Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hilux Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hilux Build

Well after drooling over so many nice hilux/bruiser builds, i decided it was time for my own. After searching endlessly for OG bruiser stuff, i came to the conlusion to just build a hilux kit and go from there. I've been building this thing for a month or so.

To start things off right, while putting it together i did the two most necessary mods. First the tranny lift, and second the body drop, or in my case, no body lift.

With the tranny mod, you need a shorter rear drive shaft. (I managed the front to work but the rear was way too long) So heres what i did.

Chopped pajero rear drive shaft (came off the pajero mobbed off the cliff at nats, thanks bob!!)
The pajero drive shaft has a set screw on one end.

I measured it up, chopped a pretty good chunk out, ground a flat spot, and here it is compared to the stock shaft.

I dig the old school style wheels it came with, so i painted them up.

Made some front/rear bumpers out of thick styrene. I know its not the toughest material but i dont plan on running it into walls 3rd gear.

Today i brazed up some rock sliders out of solid steel rod.

Got some driving time in with the new sliders, really dig them.

Had to post the two yota's together

I still cant decide what i want to do with the bed. Im leaning towards going canback style, with roll up windows on the side and rear. Hard to find pictures of 1:1's with decent can-back's.

Last edited by dirk379; 02-23-2009 at 12:22 PM.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #2

that's the stock chassis? Hows the three speed working for you? Trail docs look just right.

clint
Dirtgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Yep, stock chassis. 3-Speed is kind of top heavy but i like having multiple gears, so it does just fine for me.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Looks GREAT. Front bumper is a bit too chunky for me but those sliders are perfect and the rear bumper is killer too. That red really pops and the two Toyotas look great chillin together!

Great truck man!

EV
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I dig the simple basic yota builds. nice work. you may find the styrene bumpers last pretty well crawling but they will be prone to breakage. SebringMGB has styrene bumpers on his and once in a while a piece breaks off, then he reglues it, lol.

those are the trial doc xl's arent they?
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Hey pantablo, Sebring's build gave me alot of my inspiration, that guys work is incredible. Yes they are the XL's, soft compound. There is 3 compounds of softness and i got the hardest ones, love them. Couldn't imagine running them with an even softer compound.

Thanks EV, your build is pretty awesome as well i might add. I was kind of leaning towards the rc4wd kit but most the body parts were out of stock everywhere, so i saved myself the head ache and just went with the kit from tamiya. How are you liking the trex60's? The bumper doesnt look as "chunky" in person, but i agree it is on the thick side.

Last edited by dirk379; 09-13-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
support@rc4wd.com

Plain, simple, and sits really nice. Great looking truck
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!
The body height looks right.Plain looks good if its done right
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Thanks EV, your build is pretty awesome as well i might add. How are you liking the trex60's?

Thanks dude! I really like the axles. They seem very solid and a great quality product though I have not tested them real hard yet. I'll be wheelin with 1BJB and the "clone" today so we shall see how it holds up to the test. Ill post in my thread later on.

Have fun with your truck. Really does look great. Perfect ride height!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
~ Got PROPANE ? ~

Yota looks great....

Quick question for you.....how/where did you mount up your sliders on the body? What did u use to mount them with?

I'm currently bending up a set for mine out of 1/4" steel and I was thinking up different ways to mount them up to a body. I'm just going to weld my rod to either some 3/8" x 3/8" or some 1/2" x 1/2" angle.....and then go from there on mounting them up.
BiG_DaWgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_DaWgZ View Post
Yota looks great....

Quick question for you.....how/where did you mount up your sliders on the body? What did u use to mount them with?

I'm currently bending up a set for mine out of 1/4" steel and I was thinking up different ways to mount them up to a body. I'm just going to weld my rod to either some 3/8" x 3/8" or some 1/2" x 1/2" angle.....and then go from there on mounting them up.
I just wanted them simple so i just mounted them where the nerf bars mount. Here's a picture:

While the threads alive, here's the most recent pics:

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Absolutely bad ass .
INFERNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks great on the stock chassis, in most cases it looks like the truck has a 12 inch lift if you decide to use it.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Yup stock chassis/3speed. Not the most capable scale rig because it's so heavy, but still one of my favorites to drive.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
This pic looks real! Great work!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote