Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Rummy's Yota

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Rummy's Yota

Everyone else is building them so why not right? Nothing to outlandish here. Just want to build something that I can run in the 1.9 class and I'm really liking the yota builds out there. I'm pretty sure this will be a truggy with some tube work out back. We'll see when that time comes.

Started out with some basic mock up. Bruiser chassis with Bruiser axles that have been narrowed and modded for 12mm hexes.

Got some hummer wheels. All I had around were some outcroppers. I want XL trail docs but haven't pulled the trigger on the buy it now button yet.

Still need to detail out the rims.

Started playing around with a winch. I want to make one that has the motor directly attached to the spool and is all concealed like a real winch. I got in a motor with a gear reduction unit to start messing with. Works good so far. I got the wrong motor so it only has around 40oz of torque, the motor I'll be getting has 90oz at 6V. I'm running it on 2S lipo so it should have a little more.

Test setup

Then came tearing down the leafs and getting those modded. Did the chino mod, took out one leaf and drilled a hole through the remaining two. I want to do a U-bolt flip also.

I ended up drilling out the center of a stock U-bolt plate and then modified the head on a 3mm bolt to fit into the spring perch on the axle the keep the axle centered. I don't think I'll keep this stock U-bolt plate because the stock U-bolts are to long and look goofy. I'll be making up some new U-bolts with the correct length.

Here is the modded bolt head that fits into the spring perch. Was easy to do, chucked the bolt up in a drill and got out the dremel. Poor mans lathe :nice:

With any luck I'll have the body here today or tomorrow. I'm trying to get this running by saturday for the NOSTR comp.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Subscribed!! Looking good.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

nice start
slither302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

looks good nick, cant wait to see some more progress
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
1*

Looks good Nick. I use a 3mm button-head screw through the hole in the leafs. It rests perfectly in the plastic Bruiser leaf perches. Also, you really don't need the lock nut, once the screw is in the u bolt plate center hole it isn't going anywhere; the pressure of the u bolts' lock nuts will hold the leaf stationary.
rcr3fan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

should be good.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
should be good.
x2!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Lock nut is only on there to hold it in place at the moment. I wasn't sure how the final assembly would go but that nut holding it all together made it a lot easier to keep those leafs from fighting me

I'm having a guy make a prototype set of U-bolts and plates now that will get rid of the plastic bruiser spacer. The leaf will sit right on the perch and the plate will go right over the leaf and clamp it down with the U-bolts being flipped.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looks good nick
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Very smart, I like how you did the control for the winch. I'm looking forward to see what do on the body.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Great start, I want some locking hubs.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice un' Rummy!!!
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Got a used bruiser body from ebay. Came in today. Had to trim off the rear window because I didn't like the fit. Got the window mounted in with the interior that came with it. It needs some attention but no time for that right now.

I wish Coles would get that transfer case ready sooner

Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
Sinking with the ship

Looking good Nick, cant wait to see the flat bed you come up with
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I like it! Do you know how you're gonna do the bed yet. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

That winch is gonna be b@d @$$! You might have to make two of em.
...and you'll have a package in the mail soon
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I'm still undecided on the bed. I've seen a few trucks I really like but they cut the frame rails right behind the rear shackles and I'm not quit sure I want to go hacking on the bruiser frame. I just hope I can get it running.

After I get the transfer case for it I'll be dropping the floor board and working on the interior. I brought the frame in to work today and i'm hoping to fab up some kind of plastic transmission mount. Should be able to get some styrene on the back of the cab to close that in and I'll detail that out later. I gotta do some research and see what you did to get that rear window looking good Mike.

If I can get the balls to hack the rear frame at the shackles I think I'll go for something like this. I won't go this extreme on the cab though.

Last edited by NickRummy; 10-08-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Ok I got my prototype U-bolts and plates in. Turned out better than I expected! They're 2-56 thread.

Trimmed up. I'll try and use different nuts on the final version. This doesn't look to clean.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
MODERHATER™

Looking good!! Where did you find the material for the U bolts, or did you just thread and bend solid rod?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

It's solid rod with the ends threaded and then bent around a fixture. Time consuming for sure....

Tranny is mounted and jato shafts should work out nicely. Also mounted the steering servo. Winch servo will go next to it for the time being until I get the unit on the bumper working correctly.

This is where i like the body on the frame. A little low for tire clearance but should work well for now. I'll just use some lift blocks to get the height. I don't think the drive line angles should be to bad.

Mandatory flex shot. Not bad for not having any weight on it really.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Body mount heat bent out of 1/8" ABS

Body mounted

Think i'm going to try and mod some mini t shocks. They seem like they could look nice?