Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hi-Lift Transmission Lift....need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hi-Lift Transmission Lift....Done with pics added 11-30-08

I looked around and didn't see this posted already, so here goes: I love wheeling my Hi-Lift but I hate how it always gets hung up and high centered. So my idea is to raise the transmission about an inch similar to what we do on our 1:1 rigs for a flat belly. Here are some preliminary pics with a cardboard mock up mount. It's gets close to the windshield, but it will be ok. I still have some room for drive shaft movement too. If you can think of anything I am leaving out please let me know. Also, if you know of anyone who has done this (I know there is someone out there) let me know so I can steal ideas. Thanks guys

With body almost touching trans:

Showing that I have long enough shafts.......he he he

Just another random pic:

Last edited by BladeMech; 11-30-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Changed title and added pics
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks good, i wonder if you could rotate the axles w/ a spacer to change the pinion angle......so it wouldnt be so sharp
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztitan View Post
looks good, i wonder if you could rotate the axles w/ a spacer to change the pinion angle......so it wouldnt be so sharp
I think the rear will take care of itself due to torque flex, but your probably right that I will have to address the front. I'll prolly do a shackle reverseal while I'm at it. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Great idea !!! - The clearance isn't bad as it sits but everything can be made better. I'll be watching your project for sure.

I can't see going so high tho - on my HL - the engine nearly hits the window as it sits. Are you moving the trannie back any?

The angle of the drive shafts look like they might pose a wearing issue - or make for a difficult power transfer from your profile pic. I'm sure there's some sort of driveshaft out there that will allow such an angle but I'm not aware of any to speak of.

On my project truck - I had to notch the frame in the rear to accept an internal shock mount (Petaluma F350 Build High Lift). It's still hella strong at the notched spot and might work at the trannie area too. I'm wondering if notching the frame and sitting the trannie up about a 1/2 inch (or 3/4") up would work better in the "long run" instead of a full inch. Just an idea..

Of course- with the project truck I have in progress now - I can't fit the trannie in the cab area because of the MFC-02 unit - However....

There's always project #2 F350.
FodigoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Transmission lifts are a must on the f-350 based kits because it is super easy to do. I did it on my hilux and used 4RUNN1's method on scale4x4rc.org The only thing you need is a longer rear driveshaft, well at least for me i did, here's what i did in my build:
Hilux Build

Here's the link to 4RUNN1's tranny lift:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...t=19546&page=2

Last edited by dirk379; 11-30-2008 at 03:40 PM.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ok, the lift is done. Here are some pics with some of the little hassles that I had to deal with. All in all, it was well worth it. I only wish I had done it sooner. Now, on to the pics:

Here is a pic of the shift servo that i had to flip and also the part of the mount I had to remove. The mount is still very strong and does not flex at all:

Here is the actual mount and a sneak peak of the body mount. I made it out of sheets of plastic from my LHS:

Here is a pic of the passenger's side. When I made the trans mount I forgot the steering servo mounts on the same side. I would have spent more time on designing this side had I remembered, but it works fine:

Here is a pic that shows the simplicity of my body mount. Sometimes simpler is better:

Here is a pic of everything back together. I gained a little over an inch all together:

Here are a couple action shots of the complete F-350 on my test course in my basement. The F-350 used to really struggle and rarely ever made it all the way. Now, with some carefull attention to tire placement I go all the way, yee haw:

Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Dude- that's some nice work. Can't wait to try it (tee hee).
FodigoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #8

for the drive shaft angles ... the plastic mounts that hold the leaf .. well theres an alternative set in the kit (dont know which bag) .. but it kicks the drive shaft up so the anges arent so steep
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
RCC Addict

not my idea i saw it some were and copyed it, just a tranny clock 90 degrees , that way your bottom gets lifted a little and your motor wont sit so high heres some pics of mine when i was using the stock tranny

ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ive done the same,works well to.Just have to watch your driveshaft angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
not my idea i saw it some were and copyed it, just a tranny clock 90 degrees , that way your bottom gets lifted a little and your motor wont sit so high heres some pics of mine when i was using the stock tranny

vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #11

i used a tmaxx tranny.. it needed a little modification but it has given me maximum ground clearance and you dont need to change the driveshafts
jmfrdcapri is offline   Reply With Quote