people do on here.

i'm sure it will evolve into more then i can currently imagine sometimes i tend to get carried away with things lol...

- tre
Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i have no clue on what is a good paint. but good luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
whats a good paint that i can buy locally(no hobby shop withen about 60$ in gas!) lol..
Walmart has a pretty wide range of water-based paint in the craft section. I'm pretty sure they have small cans of enamels in the paint section as well. The Wal-mart here used to have a lot of Testors model car paints but they stopped :-(. Maybe try an arts and crafts store in your area! Then there's always the gool ol' interwebs
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

Krylon, and Duplicolor make some of the best paint enamel's to use.
i belive you can buy krylon at wal-mart
ProAmLTR#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
Walmart has a pretty wide range of water-based paint in the craft section. I'm pretty sure they have small cans of enamels in the paint section as well. The Wal-mart here used to have a lot of Testors model car paints but they stopped :-(. Maybe try an arts and crafts store in your area! Then there's always the gool ol' interwebs
lol i dont think water based is going to do any good ;) i want something that will bond to this abs/ps very well and then a outer coat to make it kind of scratch resistant.

- tre
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Its a Runner!

Okay so i got to do some more stuff this evening finished the frame/axles and installed the servos and finished the truck pretty much i'm not going to build the body up yet without paint but i did put it together enough to get a picture and i ran a pack through her ;D

what charge rate should i use on a 3600 6c nimh? (havent had to deal with them in years everything is lipo now.)

heres a few pictures

-tre
Attached Images

Last edited by akguanja; 07-07-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Tires Rubbing!

okay so now i got these crushers on the hot raceing beadlocks and my tires are rubbing the linkages like in the pictures below.... i tried putting shims infront of the plastic hex nut for the rims but then theres not enough axle sticking out to grab the nylon on the nylock nuts. grrr..

anyone have any other ideas? maybe some hex nuts for the rims that are a bit deeper to make the wheels a little further out from the axles? if i could find something like that i would be able to get some nylocks that have nylon closer down to the bottem of the nut.

sounds more complicated when i write it than it is. hope you guys understand...

- tre
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #10
RCC Addict

i am having the same problem with my hotracing beadlocks. i don't want to use wideners because it will widen it too much. i was thinking of trying wheely king axle shafts and then shiming them. i will let you know when i try it.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #11

If you put the nut on backwards so the nylon insert goes on first then it will hold fine but obviously using spacers will widen it slightly, ou may/may not want that.
josh_smaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

tell us how you like the traxxas servos.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Hits the Trail.

The traxxas servos are okay, i think i need something a bit stronger on the steering or maybe just a solid aervo arm not the saver...

i hit a trail today after work heres some pics. i put the bumper on to save the body untill i can make/.aqquire the new bumpers.

changes that HAVE to be made:

Tranny lift for sure. 4 link rear or different leafs maybe rc4wd leafs.

heres some trail shots.

- tre
Attached Images

Last edited by akguanja; 07-08-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguanja View Post
lol i dont think water based is going to do any good ;) i want something that will bond to this abs/ps very well and then a outer coat to make it kind of scratch resistant.

- tre
I dont think you dont know water based paints too well....These three were painted basically with water based paint .....Quite durable when they dry. Good luck.

chaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Default Starting Paint / Detail work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman View Post
I dont think you dont know water based paints too well....These three were painted basically with water based paint .....Quite durable when they dry. Good luck.
interesting i was under the assumption that watercolors would bleed or fade if i drove my truck under water alot and in the snow etc...

ah well either way i took a trip 60 miles and bought some specific paints from the hobby shop..
went with color masters dark red. got 4 coats done looks pretty good. did the underside of the body flat black to give it that realish look when pics get snapped from low-down.

i also messed with makeing a tow strap and bought some spray on rubberized truck bed liner for doing inside the bed of the truck.
later this week i will work on the headlights/detail painting ie door handles/grill/front window rubbers/etc etc...

heres a pic of the color what do you guys think?

- tre
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

That's a nice red! Looks sharp.
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks like you already got your paint taken care of. Krylon Fusion sticks very well to hardbodys. Truck looks good by the way.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #18

i seen that red flatbed toy around wasilla a few times.. really really nice truck..
alaskantraxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

thanks for the paint remarks guys.. now i find out i need transparent colors for the tail lights $!@# thought the lenses were colored...

alaskantraxxas - Thanks its starting to need some cleaning up and some work done it sat in a garage its whole life before i got ahold of it and put the bed/bumpers on it chopped the frame behind the rear leafs etc.

but it still needs some more work..... i drive it mostly around town every now & then.

- tre
Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Looking real good I like your 1.1 too!!!

Keep it up bro, it really is coming along nicely. Lovin' the wheels.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote