Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: New Tamiya Bronco scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Tamiya Bronco scale build

Well after seeing this new Tamiya Bronco body and how scale it is my wheels started turning. I sold my 2.2 scale Bronco to fund this build. Its funny I almost oredered this body from online and one day here in Japan I went to one of the 2 local Japanese rc stores. As funny as it sounds I never thought there would be crawling stuff here. I walked in and there is a mini drift course, 1:10 scale drift course and to my surprise........a CRAWLER COURSE!! Well first thing I saw was a prebuilt version of every rig Tamiya and Axial make including the Bronco. So I wondered over to look at the bodies and vuala there it was TAMIYA 1973 FORD BRONCO BODY...for........25.00!!!! So I grabbed one (they only had 1) and will be going back. TONS of crawler stuff. Even had the Land Cruiser body like 7 of them for 20.00. Well that's where I started, with the body. Anyways here are the specs and a few very, very early pictures. Trying to decide on which 1.55" tire to use. I could use any help on deciding I can get.

Specs:
- Tamiya Bronco Body
- Trex 60 axles
- working winch
- 1.55" Tires and wheels
- SCX shortened chassis
- Scale suspension (like my 2.2) (coils up front leafed rear)
- SCX RTR bumpers
- RPP Outback tire carrier set
- Complete interior
- Killer Transfer case
- Novac Crawler ESC
- Integy 55t

pics are temporary with CR-01 links

Last edited by drtrydr2000; 09-21-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Body story
drtrydr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice! Really like the new Tamiya body, been wantin to see what people on here would dream up with it. Good luck and keep us posted on progress!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks!! Yeah I will try to stay on top of this thing. Being in the Air Force and working 12hours, living in Japan, having a New Born and working on a 1:1 Lifted Toyota Surf and shopping for parts for my 1:1 1973 Bronco thats in the states still, is really going to take a toll on my RC time....LOL.

I plan on this being a very nice trail rig. Also building a CC-01 version with a stock apperence.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very nice ride whats your thoughts on the body thinkit would fit the scx or not.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

You would have to trim down the scx chassis. would be some work I would think.

Looking good drtrydr2000. I am starting my build as well. Had to trim down an existing chassis I had, now, I may have issues with the drivelines.

1.55 would look killer on that. I would go for the mud terrains from RC4WD myself. And them killer new 5 lug wheels they came out with.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
Very nice ride whats your thoughts on the body thinkit would fit the scx or not.
Thank you. You need to cut about 1" maybe a tad bit more off the rear to make it fit. i will be doing that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
You would have to trim down the scx chassis. would be some work I would think.

Looking good drtrydr2000. I am starting my build as well. Had to trim down an existing chassis I had, now, I may have issues with the drivelines.

1.55 would look killer on that. I would go for the mud terrains from RC4WD myself. And them killer new 5 lug wheels they came out with.

Thanks yeah its going to take some time to figure it all out but it will be worth it. Im haing the same problems with the drive shafts. I am going to probably be using mini LST springs to get the drive angles I need and then adjust the body to the tires.

Mud terrains are my choice right now but really like the new stompers. Might get both.... The 1.55 5 lugs are going to be ordered as soon as the guy gets the Bronco and the money from it is spendable without fear of a lost item in the mail.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Only pair of tires I have right now are some tomahawks. Right now. the Bronco is on 1.9 crushers as well. The Tomahawks look a little big, like 35's on a small Bronco. lol, But, they will have to do. I am thinkin about lookin into the Mini Losi crawler driveshafts if I can't make the Stampedes work. I think I can though.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
Only pair of tires I have right now are some tomahawks. Right now. the Bronco is on 1.9 crushers as well. The Tomahawks look a little big, like 35's on a small Bronco. lol, But, they will have to do. I am thinkin about lookin into the Mini Losi crawler driveshafts if I can't make the Stampedes work. I think I can though.

I was looking at the driveshaft options and have CR-01 driveshafts I am going to try. What sucks is I have my RC4wd aluminum driveshafts from my other Bronco build still and want to use them. Giess they will make it over to my crew cab F350 build.

Anyway cutting the frame tommorrow night and going to figure the killer transfer case thing out. Going to be a tight fit. The interior might be tricky.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well here she is with the cut frame. Sorry the pics are so bad. I dont have a really good camera. Also showing the setup that seems to work for those that want to use the SCX chassis like i did. The big tire 4 link look is reallly looking cool on this but I got to stick to my guns and do a true scaler. Already made one big order to RPP more to come. OH and body is rough cut. Here ya go. Input greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Looks good. What is your wheel base @ with that body?
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
Looks good. What is your wheel base @ with that body?

Ill have to measure that. Ill get back with ya.

Well I got one order in from RPP with my SCX front bumper and interior detail kit in it. Also got an Outback series tire carrier for it as well.
Just a heads up guys....that SCX bumper is HUGE!! Its an inch wider on BOTH SIDES of my Bronco body. I held it up to my HPI bronco body and it almost fits nicly but needs just a little trimming. Im trying to debate what to do. I might cut it down and rework the tubes or something. Might just wait for the HBZ bumpers to come out.
The tire carrier is AWESOME!! Looks really good on held up to it. I ordered the bumper for it yesterday and will have it mounted soon.

Anyways placed another order and have this on the way:
-1.55" Aluminum black wheels
-1.55" BFG Mud Terrain tires
-1.55" Stompers
Ill get pics up soon of what I got already and how it looks. Just wanted to give a quick update...thats what happens when you are bored at work
Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I forgot to add someone asked me why the body wasnt painted in a PM. Its not painted cause I amgoing to take my time. It will take a while to get it how I want it. No stickers will be going on it at all. All the trim and flares will be hand painted semi-gloss black and the body will be copper with a Gloss black top. The lights (except headlights) will be smoked and a light kit installed. More time going into the body than the actual chassis since the scx is soooooo easy to work with. I have a 1:1 1973 Bronco ranger edition that when I get back to the states I can drive up to a body shop hand them my Tamiya Bronco body and say.."here make it look like this".....
Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

the suspension would be pretty easy to make it accurately scale for a 1st gen bronco.

The RCBros steering kit would convert it to 3 link in the front and the RCbro rear leaf conversion would take care of that end.

The build looks great so far, keep up the good work!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrydr2000 View Post
Ill have to measure that. Ill get back with ya.

Well I got one order in from RPP with my SCX front bumper and interior detail kit in it. Also got an Outback series tire carrier for it as well.
Just a heads up guys....that SCX bumper is HUGE!! Its an inch wider on BOTH SIDES of my Bronco body. I held it up to my HPI bronco body and it almost fits nicly but needs just a little trimming. Im trying to debate what to do. I might cut it down and rework the tubes or something. Might just wait for the HBZ bumpers to come out.
The tire carrier is AWESOME!! Looks really good on held up to it. I ordered the bumper for it yesterday and will have it mounted soon.

Anyways placed another order and have this on the way:
-1.55" Aluminum black wheels
-1.55" BFG Mud Terrain tires
-1.55" Stompers
Ill get pics up soon of what I got already and how it looks. Just wanted to give a quick update...thats what happens when you are bored at work

That combination would rock!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

any updates?
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Sorry its been a while since I messed with the truck but I have a little bit done. I sold the trex 60s and trying to save up for some D35 axles. The body is painted black and I do have my tires and rims for it. I also got a custom bumper and a tire carrier for it. I will post some pics up soon.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #17

Default Looking good!!

Looking good! I'm about to build the same thing, but I didn't realize that would have to cut the frame... thanks for the heads up! any good rocks down south?

How's the build coming? Got any updates, or pearls of wisdom?

By the way, there is only a few of us up here in Misawa that are into RC crawling, but it's catching on.

Chris
Grabby544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabby544 View Post
Looking good! I'm about to build the same thing, but I didn't realize that would have to cut the frame... thanks for the heads up! any good rocks down south?

How's the build coming? Got any updates, or pearls of wisdom?

By the way, there is only a few of us up here in Misawa that are into RC crawling, but it's catching on.

Chris

HEY whats goin on. Thanks for the compliment. Yeah I havent found anybody yet that speaks english here that is into crawling...LOL. They do have a pretty nice course here at a local hobby store. Also carry a lot of Axial but it is WAAYYY over priced. 100.00 for a SCX frame set. Did get the Bronco body for 2500 YEN though There are some good natural areas to crawl. Mainly around the beaches and on the coral so one slip up and your rig sinks to Davy Jones locker..corney i Know...LOL. but none the less yeah there are a few places. Its killing me that my 1:1 73 Bronco (RALPH) is half way across the world sitting in my parents driveway. This is as close as I can get....LOL. Im taking my time to get it right. Had to buy a Surf to help the 1:1 4x4 urges. As far as advice on that build here are some tips:

1) if you want to go for the 1.9 rims the creepers are AWESOME on there and fit the scale great at a scale 38" tire. 1.55 I would go with the Thrashers for a scale 37" tire (which is on my 1:1). I have a set of both and just cant decide on which one to go with.

2) If you want to go with a four link set up the CR-01 links work perfect to get the wheelbase just right. I was using trex60 axles though. The only Axles that are going to be the right width are going to be the D35 axles from RC4wd in my opinion. The trex's are too wide and I did some measuring and Hi Lift axles are the same width. Im only assuming TLTs are the same. I dunno.

3) Cut the frame right in the middle of the AXIAL logal on the rear part of the rails and the reciever box will still bolt in there to look JUST LIKE a Bronco gas tank (you can also bolt it in first and just cut so that it fits snug when you put the rear frame brace on).
As far as the front cut just to the FRONT of the holes for attaching the crossmember that looks like a 1:1 motor mount area.

I will update soon with some pics. Its pretty much torn down and I have no Axles on it. Pics soon though.

ED
Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

You never mentioned your wheelbase. Care to share? The build is awsome.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here are some...well...ok pics of it mocked up without axles. The pics are kinda crappy. The wife has the camera in here purse. These were taken with an Iphone. There is also a pic of it on a CC01 chassis from a while back. I am leaning towards the creepers on this but I think it because of the black body with the black rims not looking good together. This isnt the body that is going to stay though. I have a nicer one in the works.

WHEELBASE IS 9.5" sorry forgot to add that.