Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project "Clampy" 1.9" Scale Yota Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Hey Man- SWEET Job on your grill..!!Yes, it takes a STEADY hand, and ALOT of patience to pull this trick off, but the results DO speak for themselves..!!

Thank You much Neil, means alot coming from you, after seein' your Awesome work on your Toyota builds..!!!!

Ditto Back atcha! There's some great toyotas on this board at the moment.

Need a new build off me thinks??????
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankycrawler View Post
the grill looks awsome. it really makes it stand out from the rest of the youta rigs. what was the process of cutting out the slats in the grill?

Hey Thanks..!, Yes, I agree that its one more thing that will make this truck stand out from the other Yotas around..!! I removed the material from behind the grille slats by using my air grinder with a 1" - 80 grit disk. The biggest thing I had to keep watching was how high or low i was grinding, because the grille "squares" that hold the "slats" are only so big... The worst thing that could happen, is actually melting ALL the way thru the plastic, and then you'd have a hole in the front of the grille....( which would be visible) Again, alot of patience, and a steady hand is whats needed to get this job done..!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Ditto Back atcha! There's some great toyotas on this board at the moment.

Need a new build off me thinks??????

Thanks Brotha..!! Yeah, I also agree that there are quite a few Bad ASS Yotas around at the moment..!!! Build off huh..?? LOL WELL, you've already SEEN what I'm bringing to the table......
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Hey All, well I got more done on Clampy today.. ( seems i only get to work on him on weekends..!!) Anyways, today's task was to make a tranny plate for my R2.. Problem being that Clampy is getting a FULL interior, and I didn't exactly have alot of options SO.., I did the best i could, and did a TON of measuring, and came up with this...

Old vs. NEW

Basically, I had to lower the mounting plate enough so only the top of the tranny was coming into the actual interior, yet keep it high enough that it won't be dragging on the rocks... (For anyone who's ever tried to make a full interior truck, you knew what I went thru to make this work..!!)

Sittin' nice and low, yet plenty of ground clearance..!!!

Heres the beginning stages of the first piece of the actual floor pan...again, measure twice- cut once..!!!

And these will eventually find their way into the interior..!!!!, Clampy's gettin' there..SLOWLY but surely..

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 08-23-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #65
Sinking with the ship

Very nice work on that trans mount. I was combating the same issue last night with my flat bed... I think the next Yota I build I am going to go with a trans under the hood, to a TC which I can run down low under the interior.

Keep up the good work
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Very nice work on that trans mount. I was combating the same issue last night with my flat bed... I think the next Yota I build I am going to go with a trans under the hood, to a TC which I can run down low under the interior.

Keep up the good work

Thanks Mike, I thought of eveything I could for making the tranny plate ( even thought about placing the tranny under the hood to a TC) BUT something else is going there instead.... Your Flatbed Yota is coming along awesome too man..!! Keep up the great work on it also..!!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #67
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I thought of eveything I could for making the tranny plate ( even thought about placing the tranny under the hood to a TC) BUT something else is going there instead.... Your Flatbed Yota is coming along awesome too man..!! Keep up the great work on it also..!!
So is this gonna be a chevota? 383 stroker? destroked 372? Or you sticking with the 22r?
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
So is this gonna be a chevota? 383 stroker? destroked 372? Or you sticking with the 22r?

"Chevota" it is... Thought about the 22R, but for where this truck is headin' an Injected V8 is definitley going to be needed..!!!! - Gonna have to change the name of this build to "Clampy with a "Twist"..!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Wow, crazy nice build!!! Dude, you have some legendary skills!
Chadworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

damn nice work man! now im getting that hard body itch again. i might need to start collecting parts for another scaler.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #71
RCC Addict

Just wow, this is one of the nicest yotas ive seen, cant wait for more, have to go thru the same procedure as you just did with the tranny clearing the interior! great job!
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Thanks for the positive feedback guys..! Glad your liking how its turning out so far..!! Its been ALOT of fun building this one..!!!!

OK- today My goal was to build some sort of battery box....sounds easy enough right... well just keep in mind, that this trucks getting the full interior treatment ( no room for a battery there..) , and theres something "special" going on under the hood ( no room there either) and theres certianly NO room for a battery in the bed...wait...what bed..??

So again, after MUCH measuring, and checking how things were going to fit, heres what I came up with....

With the cab in place, this is literally the ONLY spot on the entire chassis I could get away with running a 6 cell pack.., It actually fits right underneath the dashboard top, and is a very snug fit..,( if it were off by even an 1/8th inch, It'd be a "NO-GO".., but It worked perfectly..whew!!!) Next step was "hiding" the totally visable battery, so I made a styrene "box" that covers it, and also acts as a firewall, and lower kickplate....

Once I got that done, the next step was to build a tranny cover,and also finish building the overall floorpan ( inside the truck) which proved harder than I first thought it would be, but in the end, it worked out pretty good..

Then after shaving down the bottom of the Recaro's, and making some seat mounts, in they went for a test fit...

THEN.., I started thinking about wheel and tire options on this truck..., because as of yet, RC4WD dosen't make the Walker Evans look-a-likes, but I still wanted to do something that would stand out, and make this truck look killer....Then I remembered seeing an old picture of Clampy ( when it still had the Rusty ass old bed on ) Check the front rim and wheel combo below....

I thought those would look SO BAD-ASS on this truck, so I ordered a set of Trail Dr. XL's, and Painted my MSD's rings Orange, and Presto..!!!

I REALLY LOVE the look of these wheels and tires, and It'll be a shame when all this "nice" shiney Orange paint gets scraped and scratched off, so I'd better enjoy them now, before It hits the trails for the first time..!!!!

Heres some Mock up shots, just so i could see exactly How Clampy's coming along, all put back together..!! Still got ALOT of interior detail work left, and haven't even begun the rear tube work yet, But so Far, I'm really liking how this rigs' turnin' out..!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Awesome, awesome, awesome. That's all I can say. It's looking like it will be a fitting tribute to Clampy.

Nice job on the battery box. I have to ask though... why not a 2 cell lipo? It would have been way easier to fit.
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinajeepxj View Post
Awesome, awesome, awesome. That's all I can say. It's looking like it will be a fitting tribute to Clampy.

Nice job on the battery box. I have to ask though... why not a 2 cell lipo? It would have been way easier to fit.

Hey, Thanks man- Yeah, your right, it would have been alot easier to fit a Lipo, BUT- If it was easy, everybody would be doin it..!! LOL ! No really, I've ALWAYS used 6 cell Packs ( yeah, I'm Old School), and I guess I just didn't think about the Lipos to be honest..! the NEXT Scaler will run Lipo's..!!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #75
RCC Addict

great work, cant wait to see the progress to come
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #76

Wow... just.......wow.

Awesome work so far man! VERY impressive! Can't wait to see the next installment!

-Jesse
jesse096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:

THEN.., I started thinking about wheel and tire options on this truck..., because as of yet, RC4WD dosen't make the Walker Evans look-a-likes, but I still wanted to do something that would stand out, and make this truck look killer....Then I remembered seeing an old picture of Clampy ( when it still had the Rusty ass old bed on ) Check the front rim and wheel combo below....

Heres some Mock up shots, just so i could see exactly How Clampy's coming along, all put back together..!! Still got ALOT of interior detail work left, and haven't even begun the rear tube work yet, But so Far, I'm really liking how this rigs' turnin' out..!!!!!!!

Sweet, nice job.
Quick observation i think you should add more fixings to the wheels fill in your spare holes.

Just a thought?
neil
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #78
Nope..

Totally bad ass. I could never do this level of detail. Well, I probably could get close, but not without killing someone from frustration in the process. Awesome awesome awesome truck.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Really looks amazing!!! With all the detail and work you are putting into this, just drive it cautiously!!!! It really is coming along mint dude, and I am sure everyone watching this build is eagerly awaiting the end result.

Great job!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Sweet, nice job.
Quick observation i think you should add more fixings to the wheels fill in your spare holes.

Just a thought?
neil
Hey Neil, Thanks - Honestly- I think I'm just going to leave the rims alone the way they are now.. I kinda like the way they look without all the extra bolts.. If I was going to make them exactly like the ones in the picture, I'd probably use some rc4wd Truescale beadlocks ( with the 12 hole beadlock trim ring..) I'm REALLY hoping Mike over at RC4WD will come out with a set of the 1.9" Walker Evans soon..... ( HINT, HINT Mike.., If your reading this..!!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
Totally bad ass. I could never do this level of detail. Well, I probably could get close, but not without killing someone from frustration in the process. Awesome awesome awesome truck.
Thanks Man..! Yeah, I honestly didn't PLAN of going quite this far when I originally started the build, but one thing leads to another, and etc, etc..etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Really looks amazing!!! With all the detail and work you are putting into this, just drive it cautiously!!!! It really is coming along mint dude, and I am sure everyone watching this build is eagerly awaiting the end result.

Great job!
Hey, Thanks Bro..!!! I am Planning on running this truck thru all the same stuff the rest of my rigs go thru.., but It'll just have to be a matter of picking my "lines" a little more careful... thats all.... Its always the FIRST Rollover that hurts most, after that, scratches just add character..!!!! .. PLUS, you know what they say......."Chicks DIG body Damage..!!"

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/130383-project-clampy-1-9-scale-yota-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
clampy ,, but only a 1/10 of the size - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:45 AM