Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Classic D90 comp build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Classic D90 comp build

My goal for this project is to make a very scale D90, from the suspension to the interior to the wheels. On the other side of that is the fact that this will be my primary scale comp rig, of which I have only been to one. The body came from Honk Kong, as most of these do. I did get a great deal on it though and they guy I bought it from is willing to do a discount for a big order, so let me know if you are interested.

Stats:
ESC - FXR - with CC BEC @ 7oz
Motor - 55T integy (may get a holmes later depending on this set up works)
Tranny - R2D tranny with disconnect (which wont be used during comps, only for trail rides.)
Axles: T-Rex 60's
Radio - Saving up for either a 3PK or Dx3r, currently going to run my TQ3 modded for 3rd channel steer (running the winch)
Batteries - 2200 - 2700 2c Lipos, coming soon
Chassis - my own made from 1/2" steel square tube, bent, drilled and halved.
Wheels - repro landy wheels, not the nice RC4WD ones, the cheaper plastic ones, got them today they do look great.
Tires - RC4WD Mud Thrashers with stock foams for now.
Body - The real deal, straight from Hong Kong/china, Land rover Defender 90. Mine came unpainted in white, which I think makes the whole painting process easier.
Color - white top, body painted dark green, forest green like.
Will fab up front and rear bumbers and roof rack/ladder eventually. Deciding now on where I want to mount the 5th tire, hood or rear.? On to the pics:

The body

Some bits and pieces of the body:

THe first chassis I made came out way off on the rear, so i tried it again and I am pretty happy with it now.

Pics of the chassis work. Its still a mess from all the brazing this weekend, but will be cleaned up this weekend. I also have to redo the rear upper 3 link mounts, make them taller.

With the new wheels, the width is a bit better, they still poke out just a bit, but I think I can live with it. I may eventually switch over to hummer rims, but time will tell.

I plan to start on the body work this weekend, need to get some super fine sandpaper 600-1000-2000 grit. Then an airbrush, because I dont like the way spray paint turns out. Let me know what you think...
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Hateraide

are you gonna make a new plate for the four links cause that one wont hold up but otherwise looks good
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Nice

I like what I'm seeing. This is going to be a cool looking rig.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
are you gonna make a new plate for the four links cause that one wont hold up but otherwise looks good
Yep, what you there are just templates, I have thicker steel that I'm going to use. The finished product will also be much cleaner.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I will get the chassis cleaned up and the rest of the link mounts done this weekend if not sooner. It will look 10 times better once I do, and 100 times better when its painted.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

looking good
nice body
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Little update. Got the new shock and link mounts made up from thicker steel and the chassis cleaned up. I had to lean the rear shocks so much because they are TLT's, and they are not smooth. I ordered up some new shocks from RC4WD to replace the TLT's, and if they work out they will sit more vertical like they should. The rear springs came out way better than I expected and actually work pretty well. I think they are a bit stiff though, need to find and test some softer ones. Flex is decent, but needs a bit more (just realized I didnt take pics of it flexing, will get some up soon). The front axle is almost mounted now, just need to figure out where to put the upper links. I didnt want to have to do a 3 or 4 link up front, but after reading up on suspension setups it looks like even with a panhard bar there will need to be some form of upper links. The hard part here is keeping the truck both accurate and competitive. On to some pics, and please dont hesitate to comment either good or bad, it keeps me motivated.

Before--

After--

Few more--

Body work should start soon. Picked up some sandpaper, everything from 200 - 2000 grit. Just need to get the filler out and find the right paint.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Forgot to mention that I dont really like how far back the tranny sits. Since I am absolutely commited to not cutting the body, I think Im gonna have mount the motor up front and use a transfer case. Sigh, now Im in the market for a transfer case and gear reduction unit (have a GD600 but not gonna use it, prob going with the HPI GRU for the WK.)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Just got the HPI GRU from KRAWLR4life and have the 45t integy mounted to it. This weekend I will be pulling the R2 and probably fitting an Axial trans in as a transfer case and mounting the motor/gru up front. I will also get the front links done, adding either one or two uppers for support, just havent decided on whether I need 2 or if one will do. Any suggestions or tims would be great.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I think its a nice project.
Couple things off the top of my head:
-the chassis, particularly the smaller bits you added (shock mounts, etc) look terrible. However, the spring upper perches you remade look good so I can see it all looking much better when done.
-the current shock location is terrible. glad to see you're moving them back with the new shocks. why not move these back now?
-you're going to find this is a top-heavy body for a scale rig.

if I were to make one of these I'd cut the top completely off and make this:
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thank you for the comments Pantablo, thats exactly what I need to keep motivated. I agree that the shock mounts dont look good as it sits, but I will be brazing them in and smoothing them down shortly. The rear shock mounts, that dont line up with the bottom of the chassis, just havent ground those down yet. I wont braze anything in until I am sure its where i want it, made that mistake a few times.

The shocks I ended up getting from RC4WD were not at all what I expected. This was my fault for not paying close attention to the specs, so I need to find something else. I have moved the shocks back upright now too.

Yes it is a bit top heavy, but I like the hard top. Although I do plan on using this rig in comps, I dont care if I win, I just go to have fun. Besides, we have had only one scaler comp since I got into this hobby and none are in sight.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default update

Got most of the chassis work done. Cleaned and trimmed the shock and link mounts, mounted the motor and axial/transfer case. I still need to get the panhard bar put in, and front shocks. The rear springs are probably going to be swapped out for softer ones, once I can find some. Also switched the rear to 4 link versus 3 link. Once I get the chassis all finished up I will clean it and paint it. Let me know what you think.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Cool project!
Where did you get that body, looks awsome!
warfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfile View Post
Cool project!
Where did you get that body, looks awsome!
The bay.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

its looking really good.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
its looking really good.
Thanks Pablo.

Got the front suspension put together. I will get it cleaned up tomorrow, and get the panhard bar mounted. Ended up using the TLT shocks up front, and stock MRC shocks in the rear. The rear flex looks pretty good to me, but the front needs a bit more. I think a longer shock will help that out, just gotta get one. Also got the drivetrain in, kinda rough, but it works for now.

Zipties are temporary

Stance - the goal anyway

Comments welcome...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Got the panhard in, and servo. Since these photos I actually got the links to lay down much better, more parrellel to each other. A quick test on the carpet shows that its pretty descent right now, no major tweeking will be needed. My only concern will be the side I put the panhard on, it goes opposite of the steering linking and Im not sure if thats limiting anything. Any opinions are certainly welcome.

Remember, the links all site rather parrellel to each other now, just havent snapped that pic yet. But here you can see the panhard on the left and the rest of the links on the right. Testing it briefly showed no real limitations, so I think it will be ok.

Last edited by sgtsteve; 08-09-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Here it is after a few quick adjustments:
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for all of the pics, I just ordered a body, wheels and tires from the same guy in Hong Kong, he is also on scale4x4rc.org. I know that your front panhard rod should be running the same way that the drag links runs or you will get really bad bump steer as the suspension cycles up and down.

How well does the WK GRU work for you? It's one of the ideas I have for my drivetrain.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

So, where can I pick up one of these bodies? Hook me up fellas

Oh yes, you definitely need to rework that front suspension/steering. The drag link and track bar can not cross each other like that.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote