Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Leaf Spring Conversion on G2 FJ40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Default Leaf Spring Conversion on G2 FJ40

I have finally found some time to work on my FJ40 leaf spring conversion for the RC4WD Gelande II. I started with a set of TF2 leafs and mounts/shackles and began planning from there. In the end I decided I really liked the look of a lifted FJ40 with 37-38" tires IRL, so I used a spring over axle configuration, placed the fixed leaf spring mount ahead of both axles and lengthened the wheel base a bit by moving the front axle forward and the rear axle rearward. This is a fairly common setup for the 1:1 Cruisers that are heavily modified, so I figured I would replicate it.

The results are almost exactly what I was after. The front is just about perfect while the rear gave me some fits and I had to disassemble/reassemble the frame about 3 or 4 times before I got it right. This only means that my next one will go much smoother. I fully expected the rear to be the easy part, but for some reason it was fighting me the whole way. Oh well, live and learn.

Right, so onto the pics. I am terrible at documenting anything I do (mostly because I have so little time to actually work on my RC's before I am interrupted by at least one of my 3 young sons) but at least I grabbed some after pics. And pay no attention to the loose wires, sideways leafs, etc. The truck is barely bolted together to test the fit/form/function of everything. I will fully disassemble and reassemble once everything is set.

Here is the look I am loosely modeling my Cruiser after, albeit with smaller tires as these appear to be 44" or so. But I really like the rear fenders being cut and the longer wheelbase.

Here is my GII FJ40 after the leaf spring swap, sitting on RC4WD Compass tires, which are 4.75" tall. The rear fenders obviously need to be cut, but I was planning on that all along. The front is just perfect though.

Here are a few shots of the leaf spring mounts and shackles for both front and rear. The rear shackles laid down quit a bit (lots of weight) and I may try some Revolver shackles to help out a bit.

After driving it around for a bit, I was shocked at how well the suspension seems to work, flexing perfectly with enough body lean to keep the weight planted. It is much more realistic than my TF2 kit, so I will most likely tear that one apart to see what’s up.

I am pretty sure I am using these jack stands wrong (there were no instructions... lol) but they illustrate the point. There is a ton of travel in this truck when fully loaded up with body, electronics and battery.

Obligatory flex shots...

I am very happy with the results thus far and will begin refining and adjusting the truck as I get further into completion. The list of items I need to take care of are as follows.

1. Axle degree shims to get the pinions pointed above level instead of toward the ground
2. Revolver shackles in the rear to help with the flat leafs/shackles
3. Chino and o-ring mod on the leafs
4. Replace lots of hardware with the proper length (many are currently 'just long enough')

and finally,

5. Cut those rear fenders

Thanks for looking.
TKW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Leaf Spring Conversion on G2 FJ40

seems like a big project.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

very nice!
i agree, for leafs that's got a TON of flex! just right though, like you said. not limiting, but still realistic. well done, sir!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That is a nice amount of flex. I've been eyeing RC4WD's leaf spring conversion kit but I don't want to lose a bunch of flex in the process. It sounds like you pieced the parts together yourself, do you know how the results would compare with using RC4WD's kit for the conversion?
TooOldForThis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemudder View Post
Lookin good. Love the extended wheelbase look. May have to try that with my Gen 7
Thanks! The shorter WB trucks look good with a stretch once you lift them up a bit. A little more stable than a pig on stilts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
seems like a big project.
Thanks! It's not so bad really, just time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
very nice!
i agree, for leafs that's got a TON of flex! just right though, like you said. not limiting, but still realistic. well done, sir!
Thanks! I was really surprised. I don't think I lost much over the coilovers, but the truck seems much more planted due to the stiffer springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
That is a nice amount of flex. I've been eyeing RC4WD's leaf spring conversion kit but I don't want to lose a bunch of flex in the process. It sounds like you pieced the parts together yourself, do you know how the results would compare with using RC4WD's kit for the conversion?
I had done some investigation on the RC4WD kit but no one on the internets had posted any thoughts as yet. Pardonmynoob and new2rocks had both suggested the TF2 route, and so I ordered a new set of take off springs and mounts from RCRecycler.com. There is now a build thread over at SBG where a builder used the kit for the swap. He is still in the early stages and is going for a stock look, but it appears to me that the SWB leaf springs do limit the travel compared to what you get with the TF2 springs. For a trail truck, I would go the custom TF2 route after seeing the short leafs. For a truly scale truck, I think the shorter leaf springs would be the way to go. Just my $0.02.

Here is a link to the build with the conversion kit.

http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/...J-Land-Cruiser
Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

TK,

I bought the G2 Spring conversion kit about a month ago, and it sat on the shelf as I looked at the SWB leaf compared to the TF2 leaf and decided if I wanted to move ahead with this project or not. About 2 days ago I decided the build moves forward, its the only way I will find out if I like it or not.
Attached Images

northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern hooligan View Post
TK,

I bought the G2 Spring conversion kit about a month ago, and it sat on the shelf as I looked at the SWB leaf compared to the TF2 leaf and decided if I wanted to move ahead with this project or not. About 2 days ago I decided the build moves forward, its the only way I will find out if I like it or not.

NH,

I know myself and many others will be very interested in your thoughts. And thank you for the great comparison between the standard TF2 leafs and the short leafs. Pretty large difference.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

I motivated myself today and was able to get the rear fenders cut... so. much. better.

It was very easy in all reality. I used a Dremel cut off wheel to remove the large sections, then swapped to the sanding drum to refine and create the final shape. I had some flat files and some Tamiya 2000 grit sandpaper (the foam backed kind... I have found this so useful for so many projects) to complete the finished look. I created a paper template to transfer the cutout from one side to the other. Worked like a charm.

Overall I am very happy with the fit and finish. The rear tires tuck perfectly with no/minimal rub and the look is just what I was after. I am thinking of adding some fender flares by buying 2 sets and combining them to make longer flares. But that is a project for another day.

Here are some after pics for your visual stimulation...

Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Looks good and with the bigger tires, the wheel wells need to be cut down for sure. What color code / name brand did you use for the paint.. Tamiya ?
northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern hooligan View Post
Looks good and with the bigger tires, the wheel wells need to be cut down for sure. What color code / name brand did you use for the paint.. Tamiya ?

Thanks!

Re: the paint, I wish I knew. I purchased it used so I do not know what the original owner used for paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaf Spring Conversion on G2 FJ40 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho leaf spring conversion crawlerax General Scale Talk 1 08-20-2010 01:38 PM
Leaf spring conversion RoadKing Axial SCX-10 3 04-30-2010 11:41 PM
WK Leaf spring conversion? crawler_king HPI Wheely King 0 12-01-2007 12:19 PM