Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Lmc F-150

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Lmc F-150

I started on this a while ago but the progress has been really slow. I wanted something a bit different and have been waiting on a narrow high clearance axle to hit the market, needless to say, Losi's newest crawler fit the bill. Just your basic scaler I suppose, hard body, steel ladder frame and of course, leaf springs. The body will either be an original Blackfoot or a Blackfoot Extreme body.

Bruiser/Highlift leaves are too long so I sourced some Tamiya semi springs which are considerably shorter and are perfect in my opinion. I then made a steel C-channel frame using 22 gauge sheet steel and tried a new for me way to make the bends. Just made several cuts, bent and brazed back together. Not sure how strong it will be but we will see.

Here's the frame mocked up with springs on axles. Next step is to make some perches for the springs to attach to the axles.

chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Im Brandon

Looks good Dean. What about a shot with the body on there!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

nice axle guides you have. I guess you build lots of trucks, lol. mine don't have all the wb marked off in 1/4" increments, lol...

I would love to put those axles under my blackfoot...if you can find an og blackfoot that would be my suggestion! Based on your previous builds this will surely be a great one! Looking forward to more...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
nice axle guides you have. I guess you build lots of trucks, lol. mine don't have all the wb marked off in 1/4" increments, lol...

I would love to put those axles under my blackfoot...if you can find an og blackfoot that would be my suggestion! Based on your previous builds this will surely be a great one! Looking forward to more...

Thanks Pantablo! I have both bodies and am leaning towards the OG Blackfoot. Might have to do both.

P.S. Hows the Hilux 4-door doing? I'd like to get down to Socal again to do some crawling. You guys have some great spots!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

nice, dean

I really like the chassis brace/rock slider
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

damn bro, another great build for me to watch!! i was leaning toward a blackfoot extreme body for my daughters losi crawler that i am building up. forgot that the semi springs are shorter. oh well, i will stick to the 4 link on her rig.

keeping an eye on this one also
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Thanks Pantablo! I have both bodies and am leaning towards the OG Blackfoot. Might have to do both.

P.S. Hows the Hilux 4-door doing? I'd like to get down to Socal again to do some crawling. You guys have some great spots!
Hilux rocks now that I have the brat 1.7 wheels on it. I stripped the TLT diff and bevel gear already though, lol...should have that replaced by the weekend as we have another gtg this sunday at Vasquez Rocks again.
It would be great to run with you! Difuser is coming down from washington to be with family and we're going to run nov 23rd at vasquez too...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

nice smooth lookin chassis, i see so many with huge humps like mountains. ridonkulous. looks like its going to perform well with the nice shackle angles.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Oppan Gangnam Style

Well, I got a bit more done today. Spring mounts done but unfortunately they are white. Oh well, the 12"x12"x.5" sheet of HDPE only cost 4 bucks. I wanted black Delrin but TAP Plastics only had large sheets of it.

Anyways, on to the pics of what I have so far.

Here are the spring mounts. Kinda big but I didn't want them breaking from abuse.

Here is how they mount, retained by the stock hardware and link mounts.

Underside of the axle. We will see if the rear portion hangs me up. I don't think it will as it is level with the bottom of the axle tube. If it does, I'll just trim it a bit.

Standing on it's own.

Body in position and ready to be mounted. The body will be lower than it sits currently but I'm sure it will still be quite top heavy.

Flex was dismal before I worked the springs over (1/4"). After breaking in the springs for awhile and modding the eyes, it now has about 2 1/4"under a tire. BTW, the tires tuck quite well into the fenders too!

I hacked off the bumper to move the body back some in order to gain some tire clearance. It will be reattached to the frame instead with an aluminum bracket for support. Hopefully I will have it driveable by the weekend.

Last edited by chino63; 11-05-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Sinking with the ship

That looks great Dean, those leaf spring mounts are the killer
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

looks nice. just makes me want a MRC more
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Am I seeing things or did you notch the chassis to get those bends and then braze them to fill in the cuts? If so, is that going to be strong enough? If not, why does your chassis look like that?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Am I seeing things or did you notch the chassis to get those bends and then braze them to fill in the cuts? If so, is that going to be strong enough? If not, why does your chassis look like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I then made a steel C-channel frame using 22 gauge sheet steel and tried a new for me way to make the bends. Just made several cuts, bent and brazed back together. Not sure how strong it will be but we will see.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Yup, just wanted to see if it would be strong enough, let's just say it's a little experiment. Easy enough to make a new one if necessary.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
That looks great Dean, those leaf spring mounts are the killer

Thanks Mike, this one should be fun to drive.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome, makes me regret selling my og blackfoot body.:-(

-Clint
badBKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Ok, I guess I couldn't read very well. I will be waiting to hear about the strength. I have been thinking about trying this for a while.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #18
Oppan Gangnam Style

Since I wanted to get this going for the weekends trip to Folsom Lake, I didn't have time to put shocks on but they will be added later. Can't wait to give it a proper thrashing!

Here are some progress pics.

Got the body mounts all sorted out.

Servo mounted and steering all sorted out.

Here is the chassis all ready to go (minus shocks).

Red Losi wheels?

Muddy 1.7's?

Or OG stockers?

Last thing, I did was cut the lower part of the tailgate where the bumper attaches and made a skid plate out of some scrap diamond plate. This should help keep the tail gate from hanging me up.

Last edited by chino63; 11-07-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

that looks great!
The 1.7's look better than the red losi wheels. I like the 5 spoke, but think the OG wheels painted gloss black would also look good. Either way you should reduce some better tires ang get them on those wheels...

like trail docs. these are reduced to 1.5 and stretched over 1.7 wheel making them look fatter.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
Oppan Gangnam Style

Thanks for the idea on the Trail Doctors. Are they the XL's or the regular ones? I might reduce some tires but I want to see how the Sand Blaster 915's work. They are the original ones not the rock hard re-release ones.