Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Toyota Flat Bed "Atomic Toy"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

haha that speaker grille is sweet! you are nuts man!
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

I need to do an interior on mine now. This is just too cool.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #103
Sinking with the ship

Here is todays progress... It sux that this stuff takes me so long, I am certainly not fast at making this stuff, but it is coming together nicely

Found an extra camaro interior again and stole the head light switch and modified some of the vents to use on top of the dash...there not perfect, should be perfectly round but I think its the thought that counts...

Also robbed the cigarette lighter as well

Made the CD player and scribed in the heater controls, there not exact but close enough

heater vents, are both done on the passenger side as well as the glove box knob.

Next up is to build the steering wheel column...

Thanks for looking
-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Your Dash is looking SWEET Mike..!! I hope you won't mind if I steal a few of your details and Idea's for Clampy's dash..!!! Geez - Quit settin the BAR so high man..!!!!! jk- Awesome work Bro, keep it up..!!!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #105
RCC Addict

That Bar has been raised so much in the past couple of months, Not that that's a bad thing

Nice work on the dash it's the little things that makes the difference between a good ride and a great one.

Yours being in the later category.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #106
Sinking with the ship

Ok time for an update.

Eddievedder just left a little while ago, he had his trail finder here and were diaging his glitching problem. We got it narrowed down to his am radio, so I set him up with a JR fm radio for now until he can get himself something better, this way next time he is off we can wheel instead of wrenching.

So back to the interior. I spent yesterday getting the final shapes of the dash done. I closed off the ends and spent roughly and hour and half making the bottom of the glove box, etching it into the styrene using a a dull #11 blade (tip from a scale 4x4 member). It was a long process the end result was awesome, the dash now curves downward like the real thing and has the full glove box door.

I body filled the seams, I think they look pretty good, will find out when I hit with some primer

Next up is the part I hate the most...the column... I hate making these... This one is made out of 7 pieces not including the key release, hazard switch and blinker/wiper/tilt controls I still have to add

I did this one different from my last couple, trying to make it look more realistic.

Thats it for now, back to sanding, gluing, cutting and more...

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #107
Sinking with the ship

Well the dash is nearing completion... I still need to finish the radio and do the light up gauges.

1st up the column

Then the dash

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #108
Rock Stacker

Keep the pics coming. Nice attention to detail. Just a question for you, did you consider doing offset shackles on the front so you could use the bruiser axles? I have them on my 1:1 CJ7 in the rear and they work great.
Kevin
JeepCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Nice touch painting part of the dash Body Colour
Might just borrow that idea if i may?

Did you make the steering wheel?
Or is it bought from somewhere? (clicky clicky linky linky)
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Mike that interior is sick! Great work and thanks for your help the other day. Next time I come by, we will definitely be wheelin' hopefully not wrenchin'

Thanks again dude!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #111
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrawler View Post
Keep the pics coming. Nice attention to detail. Just a question for you, did you consider doing offset shackles on the front so you could use the bruiser axles? I have them on my 1:1 CJ7 in the rear and they work great.
Kevin
Kevin,
I am not familiar with this offset shackle system? Do you have a link with info in pics? I would really like to run the yota axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Nice touch painting part of the dash Body Colour
Might just borrow that idea if i may?

Did you make the steering wheel?
Or is it bought from somewhere? (clicky clicky linky linky)
Yeah I painted the dash to match the 1:1, thats how it is done in the real thing. Looks pretty good.

The steering is just a wild willy steering wheel, I get the parts tree from Corey at RPPHobby.com. I just add the holes in it to make it look more real

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Mike that interior is sick! Great work and thanks for your help the other day. Next time I come by, we will definitely be wheelin' hopefully not wrenchin'

Thanks again dude!
Thanks Bob, if I keep up at this rate I may just have this thing done in time for when we go wheeling
Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Hey Mike- Your dash came out Killer man..!! I really like the extra styrene work on the lower portion, looks just like the real deal..! Also really like the way the column came out too man.. Great work..! What else do you have in store for the Flatbed..?
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #113
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Hey Mike- Your dash came out Killer man..!! I really like the extra styrene work on the lower portion, looks just like the real deal..! Also really like the way the column came out too man.. Great work..! What else do you have in store for the Flatbed..?
Thanks Chris, I am happy with the results so far. The extra styrene on the bottom of the dash was a pain but really gave it the true look that the 1:1 has.

After the interior is finish, which is always the most time consuming, its back to the metal work. I need to make a new front body mount, and either try to fix the front bumper or make a new one. Its a bit off and and looks like it was crashed sort of on the one end because the bends arent perfect. I like the style of this bumper so I may just cut it off, move it forward some, make sure its square and braze it back on and not worry about the other flaw. After that, I need to make shock mounts, make a spare tire carrier, mount the crushers on the new modded hummer wheels and just finish up some details . This truck was awesome as it was, I just had to scale it out my way.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #114
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Seeing all of your rigs in person, I know you are a bit of a perfectionist. When I was checking this one out you had pointed out the bent front bumper but I actually liked it and it gave the rig a little history from its original owner, plus its a good war wound from maybe a previous crash. Just my opinion, I thought it looked cool a bit deformed.

On the other hand, fixing it to your likings and then maybe crashing it yourself and bending it will give it a another war wound!

Anyway 2 things Mike:

1- Get this rig ready for some off roading. I am thinking a trip to Sag Harbor in two weeks, I may be able to swing the 13th or 14th of Sept. too

2- Change your location. Though there is still no rocks, there is a fellow crawler...
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #115
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Seeing all of your rigs in person, I know you are a bit of a perfectionist. When I was checking this one out you had pointed out the bent front bumper but I actually liked it and it gave the rig a little history from its original owner, plus its a good war wound from maybe a previous crash. Just my opinion, I thought it looked cool a bit deformed.

On the other hand, fixing it to your likings and then maybe crashing it yourself and bending it will give it a another war wound!

Anyway 2 things Mike:

1- Get this rig ready for some off roading. I am thinking a trip to Sag Harbor in two weeks, I may be able to swing the 13th or 14th of Sept. too

2- Change your location. Though there is still no rocks, there is a fellow crawler...
The front bumper actually doesnt bother me, what bothers me is that the front bumper bothers everyone else and they feel the need to tell me how its not perfect and thats what bugs me We will what happens, I may just say and run it as is.

two weeks sounds good to me, Maybe ill be able to get this done if I get a move on. This saturday I have a sweet 16 to go so that kills a whole day but I will see what I can do. Worst case scenario I wheel the k2-5 YJ and the shit brown yota clone

location is officially changed
Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #116
Rock Stacker

1badbruiser
Here is a link to the shackles I have on my 1:1 CJ. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...a563b4ec245812

If you have both sides of one pair of shackles facing the same direction the shckle will bolt to the chassis then come down and be offset to oneside and for the opposite side of the vehicle you would do the reverse. Does that make sense? I can get a pic of my CJ for you tomorrow if thats not clear. I was thinking you could put your shackles in a vise and make the 2 bends to get them off set and then you could throw the bruiser axles back under the rig. Now if you run the shackles where they come off the chassis and one side of each shackle faces the opposite direction thena wider spring could be used. Heres another link to better describe what I'm trying to say: http://www.speedtech-performance.com...cat/cat211.htm
HTH
Kevin
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

found a good pic:

Kevin
Old 09-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #118
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrawler View Post
found a good pic:

Kevin

Appreciate the Help Kevin, I am thinking of dishing out the 400$ and getting a set of the ultimate scale axles from rc4wd when they are back in stock, then I dont have to worry about modding the frame or making different shackles.

Anyways, time for an update. Been sick since tuesday and had a 102 fever yesterday, today I am finally starting to feel better. I was getting kind of burnt out on this interior, I knew I needed to step it up and do it right and it was going to take some work. Well this past weekend and today I finally got it to where I wanted it to be... Let me know what ya think

I modeled it after an SR5 cluster because I didnt want the monster tach blocking the gauges (its mounted to the column on the real truck) and I wanted it to still have a tach. The gauges are behind the "glass" in the dash and inside a bezel as well, just as if it were the real deal.

Because I know someone will point it out, YES the gas gauge is upside down I didnt really have a choice, its not that noticable anyways and other then the E and F being upside down its correctly done.

As you can see the floor board it glued up, I will be starting on the center consol shortly.

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

holy crap man, this think is awsome
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #120
Sinking with the ship

Center console is coming along nicely I think