Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The "Chino Clone" - Chapter 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The "Chino Clone" - Chapter 2

Hey Guys, well for those of you who may not have known I was lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time and bought 1BadJeepBruisers legendary "Chino Clone" Toyota Hybrid. ( For you "Newbies" reading this that may not be familiar with this truck Please check out THIS thread below.... )

1BadJeepBruisers Chino Clone. An RCC Legend

This is "THE" scale truck that started it ALL for alot of people on here, including ME . At the time when Mike originally built this truck, there were only a handful of them around. There was NO such thing as the "re-release Tamiya Toyota Hilux" like everybody's familiar with today. You had to be lucky enough to FIND an OG Bruiser frame and OG body on Ebay, and then be able to build everything up on your own. This "hybrid" wasn't store bought, and the amount of insane small scale details that Mike included when building it is what makes it special.

Now comes the beginning of the second chapter in the "Chino Clones" life . It is not going to change much at ALL from what you see below. If anything I will only try to ADD to this Awesome piece of Crawling History..

( MIKE - "1BadJeepBruiser" deserves ALL the credit for this incredible truck- I am just lucky enough to now own and drive it..)

When I bought it from him, heres how I originally recieved it.

Heres a shot of the OG "Clone" and the one I built up that very closely resembles it..

I ALWAYS remembered seeing pics of the Clone without the Canback and also LOVED the look with the original toolbox Mike had built for it. SO I re-installed it and also tried another set of wheels. These are a set of stock Axial SCX-10 rims and 1.9" Proline Flatirons .

I really liked the look of the new wheels and tires, but because this truck is now running the modified "Rummy Bruiser Axles", the offset of the axial rims made the track width WAY too wide.. ( which is why Mike had the narrow offset rims with the Trail Dr. tires on it).

So I tried a few other sets, and ended up choosing the set I originally had on my Hybrid. It is now running a set of painted RC4WD Truescale beadlocks with 62Pyro "Sally" beadlock trim rings and 1.9" Rock Crushers. Because of the narrow offset of the Truescale wheels, the track width is about right now. Plus the Crushers are a tad smaller then the Flatirons and Trail Dr's, which looks alot more scale on the truck IMO..

Onto some NEW Wheelin' Pics- Enjoy

I did do a little paint touch-up work along the drip edge because there was Yellow paint coming thru and it just didn't look right on the truck, so I went over it. I ALSO added a few 4 Wheelin' magazines in the interior

Back out on the trails...

LOL - I already added a few NEW scratches of my own..!!

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 08-16-2009 at 08:20 PM.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

very very cool

looks nice with the new/old mods
crunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Glad it went to a good home! Also, it won't be lonely because all of the other awesome rigs you built
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

damn, i still can't believe mike sold it. that thing's probably got more miles on it than any other scaler here on RCC, it really is a legendary rig.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Chapter 2 begins... Looks great. What are you doing with the canback? I still cant believe that this truck isnt in the next town over from me. Whenever I would wheel rigs or work on 1.1s at Mikes place I would always have to look at it on the shelf. Such a great rig and when it was built it was way ahead of its time as far as "scaleness". Great score and it is in the best new home it could be.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Looks good with the RC4WD wheels Chris Never thought of trying those, they have more detail then the eritex which is nice. I will get that paint out to you this week, I forgot to grab to bring today so hopefully 2morrow.

Glad to see it out getting used, I definitely used it which is kind of a good thing for you...I got that whole 1st scratch hurts the most out of the way for you
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

looks awsome and i like it when someone puts thier rigs to the test.
TNredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

wicked body
nice pics
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Great to see that rig on here again, it was and is an insperation to me too. Can't wait to see where you take this "redo".
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I think I stared at this truck for almost an hour at the Scale Nats in Ben's shop. So much detail, really inspiring!

I have a feeling the Clone will be around til the end of time!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Hey Guys, no real "update" so to speak - Its been a while since I've driven this truck last, so I took the ole' "Chino Clone" out today for a run thru the freshly built rock garden at my new house. I ended up swapping out the 1.9" Rock Crushers in favor of some RC4WD 1.55" Stompers on white steelies.. ( looks and crawls 100% better..!).

I still love this truck - and even to this date, its is one of the best crawling/wheeling trucks I've EVER owned..! Just point it, squeeze the trigger, and up and over it goes..! Heres a few pics from the run today - enjoy..!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

damn this thing is looking good!!!
im diggin it keep it up!!
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks really good with the new wheels! Sweet!
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

If there was a Scale Hall of Fame, the Chino Clone would have to be the first inductee. Glad to see it being WHEELED like it should be, not a shelf queen. I'm gethering parts for my second Bruiser build and was wondering what you think of the Stompers. Keep it the great work
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Still looks great! love the new shoes!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks Guys..

To answer CutlaSS' question, I LOVE the new 1.55" stompers.. They are nice and soft, and bite really well on the rocks I was driving on. As far as looks, they are second to NONE..! These are THE best looking, most accurate scale tire EVER !

Funny thing was that I'd been saving that set of shoes for a future project, and just set one of them next to the Clone to see what they'd look like.. I honestly didn't think I was going to like the white wagon wheels with the brown and black paint on the truck, but mounted on the truck the look just simply "works".
Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Yeah keep them new shoes on the Clone bro

I was saving my shoes for another project and ended up putting my shoes on my Hybrid also.
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Sinking with the ship

Glad to see this rig is still kicking Chris, It looks really awesome with the new 1.55s on it I am also glad to see it still has all of its original battle scars
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote