Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #461
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Well sorry metal masher if I offended you. I didn't mean to get under your skin with my comments. I was just simply stating that with the work you have involved in it, Maybe using injected molded plastic within the body shell or even a foam substitute may help in causing less damage and give it more realistic dents since the material is so thin. Just like real trucks also have other means of support besides bracing.

For now on I will just watch and enjoy the craftsmanship and keep my comments to myself.
asshole
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #462
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
asshole
well that's productive........
hope that was a joke or that was just stupid.........
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #463
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
You obviously don't know Ricky.

As to the build...

Just when I thought that there couldn't be any more detail added...that you have it all, you find something else to amaze me with!

I can't wait to see this finished and the video of it's first run.

BTW, you might want to post the link to the vids of your scale comp rig so people can see the damage you're talking about. This one should probably be even more solid with considerably more bracing.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #464
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
It;s a joke Team3six will laugh. It's productive too. Ever look through the eyes of an asshole, they kind of have tunnel vision. Just trying to get him to see better. He's trying to get better and I'm trying to help him.

But back to the thread. I love these metal bodys , I want to use one in my next scaler build. I've been following this thread and I can't wait to see some dents on this rig. This is as true to a scale body as a guy can get.

Metal Masher , your my hero.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 11-23-2010 at 07:40 AM.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #465
Quarry Creeper

Team3six don't ever not comment with out comments we do not know exactly how we are doing. With out comments we may over look something that you have seen thats to be or not to be done. Any how I went back and dug this up I do not know how he tested this piece but it looks to have held up pretty good. this was on page 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Then, just to make everyone cringe, I did some destructive testing on the door to see how the seams held up

[IMG
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/crash076/scale%20truck/DSCN0157.jpg[/IMG]

Held up real well to simulated normal trail damage. Then i went that extra step to see just what it took to split the seam

Not bad for a seam without glue!

That's all for now but there it more to come!
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #466
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post

Worked out much better then expected.

Next i'll add threaded inserts for the hinges and the bar in the front for the hood latch.

It may not seem like much but the supports alone took almost 11 hours to make.
This is the sickest scale build ever.

As you've refined your methods over the past year and gotten deeper into this project, you've almost taken things to the point where you are literally reproducing a Toyota pickup in 1:10th scale. It's almost starting to approach museum quality, the kind of stuff you display behind glass. I kinda have to agree with 3six, it would be hard for me to bring myself to really run it hard. When it got dented or scratched I know I'd feel like crap.

I want to see it wearing some primer. The first shot of primer always shows you what you've really got...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #467
Pebble Pounder

If anyone wants to go back and look at the first few panels, and then look at the last few, you'll probably see quite a difference (like I do). The most recent ones are amazing: smooth, detailed, and crisp. I'm not saying that the first few aren't good, but I think it's clear to see what Masher's learned in doing this body. I'll bet that if he goes back and builds a new rear fender or door skin, it'll be night and day how much better it looks this time around.

In short, if you think this one's amazing (and it is), I bet the next one will take your head clean off your shoulders. Once he gets two or three under his belt, he's going to have such a perfect set of molds and a perfect technique developed, this one will look about as primitive as a folded tin toy.

I'd still have a hard time bashing on this body, though...
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #468
Rock Crawler

btw, for those that havnt seen this, here is his old 2.2 comp truck turned scale with metal panels too. yes the comp truck has a tube frame to help with strength but the panels are only a single skin and they look to have held up pretty well to the first beating.
old comp truck turned scale truck
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #469
I wanna be Dave

i might hit you up on on a clod body if/when you might have the time, pm sent metal....

here's a link to McMaster that has some steel shim stock you want for the rust effect in thickness down to .001", not sure what thickness you need to work steel like you do the .005 alum you use now....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=9ufm9z

i've read long threads like this where guys are stating "i've read all 16 pages" and looked up and i'm only on page 8....does everyone know they can set there threads/posts to a page to a max of 40 and cut the pages in half in those threads ........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #470
Rock Stacker

all you need now is real breakable windows!
grant00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #471
Pebble Pounder

i would love to build something like this, but i would also hate to destroy it, but then again he built it to get played with. that would be fun to rock rash it.. either way this is a awesome build cant wait to see more
adawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #472
Rock Stacker

wow.... ur work and patience is truly amazing. cant wait to see the final result
fallensk8man89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #473
Quarry Creeper

24 pages and 6 pages on the other thread. kinda hate to ask this but are you building and interior also? be a shame to cover all that work inside thecab up with carpet and such, my destructive side kinda wants to see this crash just once. just to see if the damage is scale also.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #474
Rock Crawler

I have seen him run his metal bodies....there is no holding back or careful plotting to avoid possible damage. The rigs he builds run and flex as killer as they look. Make no mistake, he will do what needs to be done to see his trucks make a line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mIC9xKvLA

I am sure that he has enough panels in the "junk yard" to keep it looking like any 79 toyota that is still on the road today.

True skill like this is an exercise of the minds eye, like any famous artist in history, he has shown us what we are capable of doing when we focus that eye.

my hat is off to you sir...
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #475

I started building my tube-cab 40 ford pickup today, and was pretty happy with it, until I found this thread....

so now, all I can come up with is this:
silleywilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #476
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
You obviously don't know Ricky.

As to the build...

Just when I thought that there couldn't be any more detail added...that you have it all, you find something else to amaze me with!

I can't wait to see this finished and the video of it's first run.

BTW, you might want to post the link to the vids of your scale comp rig so people can see the damage you're talking about. This one should probably be even more solid with considerably more bracing.
Thanks! I did post some in the vid section. back yard wheelin w/body damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
It;s a joke Team3six will laugh. It's productive too. Ever look through the eyes of an asshole, they kind of have tunnel vision. Just trying to get him to see better. He's trying to get better and I'm trying to help him.

But back to the thread. I love these metal bodys , I want to use one in my next scaler build. I've been following this thread and I can't wait to see some dents on this rig. This is as true to a scale body as a guy can get.

Metal Masher , your my hero.
I wasn't trying to be mean either, just hoping to show my point of view.

What body are you thinking about using? I'd love to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
Team3six don't ever not comment with out comments we do not know exactly how we are doing. With out comments we may over look something that you have seen thats to be or not to be done. Any how I went back and dug this up I do not know how he tested this piece but it looks to have held up pretty good. this was on page 14.
That was tested by holding it in my hand and smacking it on a rock. It took some considerable effort to get it like that too. the inner door skin is the secret to it's strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
This is the sickest scale build ever.

As you've refined your methods over the past year and gotten deeper into this project, you've almost taken things to the point where you are literally reproducing a Toyota pickup in 1:10th scale. It's almost starting to approach museum quality, the kind of stuff you display behind glass. I kinda have to agree with 3six, it would be hard for me to bring myself to really run it hard. When it got dented or scratched I know I'd feel like crap.

I want to see it wearing some primer. The first shot of primer always shows you what you've really got...
Well my approach to things almost dictates the accuracy. in my minds eye the only way to achieve true realism is to completely replicate every aspect of the body on scale. the hood is a good example, the real hood is made of 5 pieces so of course mine had to be the same. I didn't need to make it that way but as far as I'm concerned it was the only way.

And yes i'm dying to get it in primer too. The reflection makes it hard to really see the details.

My dad keeps saying i should put this in a museum as well. I don't believe this one is museum quality but maybe the next one will. either way i'll still wreck it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly duck View Post
If anyone wants to go back and look at the first few panels, and then look at the last few, you'll probably see quite a difference (like I do). The most recent ones are amazing: smooth, detailed, and crisp. I'm not saying that the first few aren't good, but I think it's clear to see what Masher's learned in doing this body. I'll bet that if he goes back and builds a new rear fender or door skin, it'll be night and day how much better it looks this time around.

In short, if you think this one's amazing (and it is), I bet the next one will take your head clean off your shoulders. Once he gets two or three under his belt, he's going to have such a perfect set of molds and a perfect technique developed, this one will look about as primitive as a folded tin toy.

I'd still have a hard time bashing on this body, though...
Thank you very much. actually all the panels have been re-made at least once before the truck got assembled. I did not use a single one of the panels in the original pic in the completed body you see so yes i have gotten better at the molding process and hopefully, in time, i will get that "perfect" body that i won't want to wreck up.....much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae racer View Post
btw, for those that havnt seen this, here is his old 2.2 comp truck turned scale with metal panels too. yes the comp truck has a tube frame to help with strength but the panels are only a single skin and they look to have held up pretty well to the first beating.
old comp truck turned scale truck
Thanks for posting that. yah that body is holding up pretty well. the best part is i can easily re-shape them after i wreck it and proceed to wreck it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i might hit you up on on a clod body if/when you might have the time, pm sent metal....

here's a link to McMaster that has some steel shim stock you want for the rust effect in thickness down to .001", not sure what thickness you need to work steel like you do the .005 alum you use now....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=9ufm9z

i've read long threads like this where guys are stating "i've read all 16 pages" and looked up and i'm only on page 8....does everyone know they can set there threads/posts to a page to a max of 40 and cut the pages in half in those threads ........bob

Thanks bob, you got a PM.

Yes i have seen the shim stock. someone on here actually used some in a Winnebago build some time back. I can't find the thread now. I want to expariment with the steel at some point after i get a few bodies under my belt with the aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant00 View Post
all you need now is real breakable windows!
Already working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg69 View Post
i would love to build something like this, but i would also hate to destroy it, but then again he built it to get played with. that would be fun to rock rash it.. either way this is a awesome build cant wait to see more
You get the idea, I don't plan on "destroying" it, at least not right away. I'm going to treat it like i would a real daily driver and take it easy at first and build up to tougher trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
24 pages and 6 pages on the other thread. kinda hate to ask this but are you building and interior also? be a shame to cover all that work inside thecab up with carpet and such, my destructive side kinda wants to see this crash just once. just to see if the damage is scale also.
It won't have a interior per say, but it will have seats, dash, shifters etc. Stripped down like i would if i had a real one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
I have seen him run his metal bodies....there is no holding back or careful plotting to avoid possible damage. The rigs he builds run and flex as killer as they look. Make no mistake, he will do what needs to be done to see his trucks make a line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mIC9xKvLA

I am sure that he has enough panels in the "junk yard" to keep it looking like any 79 toyota that is still on the road today.

True skill like this is an exercise of the minds eye, like any famous artist in history, he has shown us what we are capable of doing when we focus that eye.

my hat is off to you sir...
Thanks man! Yes i don't try real hard to save the body. Especially the truck in the vid. i will take it easy on this one at first but who knows where that will lead

and yes there will be a nice supply of junk yard parts to keep it road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silleywilley View Post
I started building my tube-cab 40 ford pickup today, and was pretty happy with it, until I found this thread....

so now, all I can come up with is this:
Aw come on, you should be happy with what you build. if you make it with you're own two hands that's all that matters.

Funny pic though! LOL!

Thanks again guys for helping to show my point of view. Again i don't want anyone to withhold there opinions, they just need to understand that others have opinions as well.

ok on to more progress.

I got the hood mounted

Started with the skin off an old VCR and cut out some hinges and mounts.

Pinned them together and made some threaded plates

then mounted them to the hood support and firewall to test the fit

satisfied, i fastened the supports to the skin by folding the edges over.

and mounted it up

here are the hinges

they go through the firewall into the cowl just like the real ones but i had to make the holes big as i trimmed things to fit. I'll cover the rest of the opening later

one more with the hood down.

More later
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #477
Rock Crawler

Hell yeah man that came out nice

O wait you already know that
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #478

I just spent the last hour reading all 24 pages, and all I have to saw is WOW. I'm at a loss for words. This has to be the ultimate scale build, period. It truly is a 1:10 replica of the real thing. I've seen your vids onpanel forming, and it seems to me that the moldmaking is the most difficult part. I've worked with this aluminum before (I've build 1/25 model cars for years, and used similar methods to replicate crash damage), and getting the mold right always seems to give me the most trouble. I have the same resin casting kit as well and I must say, your first go-around was better than mine.

P.S. I don't think there's a 1:1 80's Toyota left in PA that's as clean as this one.
Casey429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #479

Man this thing is truely amazing!!! and as far as some of the will it hold up comments i've read i say don't worry about it what is a trail rig with out dents and as for me i would love to get my hands on a body like this because even though i'm just about to start my first scale build i'm already tryin to figure out how to dent a plastic body and make it look real...way to go man and let us know if you ever start sellin them
jfergz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #480
Rock Stacker

There are just no words in any language to describe this incredible project. Just phenomenal... Thanks for making my existence in the RC world that much more useless. WOW!!!
thkov is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/147988-project-true-scale-aluminum-toyota-body.html
Posted By For Type Date
Кузова,все о них и для них - Страница 5 This thread Refback 10-05-2011 08:25 PM
Wow, Amazing Scale RC Toyota - Tacoma World Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:14 PM