Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Toyota Flat Bed "Atomic Toy"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #241
Pebble Pounder

What I got out of this is that all you do is build really sick scalers? Am i rite? Haha. Nice work, once again.
starvenamrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #242
Sinking with the ship

Been a long while... I finally stepped away from the 4runner (1:1) and picked back up on the RCs. I finished what I started on the rear fender wells

the truck sat like that for probably a month, until this week when I found the correct diamond plate at the LHS and finished them off

Dont mind the paint, I think the humidity affected the flat black, made it look chalky. Its been raining here for 2 weeks straight it is suppose to be 80 sunday so Ill get a lot of painting done

I plan to build some over the shock cut out, some sort of platform to clean it up. I also wanted to make a nice tool box and add a holder for some jerry cans and power tank.

I made this piece tonight, I am undecided as to what color it should be...I am thinking flat black, any thoughts? its either black or gray like the tube work

I finished modding the fly wheels brake rotors as well, PIA but well worth the look, especially since they have calipers

New grill as well, no more sh1tastic repop after market one...it fit like crap and the new one is so much nicer with the real corner light lenses

Lastly, what do you think of flat black on the bead lock rings? I LOVE the wheels but I think there is just to much bling...either black rings or the wheels get the black, opinions?

More to come this weekend, I plan on getting front inner fender wells made up.

thanks for looking
-Mike

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 06-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #243
Sinking with the ship

O yeah, forgot to ask...Where can I find something to make scale brake lines? I was think a paper clip would probably work but I don't think I can get the kinks out. I really only need something for the rear, the front is getting steal braided line
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #244
RCC Addict

you could get some piano wire from the lhs prob, mine has alot of diff sizes in 3ft sticks.
or you could try lowes or the depot for some type of pic hanging kit with small wire in it
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #245
Rock Crawler

lookin good dude id use .020 welding wire for a mig works out to 3/16 in 1/9th scale witch is about what the yotas are....
fishfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #246
Sinking with the ship

a small story...

So there is this bird that every morning sounds like it is crowing right at my window...this morning it woke me at 6 am so I snapped...ran down my stairs, headed towards to the basement headed down those stairs when a bird flys right into my chest as my 10 month old kitten is chasing it down. He grabs it and dives under the air hockey table and I cant get him out...so I am like "it is way to early for this crap"...grab my GUN (airsoft pistol ) and head out the front yard in my boxers, safety off ready to slay that f'n bird after spending 10 minutes sneaking around the yard the SOB is probably 100 feet out in a huge as tree in the woods no way that the air pistol is making it that far. So back to bed...when the alarm promptly went off roughly 45 minutes later. I had to drive my GF back to her house so she could go to work. Drop her off, hit 7-11 for a coffee, come home head into the basement and proceed to start vacuuming up feathers when the bird comes flying out from god knows where and crashes... get his ass out of the house and finished cleaning up...

Soooooo after all that, I have now been working on the Atomic Toy ALL DAY... I have lots to update on but for now ill leave you with these few pics...

Hope you guys like the brake lines so far Good call on the picture hanging wire Jeepcj578

more soon, have to get it back together for pictures.

-Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #247
RCC Addict

no prob man that looks great
i cant wait to get started rebuilding mine after seeing this thing.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #248
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Very nice detail work.....this truck is coming out awesome.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #249
Quarry Creeper

Very very nice.
Foxracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #250
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
Very nice detail work.....this truck is coming out awesome.
Jay
Thanks Jay,

Well GF just got here, so no more wrenching for tonight...I did however snap a couple of pics

Tail light plate is painted up, and I also installed some reverse lights

Here is the bed, fresh paint and I boxed the shock mount area in, I think it looks a lot cleaner now

I also made up the front inner fender wells, I sprayed the inner part of the fender well with a spray bed liner to give it some texture

Steal braided brake line in

More soon
Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #251
RCC Addict

Killer build!! Just wondering if you were gonna replace the wire ties on the leafs with metal clamps??
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #252
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Killer build!! Just wondering if you were gonna replace the wire ties on the leafs with metal clamps??
If I can find something to replace the zip ties with that resembles a real looking leaf pack clamp and is still functional then sure I would. You have any suggestions? Would look a hell of a lot better then zip ties. I am trying to find something better to hold the brake line to the shock as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #253
RCC Addict

I have a highlift roller I bought for my next project and was looking at the wire ties on it and was thinkin about fabin up some clamps outta the stainless metal strip found in some replacement wiper blades and using a short piece of copper wire for the rivet to hold it to the leaf. But it'll be later this year before I get to workin on the highlift though. For your shock maybe a thin piece of heat shrink in place of the wire tie, it would eliminate the unsightly/unscale wire tie end and still keep the brake line off the tire. That's some of my ideas, I'm sure some of the better scale fabbers here would come up with something better.

HTH,
Donnie
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #254
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
I have a highlift roller I bought for my next project and was looking at the wire ties on it and was thinkin about fabin up some clamps outta the stainless metal strip found in some replacement wiper blades and using a short piece of copper wire for the rivet to hold it to the leaf. But it'll be later this year before I get to workin on the highlift though. For your shock maybe a thin piece of heat shrink in place of the wire tie, it would eliminate the unsightly/unscale wire tie end and still keep the brake line off the tire. That's some of my ideas, I'm sure some of the better scale fabbers here would come up with something better.

HTH,
Donnie
I know exactly what wiper piece you are talking about, our toyota ones use them because they are refillable...that may work, now I just have to wait to replace a blade.

I small piece of heat shrink would look a lot better on that shock instead of the zip tie...good call as well.

Thanks for the input

-Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #255
Rock Stacker

you are a serious fabricator, and i am at loss for words on your truck. it is just freakin amazing to say the least.
j_dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #256
Sinking with the ship

I didnt get a chance to work on the Atomic Toy at all during this week...was suppose to work on it last night but had some stuff come up. Today, I found some time to get things rolling...here is the latest. I felt it was worth some out door shots. I took DonATVs advice and swapped heat shrink onto the brake lines, looks A LOT better. For anyone who thought they would try the metal bars from the wiper inserts to make the leaf spring clamps...dont waste your time, you cant make the bends tight enough and it brakes the bar...bummer.

Brake lines are all in

And I started on the exhaust system

Have to cap off the other outlet on the muffler

Exhaust comes down from the engine compartment, I made a plate in between the fender wells for radio equipment so I was able to have the exhaust and even an oil pan

yeah it has a drain plug too

could maybe pass for the real deal if it didnt have the holes in the doors...o well

Thanks for looking, should be running soon, gotta wire up lights and some other small details but its rounding that finished corner pretty quickly.

-Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #257
RCC Addict

Damn..........

Very nice attention to detail.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #258
RCC Addict

outstanding work. Very nicely done How hard will this rig get wheeled? It looks like it would give a hell of a performance.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #259
Custom Carbon Fiber

im deleting all my Toyota pictures I have for possible builds ...........

This thing is amazing ...... Great Job Mike.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #260

what are you using for the diamond plate
axialscorpioncr is offline   Reply With Quote