Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RcBros MRC Scale Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
RcBros Hobbies

Default RcBros MRC Scale Chassis

I've been asked numerous times to come up with a scale chassis for the MRC. My first crawler ever was a decked out scaler so I guess its only right I do it again, only with my own twist.

Things I want and/or plan to incorporate:

Flexible wheelbase from 9" to 12" this is achieved by simply moving the shock tower we provide to mounting locations forward or back to accommodate your needs.

Universal
Something that both 1.9 and 2.2's can use as a scaler platform. Reason why our chassis will have multiple link mounting locations.

Panhard bar capable
Ideally I'd really love for our users to incorporate a panhard bar setup. Panhard mount will be provided of course. My prototype (below) has a frame mounted servo in prep for a panhard bar, however I cannot find a suitable plate to mount the shocks, so I'm brainstorming ideas..

Anyways, I'm looking for you, the buyer, and you the hobbyist for suggestions, comments and ideas. I won't produce it if it doesn't appeal and work as it should.

So I'm getting closer, still need to do the upper links.. I'm struggling with the front end, I want to run the servo mounted to the chassis but can't figure out the shock situation. Anyone can make a chassis that keeps the servo on the axle. But I've never seen a truck w/ the steering box on the axle.

Its only right to copy my 1:1 so I'm going with the hilux body

RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Would love to see someone come out with some leaf spring perchs for the axles and possibly some springs to go with them.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #3

im likeing the looks so far. im also interested in this chassis as well.
dougie fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #4

I'm definately interested in seeing what develops. I'm building my first scaler to match my 1:1 TJ.

I'm using the New Bright body, with a WB just over 9.5"

I know the New Bright body is a common one for us TJ and JK builders, so making it compatible for them and marketing the chassis for the Wrangler crowd could bring you success in this project. The 9" to 12" WB should be perfect for the TJ, though I'm not sure the WB of the JK body.

TSS has a custom TJ chassis for $100. I'd like to see one for cheaper.
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Talking First in line

I'll be first in line when these become avalilable! I am waiting to start my scaler until I get this chassis. The looks of your posted pics is exactly what I am looking for and I bet these will sell very well for you. Got any extra prototypes with hardware?? Long story short great work keep it up
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

As my idea, i just consider 4 points to a scale MRC:

1> The wheel base can be adjust around (10.5" ~ 12"),
2> The feasibility drive shafts (workable for WB as 10.5"~12"),
3> Retain the shock links, to reduce the cost,
4> Keep the wheel & tire, fully covered by the body shell, to make it in scale.

Here is my personal advice.
IS520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
RcBros Hobbies

Well its almost running. I'm looking for ideas on the drivelines. They seem rather long to me... What would you guys like to see?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
RCC Addict

great job on the chassis so far
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I"m in for one if you make them. I have a Rubi body that fits the mrc axles perfectly.
Patella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

whats the wheelbase on that thing? the shafts do look quite long maybe move the tranny back more center of the axles.. and the open area in the back behind the skid is going to hang up on everything. are you making skids for this thing? if not i think you should shorten the area where the skid mounts.

Last edited by akguanja; 04-14-2009 at 11:53 PM.
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

It doens't look very balanced out IMO. I would move the motor/tranny back towards the center of the chasis.

That front DS angle isn't going to be very effective either. I would suggest making framerails that drop down in the center to mount the motor/tranny. The way you have yours puts the COG too high IMO. You can check out my build in sig to see what I did with mine. It's not as pretty as something that's CNC'd (it was all done with cut-off wheel/dremel) but I can tell you that it kicks ass in the functional department.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #12

He has some good points. The driveshaft angles look way too steep. Plus, I think the wheelbase looks too long.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
RcBros Hobbies

Thanks for the words guys.. Here's a few things I'd like to mention.

My current wheelbase is that of the Tamiya Hilux body pictured above. So its something that is typical wheelbase of a 1.9 scaler.

My last scaler was the MSD scale chassis all decked out, loved the chassis, but I can tell this chassis CG is much lower and that chassis is a proven preformer.

As for the skid section, I based the center sections length off of 5 chassis already on the market, mine is the average of these five, both suitable for larger tranmission and that of a smaller one such as the MRC trany.

I believe what most of you are seeing is that fact the MRC parts are much smaller then usual which is making items appear much larger. If I placed a pede transmission in the middle everything would look normal. The chassis will have 2 diffferent optional trany mounts, one for small transmissions like the MRC, and one for larger transmissions like the 2.2

As for driveshaft, I was simply trying to get everything mocked up, I will be adding a delrin skid for the MRC transmission and centering it so that 1 normal set of stampede driveshafts can be used up front or in the rear, the chassis braces will be square rather then round an I'll even probably have a battery mount for the stock mrc battery. My main concern at the moment is simply seeing how the suspension is going to prefrom, the rest is easy in my opinion.

Again thank you for your comments and your concerns please keep them coming!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I'm very excited about what I see so far. The length of the rear driveshaft is not really a problem IMO and I actually like the look of it. We need to remember this is a scale chassis and the last time I was under my 1:1 my engine and tranny is in the front with a long drive shaft running to my rear.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniballer View Post
I'm very excited about what I see so far. The length of the rear driveshaft is not really a problem IMO and I actually like the look of it. We need to remember this is a scale chassis and the last time I was under my 1:1 my engine and tranny is in the front with a long drive shaft running to my rear.
Thats how my Jeep is and I agree that I like this option. Maybe a leafspring option for the rear suspension? I like that you are including 2 diff tranny mounts. The wheelbase adjustability is great imo and your skid area is spot on. Could you maybe add more lower link triangulation on the chassis side? Don't know if that removes the scale aspect from it if it does than its something i can fab up myself here at home. You guys are doin great eta forseeable yet or price range?Sorry just getting a little itchy
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
RcBros Hobbies

The chassis, blank skid, and braces will be the first on the market, then we will begin adding more options as time goes on. I have multiple things I'm working on right now and limited machine time but I hope to have a few out soon. Cost will be killer like always.

The suspension geometry will be up to the user so the posibilitys are endless
Old 04-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Progress
Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
RcBros Hobbies

My machinist has been rather busy and I'm trying to get the comp chassis out first.. I may just release this as the chassis, skid combo for now. I just need to finish electronics before I can begin crawlin with it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
RcBros Hobbies

Got it running today, so far so good! Needs some fine tuning and need to figure out a sufficient way to mount body then the testing begins
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #20

i cant wait to see some action shots! did you get the servo mounted to the chassis?
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote