Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #661
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

Your talents are beyond comprehension along with your patience and ethics. I've spent the last 3 days reading all 34 pages.

You should be proud as HELL, at over a quater of a million views, one hell of a job.

Now going to read this one. Class 1 Scout.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #662

I know you made this awesome rig to use but it honestly makes me cringe to see the dents in it after all the work you've put into it awesome job and happy building
chryslerman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #663

WOW this thing as amazing all the time and details put into this I would be afraid to take it out on the trail lol
jdmerrill1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #664
Rock Crawler

Flat out awesome scale detail to a degree never seen before. Maybe this 'Yota needs some crash protection...tubing on the bash points. It's really too nice to beat up in one run. Love it.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #665
RCC Addict

Thanks guys for the kind words. i commend those that read the whole thing and especially the ones that keep following as the truck nears completion even when it can be years between updates. I am going to be working in it again soon so keep looking for updates in the next couple months

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslerman78 View Post
I know you made this awesome rig to use but it honestly makes me cringe to see the dents in it after all the work you've put into it awesome job and happy building
I hear that all the time but that is the reason i built it. besides i can build more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
Flat out awesome scale detail to a degree never seen before. Maybe this 'Yota needs some crash protection...tubing on the bash points. It's really too nice to beat up in one run. Love it.
i have body protection on some of my other builds. the intent with this one was to build it as someone would do on a budget. i know in real life i could not afford sliders let alone an exo cage and since i would consider it a "beater" the body damage is just a badge of honor! also it has many more then one run on it and i don't consider it "beat up" at all. you just need to know how to drive it to keep it in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3 Zook View Post
Every time this pops up I have to check it out again,and again,and again...
Love it.
I believe he has made several,so he probably has a shelf queen around
somewhere.
Actually this is the first and only one built to this detail right now. i have built several others that are skins over an internal cage, like my class 2 Toyota, but none of them are shelf queens. in fact i currently have only one body without dents and scratches and that is because it's not mounted on anything
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #666
Pebble Pounder

My favorite yota build ever, that thing is badass. Alsome job man. Im glad to see you use it . Thats what makes it fun. No fun to just look at it, what good is that?? All my rigs gets used hard and yes they get scratched and bruised but thats what its all about. Alsome build man, keep it up,
fried daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #667
Rock Crawler

No matter how many times I read your builds I'm always in a mind blown state after. Your give a true meaning to CUSTOM built. I'd love to get my hands on one of the bodies you've made. Keep up the killer work man!
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #668

This is amazing! Got me inspired to make an Ali body for the scx10 kit I just had delivered, might be ambitious as this will be my first hobby grade rc and I have no model to build molds from! Just wanted to know if you have to anneal aluminium baking trays to do this and if so how do you go about it? Do you need to quench it? Thanks and keep up the amazing work!
Sherman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #669
RCC Addict

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman109 View Post
This is amazing! Got me inspired to make an Ali body for the scx10 kit I just had delivered, might be ambitious as this will be my first hobby grade rc and I have no model to build molds from! Just wanted to know if you have to anneal aluminium baking trays to do this and if so how do you go about it? Do you need to quench it? Thanks and keep up the amazing work!
I'm glad I could inspire. when I was using baking sheets yes I had to anneal them. all I did was hold them up in the air and slowly go back and forth with a medium sized torch with a wide flame. It starts to warp as you do it which is fine and you know it's done when it goed from a "ting" to a "thud" when you tap it. you don't want to quench it as that adds temper back into the metal. you want to let it cool slowly.

time to dig another thread back up. if you are following along, yes this is car #4 I decided to work on just weeks before the ECSC 15!
I'm bound and determined to get this truck done!!! it does not neet to be completely finished for the ECSC but there are a few thing that I want to accomplish namely a grill, lights and a decent seat.

Before I start that I had one thing that I added which was chrome lug nuts but I forgot to order the socket for them so I decided to make my own.
first I found an old allen wrench the same size.

next I took a thick piece of aluminum and drilled a hole

next I drove the allen wrench through the hole

now I have the socket shape

it fits really good

next I cut it down to size

and finally glued another allen wrench to one side

it worked perfect!

now I finally have a scale looking wheel

before I can strip the body down I needed to take care of some damage. the last time I had the truck to one of our local events some must have picked it up to look at it and damaged the rear quarter. I know it didn't come from me as I didn't drive it that day.

but after a few minutes I had it looking pretty good

Now it is time to strip the body down so I can start working on it.
the hood and front fenders were already off so next came the doors

I noticed that the cowl side panel was starting to bend. I may need to reinforce that when I make the next body

next the bed came off

lastly the seat

Now I have a clean slate to work with
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #670
RCC Addict

Truly amazing man every time I see this it makes me want to buy some disposable pans lol
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #671
Quarry Creeper

Love your bodies you have an unbelievable talent for taking scale realism to a whole new level
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #672

You do a amazing job! You should make a tutorial on YouTube on how to make it the way you do, I tried making one but im not doing it right lol
littledoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #673
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. if I had time to make a tutorial about how I built this truck I would but it's not possible right now.

well I was hoping to have this ready for the East Coast Scale Challenge this year but it was not to be. But I have recently gotten some motivation to work in it.

I've wanted to properly mount my grill for some time now. For those that may not remember, I made copies of the original kit grill and decided to cut it down to 3 pieces like the real 1:1 grill.

It ended up being a much longer process then I expected but here is how I made it attach to the body.

I began by mocking the grill in place

You can see that I had made provisions in the radiator support that match up with the inside profile of the grill.

I also wanted to make sure the hole for the head light aligned with the opening and it seems to be ok.

Now came the fun part. I originally was planning on grinding the back of the grill away to expose the slots. I do this on my class 2 truck and it works pretty well. Unfortunately in this situation I cant for 2 reasons. One, I need to maintain the thickness to reach the mounts and two I plan on making another mold that is open top so I need the back flat in order to make a complete part. So my only other option was to cut the slots by hand.

This began with drilling a series of holes.

Then cutting through the holes from the back

And finally filing out the slot to shape

2 hours later I had what I was looking foralmost. I wanted to leave tabs in each section to mount the grill but got a bit overzealous and cut away the first one on the left.

No matter. Ill take care of that later

These tabs though, are just big enough to hold an 0-80 size screw.

I was hoping the head would be small enough t fit inside the grill opening but it was just a hair to large. So I got a drill the size of the head and cut some relief for the screw

That was a bit nerve racking because just a little too much pressure and the bit would go all the way through and I would need to fill it in and drill again. Luckily the all worked out fine.

Now, to mount it to the radiator support, I first punched a cone shaped hole

Then ran an 0-80 tap into it (yes I found an 0-80 tap, yes its tiny and dont ask how much it cost!)

It worked out real nice.

Here it is with the ends mocked up in place.

Once I start driving it again Itll probably look like this before too long

That's enough for tonight.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #674
I wanna be Dave

You are a true metal master. I would love to get say 4 of your doors and 2 sets of fenders. If at all possible shoot me a pm please!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #675
Rock Stacker

Great body skills for sure!
Scotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #676
Pebble Pounder

Correct me if i am wrong here, but a 0-80 screw is about the size of fly shit right?

That hood latch is killer.
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #677
Pebble Pounder

Have you tried using the "fly shit" screws to tap their own holes in that thin metal? Not sure if they would strip in softer aluminum or not if you use an undersized hole..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #678
RCC Addict

Jaw dropping. You sir are the master.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #679
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJeep View Post
Correct me if i am wrong here, but a 0-80 screw is about the size of fly shit right?

That hood latch is killer.
Yep! Pretty much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penneyma79 View Post
Have you tried using the "fly shit" screws to tap their own holes in that thin metal? Not sure if they would strip in softer aluminum or not if you use an undersized hole..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I guess you could but did you ever try to hold on to a screw the size of fly shit and force it into a hole that was not prethreaded? Yah, i'll stick with the tap

Now to finish this grill

the next step is brackets to hold the rest of the center grill. I did this by using heavier material but bent, punched and tapped in the same manner.

To hold the center I flattened one leg and mounted it to the grill

Next the spot was cleaned up a bit to help the glue bond better

Then I used the grill to hold it in place while the glue dried

Before the headlight bezels could be installed I needed to add some material to go between the grill and the radiator support that would capture the screws holding the center part in place

Once dried I slid one onto the center to test the fit

Happy I drilled the holes in line with the center ones

Before I could do the passenger side I needed to fix the mistake I did earlier so a very small piece of styrene was crafted

And glued into place

Next I test fitted the bracket on the inside

Then checked for fit to the radiator support

Now I drilled the final two holes that will hold the lite bezels in place. The top hole is pretty accurate to the 1:1 in location but the lower hole should actually be down further in that short lip under the bezel but there just isnt room.

More brackets were then made to mount to the radiator support

And the whole thing was then test fitted one last time

I think it looks great and the screws will disappear once the grill is painted black.

Even the corner marker fits nicely

A problem I did notice is that the upper part of the radiator support will interfere with my headlight. You can see it just behind the bezel at the top of the opening.

A simple cut and fold took care of the issue

Finally all the brackets were glued in place using the grill to position them. Here is how it looks with the grill off now.

With the final fitment done it was time to make more molds so I can make copies.

They turned out real nice. Here is the copy compared to the originals.

The best part is that other than some flashing clean up, they bolt right on without any drilling or additional modifications.

They installed easy as well. First the lite bezels

Then the center grill

Im extremely happy with how everything worked out.

The final step was to make the breakable parts. they turned out ok but I need more practice casting the parts. the material i use is heated first then poured into the molds with the top open. i can't use the molds as a 2 piece because the material solidifies to fast and would never fill the cavity.

once I get some paint on it, it should look like the real thing

There is more to do but it is getting closer to a complete truck.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #680
Pebble Pounder

what are you using for the breakable parts?
b00st3d-vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/147988-project-true-scale-aluminum-toyota-body.html
Posted By For Type Date
Кузова,все о них и для них - Страница 5 This thread Refback 10-05-2011 08:25 PM
Wow, Amazing Scale RC Toyota - Tacoma World Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:14 PM